Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

mustang gt's

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mustang gt's

hey ls1 owners, this is camaross's bro with the 03 mustang gt. just wondering what makes some of you all hate mustangs so much...if i personally wasnt 6'3 and didnt have the steering wheel of my bro's ss at my chest...and if i liked the looks ofthe ss and ta over gt's id own an ls1. dont get me wrong..the ss/z28/ta look great but i just love the current gt's...and that is why i got one. now i know most of you all are drag racers and im guessing the 5.7 is really what does it for you, but the mustang gt isnt a piece of **** like some say and can compete rather well once modded some. with the downfall of american rwd v8 powered cars to all these shitty import cars i think that we should all look towards embarassig ricers than trashing our own cars. to all of you ls1 owners, you havea hell of a car, but im just wanting to know what the usual reason is for hating mustangs...i know that you can come across some ignorant stangers but i assure you im not one of them...thanks all
Old 09-28-2003, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: mustang gt's

THIS DOES NOT GO FOR ALL GT DRIVERS!!!!!
The reason i dont show many mustang GT drivers love, is because they have an attitude like their car is the fastest thing on the road just because they have exhaust, and they'll just give you that "your kidding right?" little smirk when u pull up next to one at a light. that doesnt go for all of them, but most of them around here sure do have that attitude.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:58 PM
STF Veteran

I personally don't like the look's of the newer 99+ mustangs, but i have no hate for them, just the ignorant people who drive them....that's why most direct there hatred toward mustangs, because of there owners!..hope that answers some of your question

justin
Old 09-28-2003, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea its the attitude for me. Ever since I ran around with my brother in the 80's with his tweeked 72 El camino, every mustang we rolled upto to race had this cocky attitude, even the guys with the classic stangs coped an attitude. Most around here are like ricers anyways, with their clear tail lights and fixed up 6 bangers.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

yeah i see what you all mean. there are lots of ignorant stang owners around in tampa...tons of ricers as well, and v6 stangs are allll over. i think the ignorance thing can go with lots of cars but ya i see it in lots of mustangs owners around here.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:32 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the "I am better then your POS" attitude that 90% of the ******* stang drivers (perfect example is bullitt) have.
Bullitts car runs an earth shattering 13 second flat quarter mile, ON JUICE, and he runs his mouth like he has a 6 second beast.
Another great example are Ricers. I have alot of respect for the ones that are actually attempting to make a 90hp car, into a 10 second car ... but the guy who still has the 90hp car, and THINKS he has a 10 second car, is the ricer.

Well, there you have it. THAT is the reason that everyone hates stang drivers. And considering such a large percentage of the stang drivers have that attitude, it becomes sort of a stereotype ... same way we all think of vette drivers as being old men that won't race and can't drive. However, there are plenty of vette drivers out there that drive the ***** off their cars, and are very willing to race, but they are so few and far between.

Old 09-28-2003, 08:37 PM
STF Veteran

I have long wished for the solidarity of american V8 owners in the sad times in which we now find ourselves. As a mustang owner at the time, i was saddened by the news of the passing of the F-twins... and although the camaro will be back, who knows if it will be the same... and the Firebird may never be back (I am very glad i found a fairly low mileage ls1 T/A while i still could.)... yet we see the rice multiplying everywhere. sad to say, yes i even see mustang rice fairly often now.

I even wouldn't have such a problem with ricers if their cars weren't so ******* ugly and they weren't so incredibly ignorant for the most part. i've always thought that car guys should stick together. whether you're fighting for the blue oval, the general's army, mopar, or even toyota or mitsubish... we're all brothers in arms. remember we've got the onslaught of governmental regulations and the average american obsession with the suv both trying to kill our options. real car guys were sad to see the disapearance of the rx-7, 3000gt, and the supra... to make room for a dozen more escalades, pt cruisers, foci, and so on.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:38 PM

yeah i see what you all mean. there are lots of ignorant stang owners around in tampa...tons of ricers as well, and v6 stangs are allll over. i think the ignorance thing can go with lots of cars but ya i see it in lots of mustangs owners around here.
Wow ... I had a V6 stang with apparently NO work whatsoever, pull up next to me about a week ago. Sat there and rev'd his engine at me, which I had to turn my radio down to hear (I thought I had something wrong with my car, hearing some odd noise). I look over and he's sitting there with a stupid grin on his face, bucking the car every few seconds. The light turned green and he screeched and took off ... clear tail lights and a mustang pissing on a GM sticker.
I was going to let him go, and after about 2-3 seconds of debating I gave it 3/4 throttle and went after him. Priceless look on his face when he saw me waving as I blew his doors off.

Honestly, some people really don't seem to know ANYTHING about cars ... it's baffling.

Old 09-28-2003, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

i used to have an 02 v6 mustang...nice like daily driving, slow car,really glad to have what i really wanted in the 03 gt...for some kid in that 6er to pull up to a trans-am ws6 is just embarassing to respectable mustang owners..yes, the few and far between.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

thats what i dont understand... if i was in a GT i would not be ****** around w/ an LS1 F-body. I mean i know our cars arent like ungodly fast, but honestly i knwo everyone here w/ an LS1 has eatin atleast 10 GT's for lunch w/ out kickin up n e fuss. But the people that do drive GT's that i see on the road make it a POINT to race me, like ride my *** and pace me n' ****, i just dont even give a look i just drive in my own little world, until they hit it, and then its say hello to my tail lights cuz thats all ur ever gonna see of me again.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:15 PM
Teching In

I can agree with borlaSS on most things just because where we live. But what gets me is the "Stanger Stance." All of you know what I'm talkin about. Where the driver is so close to the wheel and window he could fall out. Where the rest their left arm on the door and steer with just the wrist. I think that is sooo funny. And the "Stanger shifts." That is all to familiar, where they over match the revs to change gears. Even though I like alot of the mustangs around here, most of them should go buy a "Honda 2000"lol Just my.02 Oh yea and vet drivers...oohhhh dont get me started and I drive one. I know 2 other people that I get along with and they are both pretty young. For the most part they think they are in a freakin lambo or something. I used to park cars downtown and all these guys with vets would come and not want us to touch them. Im thinking the whole time "Hey I can park it RIGHT NEXT TO MINE you punk" SOme of them are ok but I think we (gearheads) should not hate on each other. I have had hondas and I still respect some of them same, with mustangs. I was 2 secs away from buying a 91 notch about a year ago. And while I'm on a role, SUPRAS I love a supra. I wanted a supra so bad I went to arizona just to look at one. After six months of not finding one I wanted I bought the vet. But anyway some of the guys that own them ***** me off. I was talking to one of the local supra owners who had a sp 67 kit or something. And we got on the subject of drag racing. I was talking about how a local vet ran 10.7 on the new bfgs and all that would come out of his mouth was trap speed, trap speed. bla bla who give a f#%k. I dont care if a trap speed is 85 mph if your running a 9. After a while I told him a joke that shut him up. Whats the difference between a 500, 600, and 700 hp supra (except S.W. & Titan WS)? They all run 12's. Anyway I cant type anymore.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:19 PM
Teching In

I think most people that buy GTs dont really know that there car is not gonna beat everything. they beat a few ricers, and get there hopes up. Actually when i first got my stang i was like that. I was smoking imports then got my *** handed to me by a SS. That woke me up, but for some it doesnt. they can block stuff out I guess lol. and they will just loose over and over.

Oh i can walk all over that SS now
Old 09-28-2003, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

On the other hand there are those few stang drivers that are cool as ****. the ones that will say things like "my gt is no match for the LS-1 u got in there" then again i've only had anything remotely said to me like that once...
Old 09-28-2003, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

This thread bleeds ignorant statements. I have never had nor will I ever have a GM f-body. To say that you hate Mustang owners simply because some people have a different attitude or different approaches to racing than you is as simple minded as a person can get. I have been street racing since I was 18 and am 31 now. I have always had Mustangs except for a 1993 RX-7, God rest her soul, and have always loved racing Camaros, T/A's, SS's, GNX's, vettes, and even my own kind, but I never decided not to like someone or generalize about people who buy different cars than myself. I can't count how many morons in LS-1's, especially vettes/ZO-6's, I have run into on the street, thrown them a rev or a look, and received the cocky look you guys are referring to. I personally love it when I get that look. Those guys are the best ones to race, just to see the disbelief on their face when a stock appearing Mustang whips their ***, especially in front of their girlfriend, but I never assume they are jerks.

If any of you ever see me on the street, please give me that look you are referring to because I will take it the right way and give it right back with a crisp downshift and a smile...
Old 09-28-2003, 10:07 PM

Look man some stang drivers are pretty stupid. Mainly the ones that drive GT's. I once had this guy in a stock GT say that he smokes cars like mine and LS1's left and right. I felt like kicking this guy's *** for comparing his POS to mine. I ran him and i smoked his ***. Never said another word again. But i did congratulate him on the LS1 kills and i told him to take it easy on you guys. Later.
Bullitt ... serious question.

What is your definition of POS? Do you just throw the term around at any car that you feel isn't as fast, or as good looking, etc ... as your car. Or do you really feel that the cars you call POS's, are actually POS's?

The only reason I say that, is because you basically have an overpriced, overrated GT ... which would make the guy that bought the "POS GT", and spent the remaining difference in price between the 2 on mods, and can now outrun that same bullitt .... the smarter one.

BTW, about the "Stang stance" ... I figured out why they all drive like that the other day. The shifter is 10000 feet away from the seat, so you HAVE to lean over otherwise you can't reach it. I'm still loving the placement of that. Not to mention the radio .. 2 inches behind the shifter...

Old 09-28-2003, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

What Bullitt really meant....

Look man some stang drivers are pretty stupid.
*Like me*

Mainly the ones that drive GT's. I once had this guy in a stock GT say that he smokes cars like mine and LS1's left and right. I felt like kicking this guy's *** for comparing his POS to my POS.
*But I remembered that I was a ***** and wet myself instead*

I ran him and i smoked his ***. Never said another word again.
*In my mind*

But i did congratulate him on the LS1 kills and i told him to take it easy on you guys. Later.
*He and I had passionate sex and have been in a loving relationship ever since*

Old 09-28-2003, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

well it happens on both sides of the ball. just like tit bar said, there is just as many ls1 owners that do the same. but for the little of time i had my stang on the street, i had a little bit of knowledge of what i could and could not beat. but hey why not have fun and give props to whoever wins, instead of being a *** when you lose. people who take the losing too hard or think that since they dumped who nows how much money into their car, that they will win! just take the loss in stride exchange props and move on.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:42 PM
STF Veteran

bullitt, you're talking completely out of your ***, but i figured everybody knows that by now.

what you have in your posession, is a GT with rolled pipes, torque thrust wheels, a slightly redesigned FRPP intake, and a different badge. you are putting out a whopping FIVE more horsepower than a GT of the same year. there are more differences between a WS6 and a Trans Am than there are between you and a GT. 5 horsepower man. five. yank the air intake silencer and put in a K&N filter and any random GT may put down the same RWHP as your car. that's what, $50 worth of mods? maybe? how much more expensive was the bullit than a GT? a bit more than $50?

assuming you actually own the car, which i tend to doubt, unless you bought a bullitt for
A. it's colectability/uniqueness
-or-
B. planned on supercharging it from the start (as the bullit intake is better suited to forced induction than the stock GT intake)

...then you made a poor poor decision moneywise.

it's little wonder that ls1 owners have a poor impression of mustang drivers if you are what passes for representation.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my honest opinion regarding GT's, particularly new ones:

They are nice looking cars and they produce a nice exhaust note with an aftermarket catback. They are an inexpensive car so you can't expect a tremendous amount of power. There is a huge market out there for sports cars in the 225-260rwhp range. Not all people are interested in 500hp monsters that tear up the 1/4 mile in 10 or 11 seconds. Ford built the GT for that market. I would buy a convertible GT. I think it would be a fun Sunday car...top down, sun shining, cruising, listening to the radio. That's about as far as it goes though. I wouldn't classify a GT as a performance car. Sure, it's a sports car...but it's not a performance car. They have limited potential unless you dump a ton of money into them. Anything can be fast with the right amount of money. We all know that.

The bottom line is that people who believe GT's are fast are kidding themselves or they have never experienced a truly fast car. My car is good for high 10's and mid 120's and I still don't consider that fast.

I picture GT's as a 16-18 year old kids car or a mid 20's chick car. Of course there are always individual cases where none of this applies. That goes back to the amount of money dumped into the car.

Old 09-28-2003, 11:31 PM

well it happens on both sides of the ball. just like tit bar said, there is just as many ls1 owners that do the same....
I agree, like I was saying before, everyone has somewhat of a predisposition towards their car. I think that is perfectly fine. I have met a bunch of LS1 owners who think their car is the ****, a few LT1 owners, some older car owners, etc etc etc. That's perfectly understandable though, a good ego is healthy. Ego, and ignorance, are 2 different things, however.