Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

aux adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aux adapter?

anyone know of a good aux adapter?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

For the stock monsoon? If you're using just an ipod, go with the isimple. You can get it at Best Buy for 100 bucks. I love mine. You can control the ipod for simple functions like fast forward and skip track through the HU and steering wheel controls, but you can also control the ipod fully through the click wheel. That's a feature that some interfaces dont have.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Can you elaborate more on the ISimple solution?

I have been procrastinating on a new stereo purchase only to get the IPod USB features but I am really quite happy with the Monsoon (just a simple guy I guess).
Old 05-02-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ummmm, well, isimple is a module that plugs into the back of the monsoon HU and has a plug for your ipod on it with a good long cable. It's the wide plug that fits into the bottom of the ipod. It charges the ipod and it plays through the stereo where the cd changer would be. So, in that case, I don't think that the cd changer will work anymore, if you have one. But, then again, if you have an ipod input, what do you need a cd changer for? I don't remember the particulars of how it hooks up to the deck, but it only took about 20 minutes or so for me to do it. I think you just unplug the factory harness plug and replace it with the isimple plug and then plug the factory plug into the isimple, putting it in-line. I really haven't been disappoint with it at all. It does lag a little bit when using the steering wheel controls, but I haven't found it to be a problem. Oh yeah, the ipod also shuts off automatically when you turn the car off, too.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

You didn't say what year you car is, so just bear in mind that it won't work with single CD head units before the 2000 model year (it works with all years of cassette head units). Basically, like all of the other auxiliary adapters, it only works with head units that support an external CD changer.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

good call
Old 05-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks folks, that really cleared it up.

I have a 1999 single CD Z28 monsoon full factory install, and want to keep it (I'm very happy). But,,,, also, I _REALLY_ want to be able to use either USB or IPod (direct connect only) and get rid of the Cd's.

I was getting very excited about the ISimple until I went to bestbuy. That units directions only showed corvette 2000-up and now after reading the last post that explains it.

I didn't know there was a difference in the 2 years 1999 and 2000 regarding the monsoon hu.

Thanks for the feed back and feel free to recommend anything that you think would get me where I want to go with this.

I know a new aftermarket is available but I really like the monsoon just fine, right now at least.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

There are plenty of people selling 2000+ Monsoon head units here (in the Parts for Sale section) and on eBay. You can usually get one for around $100 then you could add the auxiliary adapter. You could even sell yours to someone who wants to replace a cassette head unit.

Quick Reply: aux adapter?