Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Automatic Headlight Problems? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Automatic Headlight Problems? Help!

I just bought anther 99' Trans Am. I brought it home today and started it up in the garage and the lights flipped up and came on. I thought maybe something was wrong but when I pulled it out into the daylight, they went down after about a minute and visa versa.

Am I correct that none of them came with automatic lights? Could the guy before me have put them in?

Also, I can't turn them off at all. So everytime I start it in my garage, the lights pop up and then go down a minute later. That's just extra wear on them. Can anyone help please?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Canadian Firebirds came with automatic headlights. They can be easily added to a US model by just installing the light sensor available from the dealer for $20.

Disabling automatic headlights on a Firebird is exactly the same as on a Camaro - just connect the two sensor wires together so the system thinks it's daylight all the time.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there anyway to make it so you can turn them off, like by the switch? I wanna be able to make them turn off, but turn them to automatic when I want to? You know what I am saying?

Oh, and where is the light sensor?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

You can add a switch to enable and disable the automatic headlights but you can't use the factory headlight switch to do it. After all, it's already in the off position when your headlights go on automatically. Instead of just connecting the two sensor wires together, connect them through a switch. When the switch is on, the automatic function is bypassed (manual mode only) and when the switch is off the automatic headlight function will work.

The sensor is located in the dash next to the red alarm LED beside the defroster vent.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright man. That will be easy to wire that. Thanks a lot!

Oh shoot, one more question, how do you get to the sensor? Can you take the vent out? Again, thanks for the help.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

From the Lighting FAQ:
Originally Posted by VIP1
Auto Headlight Defeat

The light sensor for the feature is located near the alarm LED. Short together the two wires going to it. A Scotch Lock works well for this (3M calls it Scotchlok). That will make the system think its always daytime and never auto activate the headlights. If you want a less permanent defeat or want some control over when to defeat it, you can wire in a switch instead of just shorting them together.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by The Trans Am Kid
Alright man. That will be easy to wire that. Thanks a lot!

Oh shoot, one more question, how do you get to the sensor? Can you take the vent out? Again, thanks for the help.
Remove the t-tops. At the top of the windshield pillar trim, remove the two Phillips screws then remove the windshield pillar trim (it just snaps off after the screws are removed). Carefully pry up the edge of the upper dash panel. It is held in place by a combination of clips and velcro pads. You can see one of the clips in the photo just above the words "Light Sensor". BE CAREFUL! The edges of the panel are sharp (don't ask how I found that out, he says as he types with nine fingers ). Also, the plastic can get somewhat brittle with age so it's best to pry it up in small sections - don't just pry up the center and then try to lift the whole thing.

Once you get the dash panel pried up, you'll see the sensor just like in the photo VIP1 posted above. The whole job can be done in 10 minutes after you've done it the first time and know where all the clips are. Allow about half an hour for the first time.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

WhiteBird00, thanks for the overview. I added it to the entry in the Lighting FAQ.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am a little worried about breaking a clip on the dash. Thanks a lot! I am going to do this. Thanks again!