Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Bazooka 6 1/4" 4 Ohm DVC Sail Panel Install w/ pics

Old 04-22-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kee Audio ..did mention using some of this stuff on another thread I saw....but i dont think to the extreme that i went....lol.

I'll take most of it off. ..the tar wont run....if youve ever done that kind of work...its not like it turns into syrup when exposed to the high heat.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

the black/red wire coming off the stock connector is the - (negative) on the Bazooka's...right? the small connection

just want to make sure..
Old 04-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
the black/red wire coming off the stock connector is the - (negative) on the Bazooka's...right? the small connection

just want to make sure..
Sorry Dude. Been too long since I did mine. Can't remember now.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah the black/red is negative.....i removed the the top/bottom pieces and left the walls covered with the wrap.

Everything sounds great!...way better than stock and my blown passenger sail speaker.

so im happy.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Good for you!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I said I would report back. Ordered the CVT DVC 6 inchers from Kee last Wednesday, got them today. They sound phenomenal compared to the stockers. If the bazookas are half as good as the CVTs they wont dissapoint!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

this really makes me want to get some CVT DVC subs. but i am trying to get 500 whp and still need more go fast parts. soooo maybe ill do the subs this winter
Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 PM

Talking Just replaced the blown OE sails with Bazooks

This thread really helped me out as I just bought my 02 Black WS6 and the speakers were blown. Thanks for putting the pics up and thanks for all the other relevant comments..
Old 06-07-2014, 09:21 PM

One of my sail panel speakers went out, I am very glad I found your guide or I would not have gotten them replaced. I went with the Bazooka's and so far I wish I would of made the change a long time ago, I can finally turn the volume up with bass and not get distortion! I also changed out my head unit a while ago because my cd unit started skipping heavy.

P.S. He is not kidding when he says you need a nibbler and new u-nuts
Old 06-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ws6torsen
P.S. He is not kidding when he says you need a nibbler and new u-nuts
Some folks have an easier time, just rotating the speaker off of the original holes and then using self tapping screws to secure the speaker. That method should be a lot simpler and will do just as well.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wssix99
Some folks have an easier time, just rotating the speaker off of the original holes and then using self tapping screws to secure the speaker. That method should be a lot simpler and will do just as well.
That's exactly what I did with mine. Worked perfectly
Old 06-22-2014, 01:47 AM
Teching In

^ +1 Working good for me also!
Old 09-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Question - I see you used Dorman Body-Tite! #6 Speed Nuts #45401. Did the factory speaker screws work with these?? One of your photos looks like you used two different screws - one gold with a washer (that you said you removed) - and another black screw.
Two different screws?

I just bought the Bazooka's from Kee. How do you like them over the factory subs?
Old 09-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Quick wiring question on these – there are two sets of wires and two sets of connectors on the speakers.

Does it matter which set of wires goes to which set of speaker connectors?

I’m assuming the positive wires go to the positive terminals on the speakers just like any other speaker hook-up correct? Dumb question I know but I’m just double checking. Someone ask that question in the thread here and the answer was sort of confusing.
I have a WS-6 with the factory Monsoon system.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by ds2011
Quick wiring question on these – there are two sets of wires and two sets of connectors on the speakers.
There are two sets of wires (4 total wires) to each speaker because they are Dual Voice Coil. There is lots of good information in the Monsoon sticky about this arrangement. I understand this arrangement is specific to the Monsoon system.

Does it matter which set of wires goes to which set of speaker connectors?

I’m assuming the positive wires go to the positive terminals on the speakers just like any other speaker hook-up correct? Dumb question I know but I’m just double checking. Someone ask that question in the thread here and the answer was sort of confusing.
I have a WS-6 with the factory Monsoon system.
My understanding is that it doesn't mater which set of wires goes to each coil, as long as you keep the pairs (red & black) together.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:59 AM
Staging Lane

Question - I see you used Dorman Body-Tite! #6 Speed Nuts #45401. Did the factory speaker screws work with these?? One of your photos looks like you used two different screws - one gold with a washer (that you said you removed) - and another black screw.
Two different screws?
wssix99

Can you help me on this?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2014, 01:37 PM
Save the manuals!

Sorry. I only saw your second post.

Two different screws?
All the screws were the same and the original screws. The gold color was from a bad camera. Taking off the washers from the original washer head screws was a PITA. In hindsight, I wish that I had either:
- Purchased new screws.
- Skipped using the original holes entirely, rotated the speaker a bit, and used fresh self-tapping screws to secure the speakers.

I just bought the Bazooka's from Kee. How do you like them over the factory subs?
The factory subs were crap from the factory, so a pile of wet socks would probably sound better. The Bazookas are substantially better than that and I've never been left wanting for more. Kee has done some side-by-side tests with the speakers, so I'd put much more weight to his positive opinion of them. (He only sells what he likes, sounds good, and has earned his seal of approval.)
Old 09-15-2014, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is Kee Audio no longer a sponsor? I noticed it says "banned" by his username now.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:56 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by dabest09
Is Kee Audio no longer a sponsor? I noticed it says "banned" by his username now.
That's not correct. We're working on it - there definitely seems to be a glitch in the Matrix causing it.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Wait a minute. If those bazooka's with huge magnets will fit, I wonder why my old CDT mids wouldn't fit. I have a pair of 6.5 CDT mids, from a rebranded Elemental Designs component set. When I noticed one of my stockers was scratchy, I attempted to fit these, but they didn't seem to want to center properly. Maybe the magnet was sticking to the metal?? Or maybe I had a fitment issue with the clips, similar to OP. I currently have some RF 6 3/4" coaxials in there, but they might even sound worse than the worn out stock speakers.

Also, what can be used to properly seal that rectangle shaped hole under the speakers, which used to be covered by the cardboard piece attached to the stock woofers? Both of mine broke in 2 places when removing them.

Also, I would assume those Bazooka's would also work on a Camaro, if wired properly for 2 ohms?

Also, wondering if these would be worth a try, while they're on closeout for 5 bucks. The 2.875" mounting depth might be too much, though
I guess we're not allowed to post non-sponsor links, so they are the Parts Express 299-609

Last edited by cam94z28; 09-25-2014 at 11:17 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bazooka 6 1/4" 4 Ohm DVC Sail Panel Install w/ pics