Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Killed by a Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Killed by a Z06

Cliff notes at bottom:

Ok so for the long version, I'm cruisin home from school, just got done takin an exam, and just looking to get home and start studying for the next one. I exit and notice a black C5 vette comin up but don't think anything of it because i've honestly never got a vette to race.....EVER. I've picked on vettes that should beat me just to see if I can get them to run and the drivers always look clueless, but not today. He pulls alongside, and gives me the nod, so we move over, get down to around 45-50 (which is good for the top of second for me) and get ready.

Now im already expectin to lose because its the Z06 and I could tell it wasn't stock, but oh well. Anyway we both hit it about the same time, I jump out about a nose, then he stops my pull and procedes to put about 2 cars on me before I have to get out of it due to traffic. He slows down and waits for me, we get to the same speed and go again, same start as last time, this time no traffic, he has about 2.5-3 cars easy on me when I let out at the top of third. Guessing we went to about 100. Met him at the light and talked for a min, nice guy, come to find out hes got a procharged 408 so in the end i'm pretty happy with how well my car "hung" in there, i'm guessing my gears is what made it not quite so bad at those speeds. If we would have kept going to higher speeds it prolly would have got real nasty. Anyway my best death thus far, time to get some GO juice .

Cliff notes: heading home, run into C5 Z06, do two runs, each from about 45-100, he pulls 2.5-3 cars each time. Found out it was a procharged 408, so I feel pretty good about the death.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Launching!

damn not bad at all for bein mostly stock according to ur sig....
Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

Respectable deaths. With your mods you did a good job of just hanging near him.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:37 AM
12 Second Club

he must be running like 2 PSI LoL

I've had my *** handed to me from a roll by a C5z06 with a cam and headers
with your mods to stay only 2-3 cars back from a 408 with a blower is well.. amazing?
sure it wasn't 10-12 cars?
Old 04-24-2009, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Punisher GTO

with your mods to stay only 2-3 cars back from a 408 with a blower is well.. amazing?
It was a 1 gear race...how much do you expect him to pull?

Great race! Always fun to run the unknown cars.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow dude you must be crazy. Procharged 408 vs your bolt on car? Even 1 gear and he would be light years. Someone was messing with you.

When my car had just headers and an intake i was eating cam only fbodies for lunch.

edit:

to prove my point - we can line them up.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah... sounds like vette dude is BSing or his car isn't running right. Even just one gear he should have stomped you into the ground.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
It was a 1 gear race...how much do you expect him to pull?

Great race! Always fun to run the unknown cars.
I've had 2 cars put on me by a cam only c5z06 from around those speeds, I can't imagine what a blown 408 would do, but I do know it would be a butt load more then 2-3 cars
Old 04-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Why would I BS on this? Like stated it was like top of second and all of my third gear. I also aknowledged that had we kept going it would have been very nasy because he was still pulling hard when I let out. The first car he put on me was realtively slow compared to how fast he put the next two on me.

Also as far as it running right, it sounded great but i did notice it blow alot of black smoke out at one point during the second run, I don't know much about FI so i'm not sure what that could mean.

And jon, he may have been BSing but all I have to go on is what he said, I can't exactly get out at the light and ask him to pop his hood, plus he had a LMR sticker on the back, which I know doesn't mean anything, but I doubt they just hand their stickers out to anyone they do work for.

Some of yall need to chill, like the saying goes anything can happen on the street, we're not here debating what should have happened, because I know he had me way outclassed in every aspect and should have put even a bigger beating on me than that, hence why I said I was happy with how bad it wasn't.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

At that take off speed there is no way that vet is going to put his power down.. so ya its possible with a good shift from the op and slow shift from the guy drivin the z it would take him a sec to pull.. then again.. the z might have been just messin around..
Old 04-27-2009, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Punisher GTO

Yea, I have strapped it to a LOT of camaros with your mods and they come away with losing 5-6 cars from a roll.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tex7387
Some of yall need to chill, like the saying goes anything can happen on the street, we're not here debating what should have happened, because I know he had me way outclassed in every aspect and should have put even a bigger beating on me than that, hence why I said I was happy with how bad it wasn't.
Good death OP, better luck next time.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

The vette probably wasn't at a good speed. He was probably in second gear at low rpms. Anyways, good death. I've ran one a c5 vette with a procharger. I had full exhaust and gears. Here's the race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBgm...e=channel_page

I don't doubt your race at all. Those 4:10s help out a ton! That race I was in second gear at 40. He was 3 cars by the end of 3rd.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

nice death and yeah you hung in good against that procharged 408!!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
The vette probably wasn't at a good speed. He was probably in second gear at low rpms. Anyways, good death. I've ran one a c5 vette with a procharger. I had full exhaust and gears. Here's the race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBgm...e=channel_page

I don't doubt your race at all. Those 4:10s help out a ton! That race I was in second gear at 40. He was 3 cars by the end of 3rd.
I figured thats what made it that close at those speeds. The funny thing is he picked the speed, I was prepared to go from about 55 which would have put me just outta prime second gear range but he brought it down to top of second for me and I wasn't complaining.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tex7387
I figured thats what made it that close at those speeds. The funny thing is he picked the speed, I was prepared to go from about 55 which would have put me just outta prime second gear range but he brought it down to top of second for me and I wasn't complaining.
a stock geared Z06 runs 42 in first, 76 in second, 99 third, 137 fourth, 169 fifth. and Sixth is unexplored territory for me past 171 These numbers could be a few mph off. So a 45 roll would not be HORRIBLE for a z06, but if you only raced to 100 then that would explain it.