Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

First loss in a while :(

Old 04-22-2010, 03:33 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First loss in a while :(

Welp, just got back from getting in a few good runs with my friends neighbor. We had been talking about running for a while now and saw him on the way home and figured it was time to find out who was faster. My car is a 03 cobra, mods are Steg Stage 4 Eaton, Upper & Lower, TNT 75hp dry kit, LFP reservoir, Accufab T/B, 60# injectors, Pypes ORX + Borla, M/T 315/35 drag radials. Numbers are 517/526 blower only. No nitrous was used tonight.

His car is a '99 SS with stock bottom end, ARP rod bolts, some kind of cam in the 24x range, ported TFS 215 Heads, FAST 92, all the bolt-ons including long-tube headers, 6-speed, drag radials and a fair amount of weight reduction. The car weighs 32xx lbs without him and put down 485whp on a 248 dynojet.

1st race we wen't from a 35 roll. He pulls immediately and slowly gets about a car length on me until we shut down at around 110.

2nd run was from the same 30 roll but this time he pulls a little harder, maybe 1.25 cars ahead by about 115 or so.

3rd run was from a 40 roll with virtually the same results, this time getting his biggest lead of the night of about 1.5 cars on me when we shut down.

I was suprised to say the least. I have beaten several H/C LS1 cars in the past, especially stock bottom end cars. This guy has his ducks in a row with his build for sure. It amazes me at how well those LS1's do N/A. Oh well, the next time I run across him i'll just spray and get revenge.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow good death! Its crazy how LS1's can range in a lot of different power with H/C/I. It would take a strong set up to take down a pullied/ported Cobra. I know with those mods they put down about 500-520rwhp.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO you would have to be putting down 575 for it to be a dead even run just about.. Anything over that will allow you to pull.

Good runs/death.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
Wow good death! Its crazy how LS1's can range in a lot of different power with H/C/I. It would take a strong set up to take down a pullied/ported Cobra. I know with those mods they put down about 500-520rwhp.
Yeah that's the thing about H/C LSX's. It could be a 450whp car or a 550whp car. You never know.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lemons12
IMO you would have to be putting down 575 for it to be a dead even run just about.. Anything over that will allow you to pull.

Good runs/death.
That's roughly what i'm putting down on the shot. I'm pretty sure i'd have the advantage then.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
That's roughly what i'm putting down on the shot. I'm pretty sure i'd have the advantage then.
But you will have a LOOOT more TQ as well.

Blower only I think that is what it would take... With the shot, I would assume you by 4 cars or so.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn, you have the EXACT same car as my friend, almost the EXACT setup and almost EXACT numbers he put down. 03 redfire, like 520/530, same mods but he had a 150 shot.

good runs! spray him and show him that sexy cobra ***! most of the H/C ls1s out there arent that strong with that much weight reduction, so you should take your fair share of fbodies. any future mods coming (KB, whipple, turbo )??
Old 04-22-2010, 10:44 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice death!

Every once in a while you'll run into an above average stock-bottom H/C car.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:54 AM

Good death, man! I raced a ported blower Cobra before I had the heads and I barely beat it on a 100 shot. That's a very stout heads/cam car to pull you.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 PM
9 Second Club

If he was at 485 and your about 520 then yeah 3200lbs sounds about right. That little bit of weight advantage helped him pull you.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ARCTIC '00
If he was at 485 and your about 520 then yeah 3200lbs sounds about right. That little bit of weight advantage helped him pull you.
This! I completely agree. And honorable death man! Spray him next time and leave him wondering WTF? haha
Old 04-22-2010, 03:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Welp, just got back from getting in a few good runs with my friends neighbor. We had been talking about running for a while now and saw him on the way home and figured it was time to find out who was faster. My car is a 03 cobra, mods are Steg Stage 4 Eaton, Upper & Lower, TNT 75hp dry kit, LFP reservoir, Accufab T/B, 60# injectors, Pypes ORX + Borla, M/T 315/35 drag radials. Numbers are 517/526 blower only. No nitrous was used tonight.

His car is a '99 SS with stock bottom end, ARP rod bolts, some kind of cam in the 24x range, ported TFS 215 Heads, FAST 92, all the bolt-ons including long-tube headers, 6-speed, drag radials and a fair amount of weight reduction. The car weighs 32xx lbs without him and put down 485whp on a 248 dynojet.

1st race we wen't from a 35 roll. He pulls immediately and slowly gets about a car length on me until we shut down at around 110.

2nd run was from the same 30 roll but this time he pulls a little harder, maybe 1.25 cars ahead by about 115 or so.

3rd run was from a 40 roll with virtually the same results, this time getting his biggest lead of the night of about 1.5 cars on me when we shut down.

I was suprised to say the least. I have beaten several H/C LS1 cars in the past, especially stock bottom end cars. This guy has his ducks in a row with his build for sure. It amazes me at how well those LS1's do N/A. Oh well, the next time I run across him i'll just spray and get revenge.

Your title reads : First loss in a while... That must mean you enjoy a lot of wins It sounded like a real good time and you are a very good sport about it, giving credit where credit is due. Hats off to ya my Cobra friend Now go find him tonight and spray that Snake
Old 04-22-2010, 03:48 PM
9 Second Club

I'm the guy the O.P. raced. You guys are making me laugh my *** off by suggesting the O.P. spray me. Here I am, an all motor car, let alone stock block N/A car and the O.P. has gotten a modified supercharger, and if that's not enough he needs nitrous just to even the playing field. Not trying to come over and start any ****, but seriously come on, I would think the ported blower would have been enough. Honestly I expected to lose, but then again I have absolutely demolished every pullied Cobra i've ran so I should have expected it to be close with a ported Eaton. And FTR the car has AFR 205's not TFS 215's.

My 400+ cid iron-block setup will be finished soon which will include larger ETP 235cc heads, a more aggressive cam and will be WELL over 500, probably 550-ish or more when it's all said and done. I've already got the block and heads, just waiting on the rotating assembly, fuel system and a few loose ends. By that time OP you'd better have a KB or whipple or something.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cobras usually have to minimum be ported to run with a decent H/C setup... To beat them they usually have to have spray.
Way it is... Good runs man!
Old 04-22-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UBoysPlayBall?
I'm the guy the O.P. raced. You guys are making me laugh my *** off by suggesting the O.P. spray me. Here I am, an all motor car, let alone stock block N/A car and the O.P. has gotten a modified supercharger, and if that's not enough he needs nitrous just to even the playing field. Not trying to come over and start any ****, but seriously come on, I would think the ported blower would have been enough. Honestly I expected to lose, but then again I have absolutely demolished every pullied Cobra i've ran so I should have expected it to be close with a ported Eaton. And FTR the car has AFR 205's not TFS 215's.

My 400+ cid iron-block setup will be finished soon which will include larger ETP 235cc heads, a more aggressive cam and will be WELL over 500, probably 550-ish or more when it's all said and done. I've already got the block and heads, just waiting on the rotating assembly, fuel system and a few loose ends. By that time OP you'd better have a KB or whipple or something.
Nice set up!
Old 04-22-2010, 04:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
Cobras usually have to minimum be ported to run with a decent H/C setup... To beat them they usually have to have spray.
Way it is... Good runs man!
I guess your right.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
Nice set up!
Thanks! Nice Pewter SS. That's the color I wanted but had no luck.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

nice death OP...also nice kill to the opponent...and both of have real nice/fast cars...faster than anything that I will ever be able to do to the Z28
Old 04-22-2010, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SHELBY08
Your title reads : First loss in a while... That must mean you enjoy a lot of wins It sounded like a real good time and you are a very good sport about it, giving credit where credit is due. Hats off to ya my Cobra friend Now go find him tonight and spray that Snake
youre snake is the exact one i would get if i had the money love the color combo

i actually just called tony mamo this week discussing a future setup along the lines of yours. i suggest you let him port your FAST, you wont be disappointed. im pretty much aiming for your setup, so thoe numbers are VERY pleasing to me.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:09 PM

I'm the guy the O.P. raced. You guys are making me laugh my *** off by suggesting the O.P. spray me.
I would spray the next time too. At first glance based on dyno numbers it looks like the Cobra should win, but you have a strong *** car that's not too heavy from the looks of it! He's already got the nitrous, why not use it?

Looks like your new setup is going to be quite stout as well

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First loss in a while :(