Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Me vs cobalt ss

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Me vs cobalt ss

Well, I live in this little town and there aren't really alot of "fast" cars here. There is a guy here who has a tc/ss cobalt that he seems to think is the fastest **** around. Anyway, for as long as I have had my car, he has been mean mugging and revving up at me every time he sees me. I think fate had had enough, just as I had because the other night I am driving home from work and guess who happened to stop at the light next to me. It was late at night and there was no one to be seen in either direction. I casually looked over and this dude was looking at me and then back at the light and back at me and the light. I just smiled and nodded. The light turned green and we both slowly rolled out. At about 20 he honked the 3 and we both went for it. My tires spun, shitty kumhos, and I was at his door. As soon as I caught traction, it was like I instantly caught and passed this kid. I looked in my rearview when I shut it down at about 85 or so, and I'm not sure how far back he was but it was a good ways. I slowed it down and the dude and his buddy in the car with him rolled by and gave me a wave and went on.

The dude has left me alone since then, but I thought his car would be quicker than that, but I do feel like I have a strong running f-body. All I have is a lid, maf, p&p tb and a chokemaster.

All in all, I was happy with the outcome. Maybe now he will leave me alone.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

nice kill, theres a guy in town with a tc/ss co co suppose to be running around 20psi, hope to get a run in with him soon
Old 03-22-2009, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Swift_01_z-28
Well, I live in this little town and there aren't really alot of "fast" cars here. There is a guy here who has a tc/ss cobalt that he seems to think is the fastest **** around. Anyway, for as long as I have had my car, he has been mean mugging and revving up at me every time he sees me. I think fate had had enough, just as I had because the other night I am driving home from work and guess who happened to stop at the light next to me. It was late at night and there was no one to be seen in either direction. I casually looked over and this dude was looking at me and then back at the light and back at me and the light. I just smiled and nodded. The light turned green and we both slowly rolled out. At about 20 he honked the 3 and we both went for it. My tires spun, shitty kumhos, and I was at his door. As soon as I caught traction, it was like I instantly caught and passed this kid. I looked in my rearview when I shut it down at about 85 or so, and I'm not sure how far back he was but it was a good ways. I slowed it down and the dude and his buddy in the car with him rolled by and gave me a wave and went on.

The dude has left me alone since then, but I thought his car would be quicker than that, but I do feel like I have a strong running f-body. All I have is a lid, maf, p&p tb and a chokemaster.

they are, he just sucks!!

good kill.
I look forward to surprising a few people this summer
Old 03-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hugger1975

good kill.
I look forward to surprising a few people this summer
As do I. Dynoing next sunday, should be around 400whp.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the new ss's, but I wasn't super impressed. He's a decent driver, he outran a stock gp gxp by 2 cars and his car is bone *** stock with some halo headlights. I know they are underrated just like the fbodies. I would love to get my wife a 4-door ss.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I dont think theres any 4 doors SS my friend..good kill by the way
Old 03-22-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want a SS cobalt for a daily
Old 03-22-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
hugger1975 has one....and his post was 3 above yours....

I'm really impressed by those Cobalt SS/TC's. If only they weren't FWD
Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sarge_13

^^^^Agreed on both parts. I had a g5, now it's the womans. But it was a fun car and awful roomy for being small.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:22 AM
On The Tree

yeah i have to agree that switching from rwd to fwd sucks, but my car has virtually no torque steer so it isnt too bad. GM did a good job on this car
Old 03-23-2009, 03:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So how do you guys like the no lift shift and isn't there something they did to the cobalts to keep them from torque steering badly? Had a buddy with an 08 eclipse gt v6, had a few bolt-ons and m6. I bring it up cuz the cobalt ss and the gt v6 seem very close in power. But, that eclipse being fwd would torque steer hardcore.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:08 AM
On The Tree

So how do you guys like the no lift shift and isn't there something they did to the cobalts to keep them from torque steering badly? Had a buddy with an 08 eclipse gt v6, had a few bolt-ons and m6. I bring it up cuz the cobalt ss and the gt v6 seem very close in power. But, that eclipse being fwd would torque steer hardcore.
havent tried no lift shift yet due to still beaking it in, but they beefed up the front suspension in the car and tuned it well so no tq steer and no wheel hop (when stock at least). the eclipse weighs a lot more than the cobalt, i would think the cobalt should take it no problem.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Teal94Z
havent tried no lift shift yet due to still beaking it in, but they beefed up the front suspension in the car and tuned it well so no tq steer and no wheel hop (when stock at least). the eclipse weighs a lot more than the cobalt, i would think the cobalt should take it no problem.
Cool. I'm really looking into it for my wife. And she likes manuals, so that may be the route we go. Just tryin to get a little info from the guys who have em'.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

it is mostly to keep it in boost. i have lost a race that i shouldnt have because i didnt use it, as i waited for the boost to come back on he pulled a half car. on my last one with a 350z on the highway, we were dead and i mean dead even.......i used it that time=no boost drop

Originally Posted by 06cobaltSS
As do I. Dynoing next sunday, should be around 400whp.
oh snap!

Originally Posted by Johnnystock

what he said!
there are not to many around but they are out
Old 03-26-2009, 08:52 AM

was the ss tc stock? if so it shouldnt have been close at all haha but with a tune and a few bolt ons i got 310hp
Old 03-26-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kill, OP. Who knows, maybe you'll talk to this guy one day and he'll turn out to be a cool guy. Always good to meet other car enthusiasts.

I ran a Cobalt SS once, Stage 1 or 2 or 1.5 (I have no idea, it had a few things done). Obviously it wasn't going to be a race but the guy was pacing me with his girl in the car and trying to get me to run all the way through about three towns on this two lane road that eventually turns to highway. Plus my younger brother (21) was in the car and he was like, "Just race him, it'll be fun", so I told the guy if he went to the highway section where there are no cops I'd race him since I was going that way anyways.

I didn't mention anything that was done to my car (and I don't think he would have known the difference anyways) and when we got there I dropped a couple gears and just told him to punch it. He did and I have to say I was impressed by how quick it took off as I had never seen one in action before. I then proceeded to put about a buslength on him in a gear and a half and let off. He followed me to a gas station and gets out screaming, "WHAT THE ****??!!! ****!!! ****!!!! What the ****?!" Turned out to be a really cool guy who just had no idea what he was getting into and I've run into him a couple times since just cruising around. It was a really nice car and he had just picked it up. I think he's done a few more things to it since then but he knows my car now and usually just pulls in to talk instead of race.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

What are your mods?

Old 03-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

With a tune they are mid 13's or so. Intake exhaust tune tires can get them into the 12's. I like the SS/TC's alot and almost bought a stage 2 SS/SC for a dd not to long ago. I hate launching FWD's tho. I think the Astra HB with a RWD LNF would be a great car. I like the way they look.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by supernova1972
With a tune they are mid 13's or so. Intake exhaust tune tires can get them into the 12's. I like the SS/TC's alot and almost bought a stage 2 SS/SC for a dd not to long ago. I hate launching FWD's tho. I think the Astra HB with a RWD LNF would be a great car. I like the way they look.
astra HB?

ok just looked it up and its opel i see not too bad i guess, but for that why wouldnt you just go HHR SS? those look better than that if you ask me.

and if you want really sporty i'd go Solstice GXP or Sky Redline. . . i love those skys
Old 03-26-2009, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
astra HB?

ok just looked it up and its opel i see not too bad i guess, but for that why wouldnt you just go HHR SS? those look better than that if you ask me.

and if you want really sporty i'd go Solstice GXP or Sky Redline. . . i love those skys
You got that Damn right PNYKLR