Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Friendly run in with a Grand National

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Friendly run in with a Grand National

Out cruising the local strip tonight and I pulled into a parking lot to wait for my friends. I had a buddy with me and as we're waiting a 1986 or 1987 Grand National pulls up with two guys in it. They were very friendly and asked if it had a 383 in it. I told them it was just a heads and cam setup that ran 11.9 and then asked about the GN. They said it had a few things done including an aftermarket turbo, etc. They said that the car needed a converter and tires because it sucked from a stop as it sat (I had already checked out the rear tires and found them to be run of the mill street tires).

I could tell that they wanted to run my car, but they weren't coming out and saying it and they were being slightly shady (in the way that only car guys can be ) about how fast the GN was. I finally just told them to follow me if they wanted to run the cars and they enthusiastically accepted. I knew they wouldn't do a dig so I asked where they wanted to run from and they said 50 mph (which is great for me in 2nd gear with the 28" tires on the car). On the way to the spot I told my buddy that I would run them on motor and if they beat be decently then I'd try to get a second run and spray them.

The first time we started to line up I heard their turbo spool and they took off. I hadn't even downshifted yet so I didn't chase them. They slowed and we lined up again. This time I knew how it was gonna go down so I put it into 2nd gear as I got next to them. Once I was next to them I heard the turbo spooling and I hit it. I started pulling as soon as we hit it and probably had 4 cars on them by the top of 4th gear with them never stopping my pull.

We didn't get a chance to run the cars again, but we pulled into a gas station and chatted. They were real nice guys and gave me credit for having a fast car. I complimented the GN as it was a beautiful car in mint condition. They said, "You have nitrous don't you?" I told them that I did have nitrous, but that the run we just did was on motor. I'm not sure if they believed me or not, but either way they were cool about it.

I asked if they dynoed it and the owner said it made 375 rwhp on 14 PSI. He then told me that they were running 21 PSI tonight. I'm not sure where the real facts lay, but I'm quite sure that the car wasn't making the 440+ that it probably would be on 21 PSI (based off the claimed 375 rwhp on 14 PSI). They also said that the car takes a while to spool, but really pulls hard once it does. This tells me that they didn't brake boost and it would have been a closer race if they had.

I would guess that 375-390 rwhp is about right and that combined with the turbo lag from not brake boosting allowed my 422 rwhp to pull away solidly.

Very fun race and the guys were real cool, with props given all around.

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 05-02-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

I dont know how you have such good self control with the bottle, Id spray on everything

Good run, you gotta start keeping a camera with you at all times your getting some sweet kills out there.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great kill!

I love GN's and almost had one myself.

I don't know how "sneaky" they were being. The GN's strength is in its killer launch. It's not an effective roll race car. They generally get great ET's for the MPH. They wont mph like a LSx car. Not having sticky tires on a GN to take advantage of that is a shame. You'd be surprised how easily they can get a wheel up!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:47 AM

Thanks!

I wasn't referring to them wanting to roll race as being sneaky. They knew that with stock tires and stock converter they would be toast from a dig since I'm on 28" Mickey Thompson's and skinnies. I'm more referring to them not having any numbers or any idea on what it should run before we raced and the only realy mod being "mostly stock with a few things and an aftermarket turbo." Then after the race they were throwing numbers around, haha. It's cool either way as we all do it and it makes for an fun race.

If it was up to me no one would talk about mods before, just go line up and them find out what was done afterwards. That'd be badass!

Those cars definitely seem to run a great ET for the mph they put up. I told them to change out the converter, get some sticky tires, and let me know how it runs at the strip.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Good run, was that the same GN that was sitting at BK all night?
Old 05-02-2010, 11:32 AM

Not sure, there were like 4 or 5 different GN's and Turbo Regals throughout the night. What was up with all the blown 5.0's running street tires?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron when i was leaving last night i saw a Grand National at the gas station by the pumps, had the hood up too... That car was begging for losses last night! dan said he beat up on him also! i was at a stop light and they were staring at me... if only they came after me! LOL. good night of cruising... that mustang kid was the best though!!

but i do have a thing for those GN's and T-Types! i would like to have a sleeper setup with one of those!
Old 05-02-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

eheh, i think i know the GN you are talking about. was this at the turn pike? if so the car makes 391 RWHP and has meth injection and the driver doesnt brake boost because he doesnt understand the concept.think his name is mike? usually has a backwards ball cap on.

on a side note, u should head up to RI sometime and run rays GN on spray for a good run he knows how to brake boost and he has a pretty beefed up GN or his 99 SS
Old 05-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

I cant believe that so many mid 80's turbo 3.8L are running around where you live. Hard to find up here, and every single one that you come across at a car show or on the road is at a minimum a 10 second car. The non 10 second cars are sitting in environmentally controlled rooms in car collectors garages. Good kill!
Old 05-02-2010, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

Definitely not a roll race car, I learned my lesson when I ran an LS1 in my 87 turbo T. My car ran 11.78 @117 with only a chip(110 octane), 3"DP, cat back and TE-44(93 octane chip it ran 12.40 at 108. Never tracked it with the 60-1 but it pulled much harder, think that setup would have hung better from a roll.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
I cant believe that so many mid 80's turbo 3.8L are running around where you live. Hard to find up here, and every single one that you come across at a car show or on the road is at a minimum a 10 second car. The non 10 second cars are sitting in environmentally controlled rooms in car collectors garages. Good kill!
there is a lot of Gns in CT/RI but very few are real GNs, id say ive prolly only seen maybe 20-30 real ones, i know ray's is legit cause he is 1 of 500 registered in new england, i forget the site he gave me. but theres a site where u can see how many are registered in certain areas.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:22 PM

NXPRSS, yeah I saw Dan hit it behind the GN after they got on it and he was catching them for sure. Good time last night, alot of cool cars out!

DarkJuggalo, not sure if that was him or not, I didn't catch a name. The guys were hispanic though. What's up with the GN? I'm not sure if I'll be roadtripping all the way out there for a race, but if I happen to be passing through it sounds like fun!

Sticks n Stones, there are quite a few Turbo Regals, but the GN's are more rare around here. There was a SICK one at the cruise last night. I got some pictures that I'll try to post up later.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Teching In

You guys are in CT/RI? anyone remember an 80's style Toyota Tercel with a rotary engine? He ran in New London and Hartford quite a bit along with some RX3's.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didnt bother making a post but this was me vs my brother on saturday. Mods are int he beginning just thought id post since its GN related and to show that they can be fast cars froma roll, but id never wanna test him froma dig with the 275/60 M/t's on the back its just plain nasty. My car is about 110mph car on motor to put it in perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LjqXkH3O5g
Old 05-03-2010, 09:00 AM

I'm not doubting that they can be quick from a roll, but it's definitely not their strong point. I think if the guy I had raced was brake boosting then it would have been a closer race, but I was pulling him to hard for it to have been neck and neck. Nice race, what does your brother's car make for power?

I'm waiting for my buddy to get his GN tuned for pump gas. I'm thinking it's gonna make 430-450 rwhp and wil probably be a good race for me on motor from a roll. If he puts a good tire on it then it should be very interesting from a dig

Originally Posted by itsslow98
My car is about 110mph car on motor to put it in perspective.
Originally Posted by itsslow98
lets see, stock V's are trapping 107-110 bone stock
Sucks that your long tubes and cold air didn't really gain you anything.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Definately race him from a dig!

If you get him, no one can say sh-t!

You drive around in drag radials and skinnies everywhere?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice run. I guarantee you they thought you sprayed them when you lined up the second time, haha. Oh well, if they come back looking to have some more fun and they mod up some more, you can always spray them then if you have to just to prove the point, hahaha.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by ForceFedC5
Definately race him from a dig!

If you get him, no one can say sh-t!

You drive around in drag radials and skinnies everywhere?
Yeah, I'm looking forward to running my buddy for fun. He's gonna get some 28" MT's so both cars should launch nicely.

I usually drive on 17x9 Torque Thrust M wheels, but the Nittos are not great on the spray, so I swapped these on until I get some MT's for my 17" wheels. I really only drive the car when I'm messing around having fun so the skinnies aren't bad. I wouldn't want them on a daily driver.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:49 AM
9 Second Club

I wish you guys were closer so I could bring my G/N over to play. Then again, that wouldn't be fair now would it.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:52 AM

nice kill op. those G/N's move out, and trust me they can be fierce from a roll too.

Originally Posted by ARCTIC '00
I wish you guys were closer so I could bring my G/N over to play. Then again, that wouldn't be fair now would it.
hey just curious, were you the guy at sac raceway last march running the zr1? i see your located in tahoe so I figured that could be you since not too many of those running around. if so I was the guy with the yellow viper you were talking to. that car is bad ***.