Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

04 gt vs. lt1 and gt vs cobra

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 04 gt vs. lt1 and gt vs cobra

no muffler 5speed gt vs. 6speed flowmaster lt1 trans am

races were really close. pretty much dead even. the win went to whoever jumped first. i did get him off the line because he spun. i stayed ahead with neither of us pulling once he got traction. so its pretty even from a dig as well. too bad i freakin missed third lol...so he went right by. he did get me by a couple cars one of the races because he was able to get the jump (from a roll).

besides the one dig race, all the races were 45 rolls.

1st one i jump out about half a car, slam 3rd and he's made up a little bit with me ahead by a tad, then slam 4th and then he pulls up to where my front bumper is at his door or fender...stays even and we shut down. 2nd race i jump out by half a car once again and we stay locked up until i flub 3rd and he goes by and i'm at his rear bumper. 3rd race i jump out again and nail 3rd and stay ahead until he misses 3rd and i have to shut down. i had videos of all these races but the links don't work when i post them. btw, races went up to about 100 or 110

i also raced a 99 or 01 cobra a while back. had exhaust/intake/plenum/3.55's/underdrive pullies. we go from a 1st gear roll and i get the jump and get out half a car (i'm told by a spectator that his back end got squirelly but i couldn't tell). i slam 2nd and stay half a car ahead until i do another terrible shift to 3rd and he goes right by and stays ahead by a car or two and shuts down...race went to about 80 or 90

Last edited by mrbigjeep; 12-13-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good kills/deaths. Since there is a video you better be posting it up soon or they didn't happen! Why in the world would someone want to run a mustang around with mufflers. I raced a guy once who took the air filter off his cobra and air was coming in straight from the mass air flow sensor. I told him he should sell his car because something is wrong with it.. but really it was him.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

get a pro 5.0 shifter and work on that 3rd shift before you race again..otherwise way to hang close
Old 12-13-2008, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

i have a short throw. its just crappy. well actually, its ok...it just doesn't ease in. you have to slam it which i'm not quite use to. but i'm workin on it. i was able to chirp third a couple times last night. and i did several more pulls today and nailed them everytime and chirped third several times again.

as for the videos, i cannot save it to my computer because they are in quicktime and it says i have to buy it to be able to save it...and i cannot post the link because after about five minutes it just says "hpt404 not found" or some crap like that.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

eww no mufflers at all? im sorry but no mufflers just sounds crappy.

open headers sound crappy...

i think that guy is like a lot who confuse sounding Loud with sounding good.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

yep...i'm gonna go to mac mufflers with an offroad mid pipe soon. i'm tired of it...but for now it works and its not too bad. i had a reason for doing it though.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Banned

You shouldnt be gettin beat by stock 2vs in your stock 6-speed lt1 car, you sure your car is runnin alright?
Old 12-13-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

No he is in the GT. He wouldn't know how to drive that LT1
Old 12-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

^Gotcha, I just assumed he was in the f-bod for some reason. I guess good runs then, you found a real shitty running lt1 car and own a real good running 2v.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

yeah my car does run really well...but so does his. he had just changed the plugs and wires. his car hasn't been beat on. My buddy has a lot of experience with lt1's and knows his car runs well.

as for not knowing how to drive the lt1...thats cool with me...i don't wanna drive one.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:29 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by capn smokey
You shouldnt be gettin beat by stock 2vs in your stock 6-speed lt1 car, you sure your car is runnin alright?
5spd PI GTs and LT1 F-bodies are VERY close in performance. Good run OP.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

thanks and yeah it was VERY close. pretty much even from 40-100+ when we shut down. within half a car for both of us each time (when we both nailed the shifts)

if i got the jump and nailed the shifts i'd be out by half a car at the end or it would be dead even. same goes for him. he could hold me off if he got the jump...nice running car.

i thought a dig was the lt1's strong suit though. he did spin a bit more than me but even when he caught traction (which didn't take too long) he wasn't pulling back. if anything i was pullin him slightly.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
+1

I think some people are so used to GTs being 'slow' that they forget that. The 'ratings' (losely used) are very similar and close. The ET's that I've seen are within a couple of tenths. Very good race.....much like an LS and Mach (oh wait, shoudl I have said that?? LOL)
Old 12-14-2008, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

i will say my car runs good...i mean i don't think its been beat. but i don' think its a freak or anything. i was running 9.0's in the heat...and pulled an 8.8 in good weather. but i think most are capable of that (as long as they weren't trashed) with the driver mod. as said though, his car hasn't been beat either. probably not a freak but def. runs good.

it may not seem like it because of how many shifts i flubbed when i raced the lt1 but i was able to cut a 1.9 60ft on street tires

with gears and drag radials i don't see why i wouldn't be running 8.5's in good weather.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Oh no here we go again. They are similar if your talking about a worn out 93 lt1 vs a fresh 04gt, but I have never seen a 2v beat a lt1 stock for stock in ideal conditions. Maybe from a dig because of the 2vs lack of power but just maybe....
Old 12-14-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, lets let them have this thread. They've all congregated here anyway...
Old 12-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Oh no here we go again. They are similar if your talking about a worn out 93 lt1 vs a fresh 04gt, but I have never seen a 2v beat a lt1 stock for stock in ideal conditions. Maybe from a dig because of the 2vs lack of power but just maybe....
The lack of power in a 2v GT helps it beat LT1's stock for stock. That's why I keep losing. I've got to turn down my flux capacitor to 400 Kilowatts!
Old 12-15-2008, 02:05 AM
***Repost Police***

"I've never seen" doesn't mean ****. I've never seen a stock '03 Cobra run 12s either, but they do. And my bone stock 150k+ mile Integra beat a bolt-on '97 Cobra in the 1/8 mile too, so I guess Integras are faster than bolt-on Cobras right?
Old 12-15-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

i will say my car runs good...i mean i don't think its been beat. but i don' think its a freak or anything. i was running 9.0's in the heat...and pulled an 8.8 in good weather. but i think most are capable of that (as long as they weren't trashed) with the driver mod. as said though, his car hasn't been beat either. probably not a freak but def. runs good.

it may not seem like it because of how many shifts i flubbed when i raced the lt1 but i was able to cut a 1.9 60ft on street tires

with gears and drag radials i don't see why i wouldn't be running 8.5's in good weath

thats actually some pretty decent times for a slow GT...lol
Old 12-15-2008, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

yup...i don't see many stock lt1's running better than that...not sure how much of a difference it makes but now i'm chirpin third. slammin it in...i know i wasn't doin that at the track.

and "lack of power" is probably one of the dumbest things i've ever heard...considering the older lt1's have a WHOPPING 10HP more!!! oh my goodness i bet with that extra 10 hp that it will spin the tires in freakin sixth gear!!

i have 4.10's waiting to go in...like i said, with tires, i don't i see why is shouldn't cut mid eights...even in the heat it should be 8.7's. not bad for gears/tires. and a $40 muffler delete if you wanna count that.