Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Ditch Monsoon Amp? Install all new speakers/head unit

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ditch Monsoon Amp? Install all new speakers/head unit

In the process of replacing all my speakers/head unit. i have already installed alpine type x's in the sails. now im going to replace the front and rears with alpines and i am wondering if i shouldn't just splice the wires before the monsoon amp and put a small kicker amp in place of that? also do i have to do anything special with wiring up the crossovers from my type x's to the amp? also i will be getting an alpine head unit prolly the 9886.

thanks
Old 08-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your going to add an amp to the mix I'd go ahead and run new wire. It's not that much more work in the end and some good 12 or 16awg wire will do better then the stock stuff. Use the crossovers with the amp just like you would normally. Input and then split to the midbass and tweeter.
As for your door speakers, if you already have Type-X's in the sails then another pair of Type-X's in the doors would be good. Or you can use a pair of Type-R's just as well. Since your talking amps though, I'd at least run a 4-channel to them or consider a 5-channel so you can add a subwoofer later without having to run new wiring again. Alpines PDX-5 is extremely nice and does what 2 amps would normally do from an amp that is tiny in comparison to most amps.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

You could put your type X components in the doors, get some eD (or Bazooka) 6.5" subs for the sail panels, and hook them up to the factory wiring. That way you wouldn't have to buy an amp (at least not immediately) or butcher the factory wiring. The factory amp is pretty good for what it does so it's not a bad option for a starter system. When you want to upgrade amplification, you'll want to add a good amp and run your own RCA cables and speaker wires rather than splicing into the speaker-level wires at the Monsoon amp. You can always add a sub and amp if you want more bass.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Launching!

alright. well what if i decide to get a head unit and just rewire the system straight from my head unit? not using the factory amp or a aftermarket amp. would that sound better or should i atleast have one of the amps in the mix?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Why give up amplification that you already have and is costing you nothing? Wiring directly to the head unit won't gain any sound quality but will lose power (and be more work).

Upgrading the head unit is an important step towards better sound and you will notice an immediate improvement with the factory amp. Upgrading the HU and the speakers will really make a difference (still using the factory amp). Then you can decide later if you want to do a complete system upgrade with amp(s), sub(s), etc.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
If your going to add an amp to the mix I'd go ahead and run new wire. It's not that much more work in the end and some good 12 or 16awg wire will do better then the stock stuff. Use the crossovers with the amp just like you would normally. Input and then split to the midbass and tweeter.
As for your door speakers, if you already have Type-X's in the sails then another pair of Type-X's in the doors would be good. Or you can use a pair of Type-R's just as well. Since your talking amps though, I'd at least run a 4-channel to them or consider a 5-channel so you can add a subwoofer later without having to run new wiring again. Alpines PDX-5 is extremely nice and does what 2 amps would normally do from an amp that is tiny in comparison to most amps.
hey kee, i just added a 5ch amp to my car to run the cdt's that I got from you.
the amp is a a/d/s p640 (old school) amp.

im currently using all 6 channels to run just the cdt's

ch 1 -drivers tweeter
ch2passengers tweeter
ch3-4 drivers speaker
ch5-6 passenger speaker

is that the best to have them hooked up?

Quick Reply: Ditch Monsoon Amp? Install all new speakers/head unit