Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

car sub/amp combo for home theater?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car sub/amp combo for home theater?

I know it can be done, just not sure if it is as simple as I think. I currently have a Kicker L7 and an MTX 6500d just lying around and was thinking I would put them to good use. I took them out of my car with the intention of selling them (which may or may not happen), but anyway - how hard would it be to make it work with a home theater setup? Main issue is power supply - do you just need an inverter? I know best buy/circuit city/etc don't carry them, but I'm guessing they can be had - but for what price and where? And you could just run RCAs for signal just like car stereo correct? Build a box etc. But what do you guys think?
Old 09-04-2003, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re: car sub/amp combo for home theater?

I'm using a 200W car amp to power my sub for my home theater. I'm using a 10A 12VDC power supply from an old cash register.

Check around and see if you can find a used 12VDC power supply that can carry the load of the amp.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know best buy/circuit city/etc don't carry them, but I'm guessing they can be had - but for what price and where?
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=427

it's a cool idea, I'm planning on doing it myself when I get around to it
Old 09-06-2003, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Power supply is what you need not an inverter.

Here is what you need to do:
1.) find out how much current that amp will pull.. if you don't ahve the documentation.. pull out the fuse and use its ratings..
2.) Find a power supply that is just over the rating. You can Try Radio Shack; but I think their beast PS is 1amp