Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Messed around with a Lincoln LS V8 in the G8

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Messed around with a Lincoln LS V8 in the G8

Went out for some food with a few friends last night and then PSM and I stopped to get gas on the way home. We talked for a bit and I noticed a guy in the parking lot with a black car (didn't pay attention to what it was at the time) who kept going under his hood and messing around. I figured he was putting oil in it or whatever and didn't think twice.

We left the lot and the black car pulled out right ahead of me and stopped at a light. I got next to him and saw that it was a Lincoln LS. I didn't think he would want to play around at all, but off the light he gunned it and the car sounded really good and was pretty loud. I didn't bother giving chase as he got a good jump and I would have just looked silly. The car definitely seemed to move out well. It was kind of a bad spot (due to cops usually being in the area, not due to traffic) so I knew that if we got a chance, we'd probably only get one.

Finally the road was straight enough to see that there were no cops sitting up ahead and he hit it right before I did. He got about a 1/2 car ahead and then I stopped his pull and started pulling back. I probably got about a 1/2 car in front and was pulling slowly, but steadily away so we both shut it down. Once it was clear what the outcome was going to be there was really no reason to keep going.

He kept gunning it as we went up the road, but seemed to be just having fun, not trying to race. He pulled into a parking lot and I followed in to get the scoop. Turned out that it was a 2004 Lincoln LS V8, which has a 3.9 liter Jaguar motor that's rated 280 hp and 286 tq (0-60 in under 6.5 seconds and they seem to make around 230-235 rwhp according to what I've found online).

The guy was cool and said that he had replaced the whole exhaust after the manifolds. I guess they don't make headers for these cars. He also has a tune and modified airbox. He also said he just replaced the heads with some stock ported units, but hasn't had it tuned for that yet, so he's not sure where it's at power wise. These mods were all according to him and I really don't know anything about these cars. He also said that it seems to have a slight hesitation at 3000 rpm since the head swap, but pulls ok otherwise. He said that his goals for it are to get it into the 13's.

He was checking out my car and said that he had been torn between getting the Lincoln or a G8, but he had always wanted the Lincoln and he couldn't pass it up. He said that he was going to call his buddy and tell him that he just got whooped by his dream car, haha.

Not much of a race since we cut it so short, but it was more than you can usually ask for this time of year

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 12-19-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Going to be alot of money that he'll be putting in to that car to get it moving. Should have persuaded him to get a G8 GT and be in the 13s stock.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:55 PM

Yeah, he was impressed when I told him what mine ran. Basic bolt-ons on those cars seem to put them into the 250-260 rwhp range, so it he gains 20 hp or more from the heads once he gets the tune down then I could see it cracking into the 13's.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:02 PM
On the tree

We had one, it was a 2006 LS V8 that was my wifes car. It was a nice car, had decent power and only weighed in the 3700lb range with 50/50 weight distribution.

Like said though, mods are few for them. Headers are very scarce and so is tuning other than some handheld stuff. Hard to get any real power out of them without spending mucho money. Notrious is about the only quick cheap mod for them.

We got rid of ours for a 2009 Lincoln MKZ, I sometimes wish we still had the LS though.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:16 PM

Yeah, the tuner he had was an SCT or something. From the Licoln websites I was checking out it definitely seems like the way to make any decent power improvements is with nitrous or a supercharger. I'm not sure if there are any aftermarket blowers for them or if people are swapping in the blown version of the 3.9 liter.

I did find it funny that they all seemed to dyno in the 235 range, and yet every person that got their's dynoed was disappointed, stating that they had hoped to make more. I guess no one researched at all before hitting up the local speed shop.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

nice!!!
I never would have expected that car to nail it. You never know what car a fun loving enthusiast may be hiding in!
Old 12-19-2009, 06:17 PM

^Definitely true! Sometimes I can't get anyone in a Mustang or Camaro to play, but then get suprised when a sleeper car pulls up and gives a rev

Quick Reply: Messed around with a Lincoln LS V8 in the G8