Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Opinions/Help with my new setup (non f-body)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions/Help with my new setup (non f-body)

Didn't know whether to post this here or in racer's lounge, but it has to do with audio so here it is. I just put a sub/amp combo in my '03 QuadCab Ram, I went with a 10" infinity reference, and a MTX 801d amp. I've always been happy with MTX and infinity products, but this just isn't living up to my expectations. I'm wondering if maybe the 801d is underpowering the sub, doesn't seem like it should be since it's only a single 10". Or maybe I'm thinking I need to get a better sub, like a Kappa Perfect, or something (opinions/suggestions welcome). Any info, help, or suggestions are very welcome, as I don't want to go just randomly buying things.

Here's a pic (pre wire tidying):

-Andy
Old 08-07-2003, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Opinions/Help with my new setup (non f-body)

What is the volume of the box? If it's below recommended for the sub you'll have a huge decrease in performance.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Yah, I thought about that... the Volume recommended for the sub is... .75 cu. ft. on a sealed enclosure, and by filling the fiberglass with water, I came up just a shade over .80 cu. ft. I thought it was very close to perfect seeing as all I did was glass in that storage well. I'm confused, it may still be in the settings, got a DEH p6500 headunit, and I've played with all the settings, trying to tune it, don't get me wrong, it sounds good, just not as I expected. What do you guys think about the Kappa Perfect series subs from infinity? Also, I need a good 6 1/2 component system for my front doors and tweeter locations if you wanna throw some opinions my way. Thanks a million!

-Andy
Old 08-07-2003, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Did you take into account the displacement of the sub? also, have you tried moving the box around? Maybe a diffrent location will work better for you. These are the only recommendations I can give to you if performance is the issue, not just lack of output.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:47 AM
Back in the staging lane

what are the specs on that sub and amp?
Old 08-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Have you done an install on a truck before? I am suprised at how much better the transfer function of an f-body is than a truck. Also, in my experience, Perfects are very accurate, but seem very quiet. It may be due to lack of distortion or low efficiency.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Personally, I've always loved the sound of infinity subs, I had one in my tahoe, loved it. The specs on the sub are 10" 4ohm 250w rms 1000w max, the amp is 250w rms @4ohms and 400dynamic, the birth sheet said 579rms though, so I'm kinda confused, I'm seriously thinkin about swappin to a kappa perfect 10"... Unless you guys have any other opinions on which sub/ and or amp I should switch to. THANKS again!

-Andy