Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Go Baby GO!!! 20..... 25...... 30.... 35mph and Hazards FTW!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Go Baby GO!!! 20..... 25...... 30.... 35mph and Hazards FTW!

GM versus Dodge. A rivalry that was around before the Cold War, and still going strong 20 years afterwards. In the midst of that great story, my little episode played out like so many others: mano-a-mano, only a few witnesses, and whose results are significant only to the two who were facing each other across those trenches that night.

... If it is possible for there to be a beginning to a neverending saga, here was this stories beginning:

After 2 hours of driving at a speed that would give me a ticket if caught, I finally see the familiar rearend 4 cars ahead of me, just entering the small town of Oak Harbor- a mere 5 miles from our destination. YES! Speed dial #3 on the cell and I follow him into a walmart parking lot at the edge of town, parking side by side with his rig. All 50' of it:

'03 GMC Duromax 4x4 kingcab 3/4 ton with a aprx 8000lb 26' travel trailer.

My rig? Well, it's my brother in-laws 3/4 ton '07 Dodge Cummins 2x4 kingcab with his 8200lb 29' travel trailer.

"Didn't think you were gonna catch up" he comments.
"I was hauling *** the whole way. That Dodge has some *****."
"Heh. Why did you pull in?" (I didnt need supplies).
"You know why: The same reason your wife said you were going under the speedlimit for the last hour." I replied with a SEG suddenly blooming on both our faces.
My brother replies: "I've been waiting to run his truck ever since his dad (my father-in-law) started bragging it up."

Smiling large now we set it up: On the steep uphill road leaving town, we leave on the second blink of my hazards. Turns out to be a 5mph rolling start.

I cheat a bit and romp on the big Cummin's pedal as soon as I hit the hazards: the damnable 2-3 second lag when you go WOT is a killer otherwise. By 20mph I'm up one car length!

Tach ever so slowly creeping up: 2700rpms... 2800rpms.. oh so slow!.. 2900rpms and shift! Glance in the mirror shows that the Duromax has gained back half a car and was closing!! 30mph!!.. 32mph!! the other 1/2 car lead is now in danger... 34mph- sweat's beading on my forehead now. I reach down and tussle my daughters hair, turn the dual climate zone A/C on and wipe my brow..
...35mph!!! I still got a fender lead so I tap the brakes and hit the hazards and take that win to the bank!! Cummins for the muthersmurffin win!!

Truck Info:
Both rigs are bone stock. Dave and I are both circled each others rigs, commenting on this n that, each reading the others trailer data plates and adding up water tank weights, pack-in weights, passengers (I had one, he had 4) and come to the conclusion that they are effectively even in the loads. No excuses!!
Old 05-17-2010, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a serious story? I'm kinda confused?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redws618
This is an awesome race. I've always wanted to race another truck with a trailer.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redws618
Yeah, it's serious and 100% true: 15,000lb diesel trucks going uphill from a near stop take forever to accellerate! I presume by your ignorance of towing that you've never been in a truck towing a heavy load? Especially up a hill?

I'm talking about the weight of over 4 GTO's with the aero drag of 20!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Yeah, it's serious and 100% true: 15,000lb diesel trucks going uphill from a near stop take forever to accellerate! I presume by your ignorance of towing that you've never been in a truck towing a heavy load? Especially up a hill?

My 2007 F-350 FX-4 Lariat 6.0 turbo diesel would have handed you guys your ***!!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:05 AM
Teching In

haha good post
Old 05-17-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I reach down and tussle my daughters hair, turn the dual climate zone A/C on and wipe my brow..
I LOL'd at this sentence.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Says you. I don't even notice 10k behind me
Old 05-17-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so if you wouldnt of cheated, you woulda lost in other words right? jk funny read
Old 05-17-2010, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i enjoy random threads like this. where/when did this "hazards FTW" thing come from?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great story. Well written and funny.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by odarabla
My 2007 F-350 FX-4 Lariat 6.0 turbo diesel would have handed you guys your ***!!
Wait, F-350? You mean Ford?! We are talking about REAL trucks here, keep that thing in the "AWD car" section where it belongs! jk
Originally Posted by 6.0 silverado
Says you. I don't even notice 10k behind me
Maybe, but I guaranty you that all those cars your trailer rolled over at every turn DID notice!
Originally Posted by 02ws666
so if you wouldnt of cheated, you woulda lost in other words right? jk funny read
Easily woulda lost! That turbo lag was horrendous on the dodge. So bad I had to let my brother drive it before he would believe me that it took 2-3 full seconds before it would move when I punched it from a low rpm. So I guess you could say "Driver Mod For The Win".
Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Great story. Well written and funny.
Thanks!!
Old 05-17-2010, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

The 6.0 diesel fords where the same way with the turbo lag. That's why I bought my Bullydog triple dog GT tuner. You still get a little lag off the line but once the turbo starts spooling hold on cause that baby rolls! I break boost my F-350 when I roll race it!! LOL
Old 05-17-2010, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Wait, F-350? You mean Ford?! We are talking about REAL trucks here, keep that thing in the "AWD car" section where it belongs! jk
Agreed 100%. Powerjokes went downhill after the passing of the 7.3L.

Maybe, but I guaranty you that all those cars your trailer rolled over at every turn DID notice!
I'm a safe driver
Old 05-17-2010, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6.0 silverado
Agreed 100%. Powerjokes went downhill after the passing of the 7.3L.

I'm a safe driver
IDK man. I have the powerjoke and never had an issue pulling anything or beating the **** out of helpless 3/4ton gm's =)

Believe half of what you read and all of what you see. The issues where in the 03-04's the 05-07's were pretty good trucks other than they drink diesel. The problem with the Gm truck is they are to light in the ***!
Old 05-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Deisels are really hard to judge based on manufacturers: every manufacturer had better or worse years reliability wise. Though the Duromax's were alot like the LSx engines: good to great stock, with easy moddability and the outstanding 6spd Allison transmissions that everyone else wishes they had.

I'll leave this argument to you guys, since all I know is what my brother tells me. Fill me in on the facts fellas! lol
Old 05-17-2010, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Deisels are really hard to judge based on manufacturers: every manufacturer had better or worse years reliability wise. Though the Duromax's were alot like the LSx engines: good to great stock, with easy moddability and the outstanding 6spd Allison transmissions that everyone else wishes they had.

I'll leave this argument to you guys, since all I know is what my brother tells me. Fill me in on the facts fellas! lol
You are right on par. When I was in the market for a heavy duti truck I looked at all 3 trucks. The Gm's had the better tranny, the Dodge had the better engines and the Ford looked better inside and out. One of my best friends had a 3/4 ton Z71 diesel truck and I have to admitt that I was impressed by the amount of power the truck had. No turbo lag and you couldn't even hear the diesel run. It actually felt like driving a gas powered truck. When I drove the Dodge it felt sluggesh and heavy as did the Ford. The Ford just felt like a better all around truck to me. So bottom line is the Ford made the best impression on me with the GM in a close second.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Launching!

IMO, i like the powertrain in the GM's but the fords ride incredibly well and are much more comfortable.. my neighbor owns a cummins CCLB, his dad owns a powerstroke CCLB, and a dually CCLD duramax. All 4wd.. i love the duramax for how quiet it is and how quick it is.. i LOVE the ford for the interior and the ride quality (even with an 8" lift and 37's), the dodge im not a huge fan of besides the classic cummins sound.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Launching!

i just did a trip with my family, 27' 7500lb trailer, pulled by my 07 f250 outlaw crewcab 4x4 bout 15k total, and i accidentally left my performance tune loaded in the beginning, till i left from one light with a little more throttle than usual, i can say, my acceleration is nothing like what was described my the OP. i thought i was going to ****** the frame out from under the trailer. and after doing a few runs, (grated this is with a dashhawk) i was cutting 1.81 60' . i can brake spool to 20+ psi in 4wd. i have always been a chevy man, but ford has been pulling me over recently.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by the jester 812
... i thought i was going to ****** the frame out from under the trailer. and after doing a few runs, (grated this is with a dashhawk) i was cutting 1.81 60' . i can brake spool to 20+ psi in 4wd. i have always been a chevy man, but ford has been pulling me over recently.
Modded comparing to stock doesnt count! And for what it's worth, I've read quite a few magazine articles on modding diesels (my brothers bathroom reading materials), and the Duromax's always seem to be up there 2 to 1 versus any other brand when it comes to drag strip shootouts or dyno shootouts. ie, out of top ten finishers it will be 5 Duromax's, maybe 3 Cummins, and 2 Powerstrokes. Only thing that so-called 'hurts' the Duromax trucks is when it comes to sled pulls and tug of war contests: The GM trucks are up too 1,200lbs lighter then the Ford's and Dodges, which puts them at a disadvantage in sled and tugofwar pulls. Not a problem during a drag race or towing race though!