Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Should this have happened?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should this have happened?

Well a buddy of mine just got a Automatic SS Camaro and he wanted to run. So I Ran him from a 40 roll. ( Wanted to use my M6 advantage) I pulled first he caught me then we were neck and neck. Then at 120 I pulled on him and shut down at 130. He wanted to run again but it being Memorial day weekend cops were everywhere. Should that really have just happened?
Me: 04 GTO M6
Him: 10 SS Camaro Auto
both cars 2 passengers, I think the GTO weighs less than the Camaro.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

If the Camaro isn't broken in yet, then sure.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:40 AM

It's probably not the norm, but definitely possible, especially if 40 mph is low in gear for him (probably 2nd). Good race!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, those A6 SS Camaro's are weirdly slow when stock. GM neutered them, so it's very beleiveable that a M6 LS1 GTO hung with him!@ You are stock, right?

And yes, the GTO is around 150-200 pounds lighter. Though I have a feeling with the 5.0 kicking camaro butt that GM will either drop weight or add hp. Though they might just simply give the 2011+ SS Camaro's a better tune and steeper gears/bigger tires and limp it along until they come out with the next generation of Camaro.

Oddly enough, with the 5.0 being faster I bet the insurance industry will heavily penalize the Mustang community for that power. Which might just be enough to swing some of the buyers over to the Camaro side. Think about that: Camaro and Mustang FINALLY fighting for sales leadership??? As of right now, the Camaro is ahead with over 100,000 sales for 2010. Bring it on Ford! lmao --- but I'll take whatever lead we can get.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:16 AM

Yes I am stock. Good thing I wasn't In a LS2 Goat It could of been nasty.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1FUNGTO
Yes I am stock. Good thing I wasn't In a LS2 Goat It could of been nasty.
Not really that big of an improvement with the LS2. Figure take what happened in that race, then put your car 2 carlengths ahead at the end. Thats about it. And, hell, that's probably just the gain that the hoodscoops give you.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Good run OP, I believe it. Stock L99 are running similar time as a LS1 goat, I give you advantage on a roll with M6.

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Honestly, those A6 SS Camaro's are weirdly slow when stock. GM neutered them, so it's very beleiveable that a M6 LS1 GTO hung with him!@ You are stock, right?

And yes, the GTO is around 150-200 pounds lighter. Though I have a feeling with the 5.0 kicking camaro butt that GM will either drop weight or add hp. Though they might just simply give the 2011+ SS Camaro's a better tune and steeper gears/bigger tires and limp it along until they come out with the next generation of Camaro.

Oddly enough, with the 5.0 being faster I bet the insurance industry will heavily penalize the Mustang community for that power. Which might just be enough to swing some of the buyers over to the Camaro side. Think about that: Camaro and Mustang FINALLY fighting for sales leadership??? As of right now, the Camaro is ahead with over 100,000 sales for 2010. Bring it on Ford! lmao --- but I'll take whatever lead we can get.
Since when the 5.0l is kicking Camaro butt? How come you make it a fact? They run pretty much the same time, unless if its an auto SS. Why are you bringing this stupid debate on this thread when the OP never mentionned anything about this hyped up 5.0l???

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Not really that big of an improvement with the LS2. Figure take what happened in that race, then put your car 2 carlengths ahead at the end. Thats about it. And, hell, that's probably just the gain that the hoodscoops give you.
Fastest stock LS2 goats run around 12,80s@109mph. Thats an improvement, and its faster than a L99 10' SS. Very close of the new 5.0l.

Huge improvement over the LS1 goat IMO. Youre modest because you own a LS2 goat I guess..

Last edited by Johnnystock; 05-31-2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:13 AM
Staging Lane

I'm modest because I've raced 5 LS1 GTO's (2 autos, 2 sticks, and 1 unsure). Did the stock verse stock, me cai/tune/catback versus LS1 cai/catback, and full bolton versus full bolton, and me full bolton versus a fully pederized, lowered, 295/40/18 shod catback/cai/tune LS1. I can say with full confidence that they are right around 2 car lengths slower in a 60-120 race.

How many LS1 GTO's have you raced in your LS2 GTO?

As far as the 5.0 Mustang thing: I was referring to a stock auto SS versus a 5.0 mustang. Guys have been getting too many horrible 1/4 mile times and street beatdowns in those L99 cars to think they will hang stock verse stock. The M6 SS "hopefully" is another story.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

The automatics are handicapped with a lower horsepower rating (stock) and desperately need a tune to wake them up.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Since when the 5.0l is kicking Camaro butt? How come you make it a fact? They run pretty much the same time, unless if its an auto SS. Why are you bringing this stupid debate on this thread when the OP never mentionned anything about this hyped up 5.0l???
Regardless of how you feel about it, why would such a thing even bother you?