Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

1995 Trans Am vs 1995 Miata and 2006 Subaru Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Trans Am vs 1995 Miata and 2006 Subaru Impreza

Okay, so me and a friend of mine (the miata) were going out to some twisty backroads we know out here in WV to have some fun cruising by the lakes and mountains, and on the way out (on I-68 out of Morgantown for those familiar with the road) we decided to go at it a couple times.

Miata (notable mods)
Supercharger @ 12psi
Full exhaust (ricer-sounding exhaust ... he owns a bbc camaro, so it's forgiven)
heads/cam
lowered, full racing setup (Eibach springs, Tokico struts), roll cage for track
50 hp shot installed ... just for this

Trans Am: Stock, 3.42 rear, went 15.5 @ 97mph w/ 2.5 60' a month ago when I just bought it.

Run 1: 60mph roll. I yelled out the window "Just go, I'll catch you" and I guess he mis-understood or something, launched it in 4th gear, I was in 3rd and nailed it. He got me by 1/4 length before I punched the throttle, and I instantly put 2 lengths on him. Hit fourth gear, but it was pointless ... lifted at 110, after having lifted off a little already, and had 3 lengths on him. He also forgot to purge the lines.

Run 2: 50mph roll, we had chatted on the CB some and I explained to him that I wanted him to go when he was ready, and I'd play catch-up, since that was the only "fair" way to run a 5.7L V8 vs 1.8L L4. He got almost a full length off the jump on me before I stopped his pull this time, and I slowly gained on him up to 90mph. He hit the bottle when he saw me pull even, and we stayed side-by-side up to 110mph, when he shut down (ran outta gear). I call it a draw ... don't like winning on top-speed alone.

So, we got out to the backroads and cruised around some, then got onto I-79NB to head back to the apartments, and out of nowhere, I see this blue subaru FLYING up on us in the left lane.

2006 Subaru Impreza mods (notable ones, anyways):
Base model, i4, manual, non-turbo
HKS exhaust (idk if it was built for it or not...)
Intake (with intercooler ... on a non-turbo, wtf?)
Triple gauge pod
STi badges (put on slanted)
STi rear wing (primer)
STi fenders (primer)
underbody neons (didn't those go out of style ... before they were ever sold)

You get the idea. Me and him don't get along (he also goes to the same college).

He paces off of me for a few seconds, I waited for him to honk it off or something, but no, outta nowhere, he just punches it (or at least I heard him ... couldn't tell by speeds mind you). So, I nailed it too. Starting in 4th at ~ 70mph. At first, we stayed side-by-side, at least for a moment. I then pulled, and by 90 I had him by half a length, and finally shut 'er down at 110, with several lengths on him (and the miata on my bumper, wondering why I didn't drop to 3rd, lol).

Of course, after I hit the brakes, and brought the speed down, he SLOWLY passes me, still in the throttle and hits the flashers. Ahh well, I'll let him think he's got me beat ... until I get these longtubes, the SLP LM2, 3.73's, and Nitto 555's or similar. Then, he's gonna see who's boss when we hit up E-town.

Also, I got killed by a cammed/full suspension Firehawk. Of course, that one was de-badged (and an LSx). I thought it'd be closer by the looks of the car, but once we pulled into a gas station and chatted some, and I found out how modded his car was, I knew I never stood a chance. Ah well, you win some, you lose some.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where in the hell did you run a 15.5???
Old 04-27-2010, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
Where in the hell did you run a 15.5???
Englishtown Raceway Park, was there for the GM EFI day (combo'd with Corvette Day). Elim'd first round on a 15.49 break-out (DEEP) on a 15.7 dial with a .02 light.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its sad that after all the money and work put into that miata, it gets beat by a stock LT1....anyhow good kill(s).

P.S. That kid in the Subaru sounds like a douche
Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like the miata needs to be burned to the ground. H/C, supercharged, probably 600lbs less, and still getting yanked by a stock LT1? Garbage.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm calling BS or the Miata driver needs to learn how to ******* drive. I just looked up supercharged 95 miata's. I couldn't find any with the same mods...but I found one with less done to it than the one he raced. It ran a 14.4.....without a 50 shot and less boost. I'd imagine he'd be in the high 13's with the 50 shot and Mr. stock Trans Am here would be the one crying. So either the miata is not nearly as modded as he claims......you are lying.....or your friend needs to learn how to drive.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Nice kill. I've seen some fairly impressive s/c Miata's. That is THE car to have for any SCCA/roadcourse duty.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Endersshadow
I'm calling BS or the Miata driver needs to learn how to ******* drive. I just looked up supercharged 95 miata's. I couldn't find any with the same mods...but I found one with less done to it than the one he raced. It ran a 14.4.....without a 50 shot and less boost. I'd imagine he'd be in the high 13's with the 50 shot and Mr. stock Trans Am here would be the one crying. So either the miata is not nearly as modded as he claims......you are lying.....or your friend needs to learn how to drive.
Keep in mind:
1) I just tuned up the T/A. New plugs/wires.
2) The Miata hadn't been tuned in a while
3) Miata had the top down.
4) These are ROLL races. From a speed where my T/A still pulls quite nicely, yet the miata doesn't. And as a roll race, the weight factor becomes less important, and hp and Coeff. of Drag becomes more important.

Also, I'm not 100% on his experience with drag racing. After all, the first run (where I flat-out WALKED him) he was in the wrong gear, even though I let him go first and only got on it once he punched it.

He could be lying about his mods ... would be a ricer move for him, but hell, we've all heard those bench racers talking about how modded their car is, so it could be. We did pop the hood, and I did see a blower under his miata's hood, so I'm assuming he had that setup. First run for him on the bottle also.

Sadly no video of that run, I'll see if we can get a camera out the next time we go at it.

- JR
Old 04-28-2010, 01:16 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm no pro-racer but I'd think 15.5 would be a little slow for an LT-1. I've run a 14.8 in my '69 Charger (440, 3.23 gears) and that thing is a tank. As for the Miata, I'm not sure if having the top down would affect it THAT much. I mean, try telling that to a Shelby Cobra or even my dumb *** in my '97Z vert-I can hit triple digit speeds rather quickly. It is a scary thing to do though so maybe your friend held back a little.

Regardless, a kill is a kill is a kill...