Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Saw and raced my very first 2010 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saw and raced my very first 2010 Camaro SS

Car I was in at the time was a Mustang GT,I used to have a nitrous system on my car, no longer on it and it's completely stock again other than my axle back magnaflows. It's a 5 speed 2006 model. So better gears stock than regular, and it's slightly lighter than later years.

Just wanted to get that outta the way.

I'm going down south street in North Long Beach. Big road in the city.

As I'm driving this guy comes up besides me speeding to catch up and revs his engine at me with his girlfriend smiling along with him. I'm with my friend and about to head to my sisters house when this happened so I miss my turn and go after him.

He's leaving me behind slowly since he took off first but I want to play with him so I follow him to the light. He takes off one more time and my car's staying with him evenly.

We get to the light, sitting on south street and lakewood blvd. Big 4 way street. I talk to him and tell him he has a nice car. He smiles and asks what's done to my car and I just tell him I used to have nitrous but for now it's all stock other than exhaust.

He mentions the STS TT kit for the cars and I tell him I have a procharged 2007 C6.

So I ask him if he wants to go and he says for sure. I'm expecting to get my *** handed to me badly. Light turns green and we take off.

1st gear were even, 2nd gear I'm spinning all through it, and 3rd I'm leaving him VERY VERY SLOWLY till I get past about 5500 RPM, and he starts creeping back up from my rear fender. I shift to fourth and he begins dropping back again. By then the light's coming up for the speed we were going and we both slow down.

The guy slows down and yells out about how my car can't be stock all the time smiling and turns. I follow him, tell him and his girlfriend thanks for the race and leave.

You could tell he was redlining the **** out of the car through each gear.

And even if he were to be an unbelievably horrible driver, I can't see how he was hanging with me like that with an extra 130hp and the weight increase.

What really breaks my heart though is that my friend was in the car, asked me if he should record it on his camera and I said no because I thought it would just be a video of me getting left in the guys dust. If anyone here lives in or near North Long Beach/Lakewood and happened to see this going down south street around 6 pm today, I will pay 100 dollars if you have video of it.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If this actually happened then that has to be the worst driver ever or it was a six cylinder Camaro. I'd also like to say I doubt that Stang hooked in first and then spun in second.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:57 AM
Teching In

I have no doubt about it being a SS, w/ a v8. I'm not here to just make things up that would be pointless.

I myself just think he had to be the worst driver I've ever met.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:02 AM
Launching!

yeah. id have to see it to believe it. I was leavin stockish 05-06 GT mustangs in my 98 camaro ss w/135k miles with an exhuast and kn. Lets see 305 hp stang vs a 450 hp camaro ss. Yeah somebody else chime in please
Old 06-22-2009, 02:06 AM
Teching In

I just think the guy couldn't drive that well. I 2nd that a 422hp LS3 should not be doing that with a measly 4.6 300hp.

It's way off. In the Mustang I've had a stock 95 Supra TT leave me behind after his turbo spooled. That's just 320 hp. So 422hp should've just left my *** regardless of the weight difference.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sscamaro1384
yeah. id have to see it to believe it. I was leavin stockish 05-06 GT mustangs in my 98 camaro ss w/135k miles with an exhuast and kn. Lets see 305 hp stang vs a 450 hp camaro ss. Yeah somebody else chime in please
Haha, also, you've gotta remember that you've got a great engine in your car. That nice LS1 is gonna beat basically any 4.6 that isn't supercharged/turbocharged/on nitrous or worked up pretty well.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:18 AM
Launching!

hate to say it man but somethings definitely fucked with that camaro.. even an auto should have left you hard, i saw an auto SS beating 05-08 gt's (5 speeds) by half a second at the track..
Old 06-22-2009, 03:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by violent_celerity
hate to say it man but somethings definitely fucked with that camaro.. even an auto should have left you hard, i saw an auto SS beating 05-08 gt's (5 speeds) by half a second at the track..
I completely agree, I think everyone here knows that that's how it should've went down.

I'm just curious as to what it could've possibly been other than a horrible driver. That's all I can think of to make such a huge hp edge mean so little.

And even then that's kind of pushing it if you guys know what I mean.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:39 AM
Launching!

yea.. that guy was a failure at life.. you know theres only like 2 things different from the V6 and the SS? cus a V6 6 speed would probably be about the same race you had.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

those camaros aint ****... seriously, on the street everything happens.
06 gt's arent that slow, realistically, they give a hell of a run to an ls1...
Old 06-22-2009, 03:56 AM
Launching!

i was always under the impression they were at best 13.7 cars in perfect DA, and ls1's have broken into the 12.90s
Old 06-22-2009, 04:13 AM
Teching In

yea.. that guy was a failure at life.. you know theres only like 2 things different from the V6 and the SS? cus a V6 6 speed would probably be about the same race you had.
I've raced a v6 in my corvette, and then after that since it wasn't fair I asked if he wanted to race my GT(owner is a friend of a friend) and it wasn't really a good race between the two cars. The V6 camaro is quick for what it is, but the extra weight and less torque makes it fall behind fairly fast.

I'm positive it was a V8, other than the obvious sound of the engine and recognizable sound of the LS3, the car lifted in a much stronger/harder way than the v6 does when you downshift and give it all the gas, which he did when he started the whole race.

Maybe he just needs to get used to the car still, during the little chat at the light he said that he got the LS3 over the L99 because he wanted a standard.

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
I never usually race any LS1/LS2 powered cars with the way my GT is now because of the obvious reasons. I've raced an LS1 GTO M6 with catback exhaust from a roll and a dig, both times we stayed exactly the same next to eachother throughout the race, but they've got that weight problem that everything else has nowadays over on the GT. That really surprised me because the better topend of the the LS engine I figured would have him begin to leave me.

i was always under the impression they were at best 13.7 cars in perfect DA, and ls1's have broken into the 12.90s
The best I've seen a stock 2005+ GT do with DRs in person is 12.9x(can't remember) It's not that they're slow, it's just that the competition(i.e. everyone since ford is stuck on their small 4.6) has much more potential to work with in comparison. They're nice cars though, it's always fun to beat someone in a t/a or camaro when they obviously expect to leave the mustang behind, because lets face it, the mustang is the 'kid' of the bunch at this point.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:52 AM
Launching!

wow ive NEVER heard of one breaking into the 12's with nothing but drs....
Old 06-22-2009, 05:08 AM
Teching In

wow ive NEVER heard of one breaking into the 12's with nothing but drs....
From real life events, stock I usually see very low 13s to mid 13s, DR stock, I've already said the best I've seen. And there's more than a few that I've seen get consistent high 12s with CAI and tune.

But part for part, mod for mod, whatever is done to the mustang, an lsx engine will benefit far more just because it is simply a much larger displacement engine.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At atco 2005 GT 5Spd ran 13.4-13.7's depending on launch when i was running my 05' GP GXP with the LS4 in it and going 13.6-13.8. Cold Weather, the GT had a programmer, exhaust CAI and was cutting 1.9 60's on stock tires. And remember that's "Atco" the world's fastest track because it's downhill and 100' short lol.

Anything can happen in the street, i hate that statement but you know it's true. man that guy can't F'in drive though jesus?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Teching In

I do believe you were at the track Friday.

Both those Mustangs were stock.......save for a trick.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have raced 4 "new style" GT's 2 were stock and one had full exhaust. My vette is stock except for a cat back and has a crappy 2.73 rear end. I walked all of them BADLY. The modded car ran me up to like 120 and I easily had like 4-5 cars on him. So I dont see GT's giving any LS1 a good run.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

sounds like you perfectly described the race between a 3v and a v6 camaro.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

I haven't found one that could even stay in the same zip code w/ me. Once rolling a new SS is going to walk any Mustang GT without significant power adders.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just joined this month...

Has a list of modded vehicles in his sig...

Claims to beat an SS with his stock GT...

Claims stock 05+ GTs with tires run 12s...