Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

dash lights and tripometer resetting randomly...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question dash lights and tripometer resetting randomly...

Everytime I start my car, and even sometimes when I'm driving, all of my dash lights will come on and the gages will go almost all the way over and then back down and the lights turn off after a second.

I know when starting the car the lights are supposed to come on for a little bit just to show you that they are working and then go off, but why would this happen when I'm already driving?

And before this problem, when I started my car the gauges never went all the way over and then back down. I was wandering about this too. Its like I have a loose connection but the gauges have never done this when starting the car till this whole problem came up.

When this happens, during driving and after this problem is over the gauges read like they are supposed to. if I'm moving the speed goes back to normal and the rpms read fine but the tripometer resets to zero.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your running voltage?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

right where it normally is...
Old 05-01-2008, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Have not had this happen when driving - but upon starting up had the gauges sweep and reset the tripometer when the battery was about ready to die, might wanna have it tested
Old 05-01-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it's probably your battery. My car did it a few times and it turned out the negative cable was loose on the battery terminal. Check that stuff.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
Yeah it's probably your battery. My car did it a few times and it turned out the negative cable was loose on the battery terminal. Check that stuff.
Thanks. they weren't loose but I tightened them up a little bit more and it hasn't happened in a couple days
Old 05-04-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it still does, look for corosion. It can hide in strange places. On my 89 Yoda it was in the main starter wire. One day it just did not want to start, yet the battery voltage was good. So I took the truck to Checker to see if those tards can se if the starter was good, they said my starter was bad. I said **** that and bypassed the wiring and hooked up the battery straight to the starter and it worked.

Long story short, I cut the wire open and it was just full of corrosion. But, everything on the outside of the wire looked just fine.

Quick Reply: dash lights and tripometer resetting randomly...