Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Real BS thread - Happy New Year

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
I have never been big on the Taurus pistols. Heard some real horror stories about them and personally would not trust them if it came down to it. But I would love me a Springfield 1911 EMP for a CCW.

However, Springfield XD > Glock IMO. I much prefer the way it feels in my hand and the way they shoot over than the Glocks. In fact, I carry an XD .45 Compact.
I got the PT1911 for like 200 bucks brand new couldnt resist it, I didnt shoot it much. But when I did shoot it it was accurate and smooth, definitely not what Id expected from a lesser known manufacturer.

I have always heard good things about XD's, but never got to shoot one. I know a lot of people prefer them over Glocks and what not, but to me Glock is the original, the trend setter that almost every modern pistol followed. My Glock with hogue grips feels like sex in my hands.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gixper
I cant see spending a lot of dough on guns. An AK is $400 or $500, not only is it practically indistructable...it has the best kind of cool factor. Mossberg 12 gages are $290 and a .40 S&W about $300. So for a little over a grand you can have all the firepower you need to protect your humble abode in the event of a zombie invasion or to take out some terrorists!
Have you ever shot an AK or a AR? AK is much less accurate, a lot slower to manipulate, the sights suck ***, mounting optics on it is very ineffecient, the barrel actually wobbles when you shoot it. It can actually be kind of challenge hitting a man sized target out to 150 meters with an AK, and by the time you put up and aligned those AK sights on someone with an AR you would of caught a few by then. AR is so modular, you push two pins and you can have a carbine in one second or a long barreled sniper varient within seconds. Its a lot lighter and much more comfortable to use, reloading an AR is SIGNIFICANTLY faster then an AK. Keep your direct gas impingment AR clean and itll never ever fail you. Or buy a gas pistoned upper receiver and have an absolute beast of a gun.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

I have never been big on the Taurus pistols. Heard some real horror stories about them and personally would not trust them if it came down to it. But I would love me a Springfield 1911 EMP for a CCW.

However, Springfield XD > Glock IMO. I much prefer the way it feels in my hand and the way they shoot over than the Glocks. In fact, I carry an XD .45 Compact.
+1 on the the Taurus. My friends picked up some for real cheap and they were trying to convince me to get one. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for with certain items, and with firearms I definitely trust that motto.

Well and XD is pretty much a glock with a different frame angle. The designs are pretty similar but the XD was geared to people who didn't jive with the glock frame angle.

When the time comes, I'll think I will pick up a Glock for more practical everyday or every week shooting. But I will never deny the pimp factor of a Kimber. It would be a sweet family/mantle gun to keep around and shoot occasionally when reliability doesn't count (range time, not real life). .45ACP is just hand cannon ammo and its fun to send some big lead down range sometimes.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of Taurus..my buddies 1911 broke the other day. **** that ****. I want either a g23, or maybe some other glock in either .45, .40, or 9mm depending on how they shoot and feel in my hand, or a springfield XD if the price is right. Kimber for 1911, but **** the 1200 price tag.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by USArmyZ28
Have you ever shot an AK or a AR? AK is much less accurate, a lot slower to manipulate, the sights suck ***, mounting optics on it is very ineffecient, the barrel actually wobbles when you shoot it. It can actually be kind of challenge hitting a man sized target out to 150 meters with an AK
I've owned an AK, but never an AR. My AK was pretty accurate to about 100 yards, I never tried anything further than that. I actually like the sites on it, but I agree trying to mount optics is a joke. I never had any barrel or reloading issues?

An AK definitely isn't the kind of gun you reach out and touch someone 300 yards away with.. it's good for making a lasting impression on animals or people though
Old 01-05-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
I've owned an AK, but never an AR. My AK was pretty accurate to about 100 yards, I never tried anything further than that. I actually like the sites on it, but I agree trying to mount optics is a joke. I never had any barrel or reloading issues?

An AK definitely isn't the kind of gun you reach out and touch someone 300 yards away with.. it's good for making a lasting impression on animals or people though
Agreed.

AR = tactical scalpel.

AK = Sledgehammer.

Depends how precise you want to be at the end of the day. 7.62 is no joke.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Agreed.

AR = tactical scalpel.

AK = Sledgehammer.

Depends how precise you want to be at the end of the day. 7.62 is no joke.
Werd, i put like 500 rounds through my AK over the holiday, more fun than racing mustangs!! but accuracy is relativley poor compared to everything, reloading is slow, and the sights are difficult. and those squirrels are ******* quick, especially when your raining lead like its WW3 lol
Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33

Im not saying AK's are terrible, there the worlds most used assault rifle for a reason, but I just dont think they compare to higher class rifles. The action lever is on the right side of the receiver making it akward to switch from safe-auto-semi and it doesnt have a bolt catch so you have to manually pull back the bolt everytime to reload it. With an AR everything is on the left and right next to your thumb, it takes less then a second to switch from safe semi auto. The bolt stays open on the last round fired and is released by tapping the release on the left side, much much faster then an AK.

The AK barrel actually wobbles and flex's while its shooting, you have to view it with a high frame camera but it definitely wobbles. Theres a video on youtube that demonstrates such.

7.62x39 is definitely no joke, but if your target is a human being it doesnt take much at all to put it out of business. Most assasinations are handled with a .22 caliber magnum lol, so it doesnt take a large round to incapacitate someone.

I used to really want a Glock 20 10MM anybody have any experience with 10mm?
Old 01-05-2010, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

I have been wondering about the 10mm as well. Hard to find ammo for (from my understanding), but it is another gun I have been looking at since I am turning 21 soon and looking for a carry weapon.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

Have you ever shot an AK or a AR? AK is much less accurate, a lot slower to manipulate, the sights suck ***, mounting optics on it is very ineffecient, the barrel actually wobbles when you shoot it. It can actually be kind of challenge hitting a man sized target out to 150 meters with an AK
Yes I have shot an AK; I own one...my only argument is that for a fraction of the cost you can have one of the most trusted assult rifles on the maket. I can probably bury my AK in mud over night...dig it up and shoot it. I mean if cost is of no importance then by all means get an AR15 or an M4 with all the bells and wistles. I personally can't see spending 2K on a gun. For less than the cost of an AR15 I can have a decent hand gun, a shotgun, and an assult rifle. I have no aspirations of being a professional Marksman...I don't have an AK to so I can hit a target 200m away....from 50m I'll give you hell though.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gixper
Yes I have shot an AK; I own one...my only argument is that for a fraction of the cost you can have one of the most trusted assult rifles on the maket. I can probably bury my AK in mud over night...dig it up and shoot it. I mean if cost is of no importance then by all means get an AR15 or an M4 with all the bells and wistles. I personally can't see spending 2K on a gun. For less than the cost of an AR15 I can have a decent hand gun, a shotgun, and an assult rifle. I have no aspirations of being a professional Marksman...I don't have an AK to so I can hit a target 200m away....from 50m I'll give you hell though.
Yeah thats true AK's are built like tanks and work in virtually all adverse conditions, AR is just very versatile and can be used in so many more situations. I used a Colt M4 in the mountains of afghanistan though and it performed superb, the only thing that gives AR the unreliable reputation are the low quality contracted magazines the Govt uses. I owe Colt my life as well as a lot of my friends, I will stick with AR's until they build laser guns.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
I have been wondering about the 10mm as well. Hard to find ammo for (from my understanding), but it is another gun I have been looking at since I am turning 21 soon and looking for a carry weapon.

Yeah thats what kept me away from it, the Glock 20 is only like 500$ give or take, but ammo is hard to find and it usually cost a bit more then already expensive .45. 10MM is like a Rhino though, leaves .45 ACP in its dust and has nearly twice the energy
Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah thats what kept me away from it, the Glock 20 is only like 500$ give or take, but ammo is hard to find and it usually cost a bit more then already expensive .45. 10MM is like a Rhino though, leaves .45 ACP in its dust and has nearly twice the energy
I know, that is why I want one. Atleast target shooting would be hella fun..Idk if that powerful of a round would be good for defense though. I mean, hell yea it will drop the target...but what happens to whatever is behind the target. Granted hallow point will help keep that from happening, but what if I have fmj loaded in it fresh from the range or something...
Old 01-05-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

I know, that is why I want one. Atleast target shooting would be hella fun..Idk if that powerful of a round would be good for defense though. I mean, hell yea it will drop the target...but what happens to whatever is behind the target. Granted hallow point will help keep that from happening, but what if I have fmj loaded in it fresh from the range or something...

Even a 9MM would go through a person and wound or kill another person behind it. Especially at close range, 5.56 at close range passes so fast through somebody at close range that sometimes it wont tumble or fragment. 10MM is used for hunting sometimes though its an extremely potent round, its close to a .41 magnum. I hear the recoil is pretty stout too from what I hear, hence why when the FBI said 10MM was unpractical and requested a new round S&W shortened the 10MM and created the .40 S&W.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

Hmm. Then someone like me with no firearms experience shouldn't get a 10mm lol. So still got my eyes on a XD 40 compact, or a g23, or a Sig if I could find one for the right price.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmm. Then someone like me with no firearms experience shouldn't get a 10mm lol. So still got my eyes on a XD 40 compact, or a g23, or a Sig if I could find one for the right price.
SIGs are beautiful pieces. They run like clock work. Do they still have that deal where a bunch of police SIGs were retired and were available for purchase for like $300 or $400 and less. I remember Nautilus on SSU picked one up for cheap.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

Hmm...I'll have to look into that. Thanks man. I saw a brand new one for $700 I think at the local gun shop. Though I get discount....not enough on that lol. I would rather build my AR for like 200 more lol.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

Sigs are really nice and the actions feel like butter, I just always thought they felt weird in my hands and looked weird. But its a fine piece of swiss ingenuity and always make the top 3, but youll pay a HEAVY price. I have seen some 9mm Sigs for more then a grand.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

Sigs are really nice and the actions feel like butter, I just always thought they felt weird in my hands and looked weird. But its a fine piece of swiss ingenuity and always make the top 3, but youll pay a HEAVY price. I have seen some 9mm Sigs for more then a grand.
Some of the HK USPs go for like a grand also. How would you compare the two?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Some of the HK USPs go for like a grand also. How would you compare the two?
**** the USP, I want a Mk.23