Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

H/C/I 99 WS6 vs. 2000 Lightning again...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H/C/I 99 WS6 vs. 2000 Lightning again...

Ok, here's the deal: before when I raced this guy from a roll I just walked away instantly, from a stop I slaughtered him. This time from a 60-65 roll it took me a second before I started pulling away from him. From a stop I still destroyed him pretty bad tho. So my question is what would cause me to not pull as hard, only changes since last time is my true dual exhaust and I can tell a big diff in power from before, lots more torque and pulls harder. I don't think the exhaust would have slowed me down cause I can tell a SOTP diff. My rear tires are freaking really bald, could I have been spining at 60-65??? It was 33degrees out, could the cold air really have helped him that much? Thanx for the input...

-Sly
Old 12-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Are you sure the Lightning doesnt have any new mods?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes i know the guy personally
Old 12-03-2003, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

A more free flowing exhaust sometimes can cause a loss of low end torque, but it will pull harder in the upper RPM's usually....

air does make a significant difference for a FI engine. Colder air is more oxygen rich so technically in colder air a supercharged/turbo engine may actually produce a couple of lbs. more boost. I know when I had a turbo car the difference between hot and muggy outside and cool and brisk was a pretty big difference.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm, ya I knew that just wasn't sure how much of a diff. How should an A4 LS1 with my mods and no converter yet pull away from a L at a 60-65 roll?? I know these ?'s are up in the air just curious.

-Sly
Old 12-03-2003, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe he just got the jump on you where as last time you got it on him? To bad you could not have dyno'd before and after the duals so you could know.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:07 AM
Stu
TECH Resident

Street tires?

My H/C car roasts the tires on cold days at anything less than a 65 punch. Prolly spinning.

Nice kill.

Stu
Old 12-04-2003, 07:23 AM
STF Veteran

My H/C car roasts the tires on cold days at anything less than a 65 punch. Prolly spinning.
A more free flowing exhaust sometimes can cause a loss of low end torque, but it will pull harder in the upper RPM's usually....

air does make a significant difference for a FI engine. Colder air is more oxygen rich so technically in colder air a supercharged/turbo engine may actually produce a couple of lbs. more boost. I know when I had a turbo car the difference between hot and muggy outside and cool and brisk was a pretty big difference.
I would say it is a combination of these two. My car has stock heads and cam and I can spin the tires going 35-45 with 275 Eagle F1's with good tread.(when it is cold outside)
Old 12-08-2003, 09:30 AM
Teching In

If you went from a roll, then the cold air DID do him good. It would have made his trction even worse from a start, but since it was from a heavy roll, that SC was loving the cold air. If you had gone from anything under 30mph, you would have done even more damage to him.