Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

These darn turbo Cobalt's starting more trouble....Cobalt SS vs 2001'ish Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Default These darn turbo Cobalt's starting more trouble....Cobalt SS vs 2001'ish Mustang GT

Here we go again! Just minding my business, fairly sure of the fact that no one has a clue how quick this lil thing can be. Just got off work, its nice out and I am feeling froggy. I see a red GT, but hell, I see a lot of GT's and they usually never know I am game. Based on my knowledge of cars and my best friend Mr Google, I am pretty sure it is about an 01.

We are on the same long 3 lane strip with no light for miles. So I am egging it on a little bit (lil blow off here and there) he bites after a few:

Short story: after about 3-4 short 30-90 pulls, I pull a few cars each time. After each run he stayed far back so I figured he would go on with life. I was left wondering how he explained to his cute girlfriend why that Cobalt just did that

Well, I catch a light and do not see him anymore. I look over to my right and there he is................ window down and showing me a nitrous bottle

Me: That's not going to help unless its connected
Him: I don't have the gas anyway so where gona have to go heads up
Me: Well thank God....and you should take me out of the whole. This thing is the new (but slower) supra.....its a better roll racer. Street launching is fun but a bitch
Him: Sounds good

Light was forever, so we kept talking......very nice young guy having a good time messing with me and showing off to his girl. Good looking stang too. Big ol tires on the back, clean and sounded good.

Me: So how did you know I was game, most people have no clue I wana play or that I even stand a chance. Most prolly think it just a freakin 4 door Cobalt
Him: I heard your blow off and boost hit even with my windows up, plus I kinda heard the SS turbos has some power
Me: Niceeeeeeeeeeeeee.

So I try out my launch control since its hit/miss trying to modulate it myself on the street so may as well get the best the computer can pull off. I hold the revs at 2k in anticipation and overhear him telling his girl, "yeah baby hes building up boost so he can get a good launch." As the turn light goes yellow I bring the revs up to the controlled RPM.

To my surprise I jump pretty quick, minimal spin and immediately pull a car. As I NLS (come on guys you know what it means by now!) into 2nd the pull continues like any of the roll races. We let up a little after the 1/8 or so with me a few out.

I love this damn lil DD and want to close my eyes till I tune it to really get her going............Spring is going to be interesting

Last edited by hugger1975; 11-23-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice kill! I'm looking right now for a daily driver: what kinda mileage does the Cobalt SS get? How much they actually going for?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Nice kill! I'm looking right now for a daily driver: what kinda mileage does the Cobalt SS get? How much they actually going for?
Even getting on it to hear the blow off a few times a drive I average 28 every tank

They are about 23k for a 2010.
A used 2008 2 door can be a steal, the 4 doors are very hard to find.

Still figure 16-20k depending on year and mileage for used.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Sure as hell beats the GMC Terrain SUV that the wife wants me to get: 21-32mpg with a itty bitty 4 cylinder 2wd. Nice 'looking', but I gotta live in the damned thing for 2+hours a day. A Cobalt SS I could deal with! hah hah I actually bought my GTO to be the DD, but after my mods I'm only averaging 18-19mpg on the commute (75 miles, half city half hwy).
Old 11-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice kill. What'll it do in the 1/4?
Old 11-23-2009, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Sure as hell beats the GMC Terrain SUV that the wife wants me to get: 21-32mpg with a itty bitty 4 cylinder 2wd. Nice 'looking', but I gotta live in the damned thing for 2+hours a day. A Cobalt SS I could deal with! hah hah I actually bought my GTO to be the DD, but after my mods I'm only averaging 18-19mpg on the commute (75 miles, half city half hwy).
hahaha us guys and havin to mod our DD's

and i ran a 14.3 @ 103.5
has an easy 13 stock if i could launch better then a 2.4 sixty foot
Old 11-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Nice. Damn strong trap speed. I went 13.5 at that trap speed in a mustang with street tires. I think that some DRs would get you where you want to be.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice pair or cars you got there. Those four door cars are really fun! Just bought my wife an 07' Civic Si and it is a blast to drive.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Very nice pair or cars you got there. Those four door cars are really fun! Just bought my wife an 07' Civic Si and it is a blast to drive.

thanks

The Si is a great lookin 4 door. I grabbed the cobalt because of the power but I really like the looks of a nice Si with some tints.
Have to love the lil 4 doors that turn like a high end coupe!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris Arnold
Nice. Damn strong trap speed. I went 13.5 at that trap speed in a mustang with street tires. I think that some DRs would get you where you want to be.
nice!!

but I will probably be a guy and just add more power and hope for the best....lol
DR's are not in the future as I dont wana burn thru the sets or trade them out on track days.

I am lazy
Old 11-23-2009, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

Nice. Too bad I sold my 08 SS/TC when I got laid off in June. I got some money back now and instead picked up another F-body. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hugger1975
thanks

The Si is a great lookin 4 door. I grabbed the cobalt because of the power but I really like the looks of a nice Si with some tints.
Have to love the lil 4 doors that turn like a high end coupe!
Doesn't look to much different than your car I think. Does yours have a 5 or 6 speed? With only 200hp I'll be looking out for v6 mustangs.

002-6.jpg?t=1259036763
Old 11-24-2009, 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

they are 5 speeds.
watch out for those v6's......lol

and i still think Si > SS in looks dept.
put the LNF in an Si and i woulda bought that :-)

yes fellow cobalters......i said it!
Old 11-25-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Nice kill. Buddy of mine has a s/c colbalt ss its nice but not like the turbo ones.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:51 AM
DDS
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chris Arnold
Not to be a dick or anything, But a Cobalt SS Turbo is a better buy than an LS1 GTO and an 03/04 Mach 1. For the sheer fact they both trap right around the same and for 1-2K a Turbo Cobalt will *** pound any GTO/Mach 1 with the same money in it. Not only that but you can find Turbo Coupe Cobalts for 15K with under 10K miles.

RW WHAT?

Buddys mach 1 with WELL OVER 3K in mods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGsRxD5Fl5E
Old 11-26-2009, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Doesn't look to much different than your car I think.
Name:  waxedss.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  50.8 KB
Old 11-26-2009, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

this is turning into quite the 4 banger swinger thread...I'll throw something in about that video before the ford guys get in here. Not taking anything away from the Cobalt because I love those cars...but there are many factors here to consider. 1st you have a boosted tuned lighter cobalt SS vs a NA heavyweight Mach 1. 2nd, for all we know your buddy can't drive the mach1 worth a crap. Plus, what is the gearing? The cobalt gearing is setup from the factory for the turbo. If the mustang has a stockish gear thats gonna hurt. Don't come in here saying rear wheel what..he could have 3k in the wrong mods..gurantee you 3k in the correct mods would toast that Cobalt...its all relative
Old 11-26-2009, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

no swinging here......my wife doesnt like the idea

its jus a fun DD that can run traps of a 12 second car with a few boltons and tune.....from a dig is comical.
i was suprised i jumped out on the GT though.

cobalt = daily fun while traveling between my region
camaro = sunday fun not suprising anyone.....lol
Old 11-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
this is turning into quite the 4 banger swinger thread...I'll throw something in about that video before the ford guys get in here. Not taking anything away from the Cobalt because I love those cars...but there are many factors here to consider. 1st you have a boosted tuned lighter cobalt SS vs a NA heavyweight Mach 1. 2nd, for all we know your buddy can't drive the mach1 worth a crap. Plus, what is the gearing? The cobalt gearing is setup from the factory for the turbo. If the mustang has a stockish gear thats gonna hurt. Don't come in here saying rear wheel what..he could have 3k in the wrong mods..gurantee you 3k in the correct mods would toast that Cobalt...its all relative
Yeah Yeah Yeah... BLAH BLAH BLAH... We all know the story.... You too have had your *** handed to you by a lil' 4 banger turbo throwaway shitbox.... Neon srt's rock for the coin. The 'balts are closing in on them fast though bang for buck.
90+% of the RWD tuff guys like you won't even line up with me at a light in my EVO (4 cyl.shitbox cost me 10grand) and I've only had one go for it... (he lost) When I put it on the two-step next to them (5500rpm) they just give up.

Just give the poster props for a hard pulling fwd econobox please...lol
Old 11-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DDS
Not to be a dick or anything, But a Cobalt SS Turbo is a better buy than an LS1 GTO and an 03/04 Mach 1. For the sheer fact they both trap right around the same and for 1-2K a Turbo Cobalt will *** pound any GTO/Mach 1 with the same money in it. Not only that but you can find Turbo Coupe Cobalts for 15K with under 10K miles.
Not to be a dick or anything, but, you're out of your ******* mind.

Quick Reply: These darn turbo Cobalt's starting more trouble....Cobalt SS vs 2001'ish Mustang GT