Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monstercable VS Scosche

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Monstercable VS Scosche

In one of my post there was small debate on Scosche Wiring being just as good as Monstercables Wiring. I believe you get what you pay for and I truely believe that Monster is a better product. Let's not talk about price here because we all know that Monster Cables are up there. Let's just talk about Audio Performance, quality of each and ect. Not trying to create an arguement but just trying to see what people's opinions are. I'm a total noob when it comes to Audio stuff and Hatch has helped me out greatly (thanks Hatch).

These comments were in my post:

Comment 1: You can never go wrong with Monster Cable. The Tsunami stuff from Circuit City is pretty good, too. I've never used it, but I'm sure the Rockford stuff from Best Buy is good, too. Just don't go buy that stuff at Walmart. Sure, it's cheaper, but it's crappier stuff.

Comment 2: Scosche is the cheapest and best in my opinion. Their wiring is a "true" gauge spec, unlike the other generics. It is also available at WalMart and it is very cheap(use the 4 gauge, it's only 25 Bucks). That also goes for the harness and antenna adapter(WalMart, 8 Bucks).

Comment 3: I'd hate to say it, but I have to disagree with the recommendation to use scosche wiring, especially if you can get Monster at a good price. I used to work at Circuit City, and we replaced some wires in a customers car once that had scosche 4 gauge and we compared it to the tsunami 4 gauge. The scosche had much more insulation and much less wire than the tsunami. The 8 gauge Tsunami had almost as much wire as the scosche. Of course this is all my opinion, but I say you get what you pay for in this case.

Comment 4: Scosche kits from Wal-mart are just as good.... And yes, they are. Just as good.

Comment 5: You can say that all day long, but I'll never believe that a Scoche kit is the same quality of a Monster kit. As I said earlier in this thread, we did a side by side cross-sectional comparison and the Scoche was the same size overall, but had twice as much jacket and less wiring in a 4 gauge wire.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

You obviously know where I stand on this one, but thought I'd post anyway, Monster Cable!

Last edited by Hatchetman337; 05-07-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

Hahaha, thanks Hatch.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

monster cable is great stuff as is tsunami. i think with some of this stuff u are payin for a name more then anything

but scosche is garbage ive used it
Old 05-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Launching!

I installed a scosche dual kit from wal-mart for my fiance's car with 2 amps, everything works great thus far. i have no beefs with it. I just purchased a badass kit from tsunami for my firebird and im chompin at the bit to install it ( im stuck working offshore) The Tsunami is deffinately worth the scratch in my opinion very high quality from what i have seen. Not to mention i got a dual amp kit, with 1.5 Digital Cap and Digital Fuse block and Digital Dist block for just over 120 bucks.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im also a big fan of knukonceptz i use there stuff alot
Old 05-07-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

No one here runs Monster Cable?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

I really hate to break your heart but wire is wire. power, ground and speaker wire are all pretty much the same thing from brand to brand. One might be a big smaller or be wrapped in a different color but its all the same metal inside. they all do what they are supposed to do. I used to work for Circuit City roadshop and Ive installed Walmart stuff and stuff we sell. Ive stripped a million power wires from various makes. Its the same. If you wanna say "I spend alot of money on my CABLES and Ill only use the best" then by all means do it. But dont expect a difference in voltage or anything. (As long as you are using the right guage wire from both brands)

AS far as RCA's are concerned I wil never cheap out on this. There is a difference in RCA's because of the shielding and stuff used in the higher end product. Less noise to enter your system.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I purchased the most expensive one from Monster.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I totally agree with you about the RCAs, but I'm surprised that you say the Walmart wire is the same. Our roadshop spent a whole day laughing about how much different the Scosche wire was from the Tsunami. As far as Tsunami and Monster, they seem to be about the same. Of course, as you said, there won't be a difference in voltage (there would be something very strange going on if there was), but a lesser quality copper containing more impurities or one with fewer wire such as my description of the scosche wire would have a higher resistance.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

i hate to break it to you guys but wire is not wire.. well in a sense yes its just wire but if you are looking for quality well constructed wire i would go with something more expensive then walmart junk. i talk from experience i used walmart **** in my car and had the most annoying alternator wine ever. i tryed useing a ground loop isolator but it couldn't handle the amount of volts going threw the rca's. bottom line i switched to a middle of the road wire called " stinger" you can find them on ebay pretty cheap. the wire is about as thick as a toothpick but yet no alternator wine what so ever and my bass tightened up and improved the high's so much i had to turn the trebble down. if i was you i would do it right the first time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stinger-PRO-3-4-...ayphotohosting
Old 05-07-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

power wire will not cause any type of wine. RCAS and a bad ground will tho. But still no signal goies in the the ground wire so it has nothing to do with the quality of the wire. through my personal experience with installs I have never found a problem with the cheap vs the expencive wiring except for the RCAS
Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by x2jesse1x
power wire will not cause any type of wine. RCAS and a bad ground will tho. But still no signal goies in the the ground wire so it has nothing to do with the quality of the wire. through my personal experience with installs I have never found a problem with the cheap vs the expencive wiring except for the RCAS
my bad i was talking strickly about rca's i thought thats what the thread was about . long day at work
Old 05-07-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Monstercable VS Scosche = Who cares?

RCA's maybe, but otherwise this is a waste of time.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

We'd hate to waste your valuable time while you're browsing through a message forum
Old 05-07-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

lol...
Old 05-07-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

I only used Monster products. But i also pay slim to none for the stuff so i duno.. Im not a fan of cheap audio ...
Old 05-07-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO RCAs are very important as others have said

ive found not all power cable is equal though the walmart stuff i have used wasnt near as thick as real 4ga, maybe its changed though this was years ago
Old 05-08-2008, 05:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as far as patch cables go, Monster Cable stuff may be good quality, but they're WAY overpriced. you can get other brands that have just as much shielding for far less. there's really two main things in patch cables (as far as the construction of the cable is concerned) that influence the sound:

1) the shielding, and
2) whether or not the wires are twisted.

a twisted-pair patch cable with less shielding can give you better sound quality than a standard, parallel-run pair of patch cables with more shielding. why do you think they twist the pairs of cables in phone & ethernet wiring, and look how little shielding/insulation they have. and the shielding/twisted pair really only even matters when you are running the cable parallel to either a long stretch of metal (such as along a bare floorpan of a car) or parallel to a power cable (such as when you run your power/ground wire alongside the patch cable...which should never be done, btw).

the best thing to do is pick the cheapest (cost-wise) of the "good" patch cables, because spending more beyond that is just wasting money.

i recommend picking up a car audio magazine or reading some reviews of different makes/models of patch cables online before deciding on a certain cable to run. unless i can somehow get my hands on some Monster Cable products for less than the competitor, MC can kiss my *** with their overpriced stuff.

now, as for power/ground/speaker wires, you don't really have to worry about the "quality" of the cable....in this application (for the most part) wire is wire. just make sure you have the correct gauge of wire for the application, and you'll be ok.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Teching In

monster cable> scosche

Quick Reply: Monstercable VS Scosche