Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock 93 trans am a4 vs srt4...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 93 trans am a4 vs srt4...

Two of my friends wanted to line up. The lt1 is stock to a white paper filter. 12k miles on it. Says gu5 so if I recall 3.23 rear in those, correct.

Srt4 has intake, full 3" catless turboback, boost controller(wouldn't say what he's running, but guessing under 15psi, no tune, minor suspension work and wheels/tires.

I'm assuming the srt4 is about to lay the wrath of god on a stock lt1. I was a bit wrong....

They line up from a stop. I hear the srt4 getting ready to launch. My buddy in the trans am was nervous and didn't try to stall his stock converter. He also for some reason had it in 1st instead of drive. Three honks and they take off the srt pulls slightly until my friend drops his car into 2 instead of drive. Now the srt4 puts more ground between them. My friend finally puts his car in drive and let's it do it's job. The pull slowly stops after about four car lengths or so and the lt1 scoots into what seems
to be it's powerband and looks like it wants to gain ground. At this point we are going about 120 and shut down. I'm rather upset at my friends driving.

Second race. I think to myself this stock fbody is sure to have him! They line up at 10mph my friend has it in 1st so it won't have to wait to downshift. Three honks and we are off. The srt has some wheelspin and the lt1 lurches a half a car ahead when my friend decided not to put it in drive, but into second by accident. The trans am shifts itself early into second and falls on it's face. The srt gains ground and then gets good two and a half cars by the top of second in the lt1, but the pulling nearly stopped. The lt1 rolls into 3rd and just a few feet are lost. I see the srt shift, and at this point the pull has stopped and I can nearly see the trans am inching back when they both shut down.

Cliffs: srt4 needs a tune. Trans am could use a converter and some long tubes, but needs a driver mod first. The srt hear what happened from my end(I'm in the firebird, his wife in his car). He claims victory and declines a race with me driving the lt1. I'm personnaly not a big fan of dropping the car in first from a roll, but it's fine if you know what you're doing. Afterwards, I spent 10 minutes teaching my buddy how to stall the stock converter and get a decent launch, and to not mess with the auto tranny from a roll. He's doing way better now and I'm looking forward to the rematch. I'll try to get a video of it.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

Excuse any little gramatical errors, please. I'm on my phone. :p
Old 06-21-2010, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

A 93 with 12k miles!!!???
Old 06-21-2010, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

Yes sir. Tan leather and a built in sub in the back left. His car before this was a 4 cylinder Mazda 6. He's getting used to having torque
Old 06-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothin more painful to watch than a friend lose a race due to driver error. And to do it repeatedly! Glad you stuck around and showed him how to do it properly! Good postup BTW: probably the best cell phone typed thread I've seen on here. Your fingers must be hurting after that.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:08 AM
10 Second Club

Seems like you should have taken the wheel to save the GM guys some embarrassment. I mean how hard is it to drive a stock auto LT1? A stock SRT4 is a high 13 second low 14 second car depending on the driver, and so is an auto LT1 TA should be no suprises in that race other than your friend drives like a tool.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:56 AM
Staging Lane

I offered to put up $50 if he could beat me while I'm driving the lt1. He turned me down. My trans am has tore him a new butt hole from about every possible speed and gear. So has the sti. His srt4 needs a tune bad.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

My brother's stock 93 Trans Am A4 went 14.0 at 99 even though he had to let off at the top of first to get it to shift. Would have went 13s easily if it shifted on its own. This is definitely believable based on how my friends SRT-4 ran here with similar mods. On the same track as the 14.0 in the TA, my friends SRT went 14.5 at 97. Our track here isn't very fast though.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not a huge srt fan unless it ends in 10, but I knew they are known into break 13s stock. Basic mods to the little turbo motor do wonders, just like my sti. The full bolt on ones I see run are in fact quite fast. My buddies seems to be a bit on the sluggish side, and I believe it's the tune. I'd hate to see him run a stock ls1 for sure... I went from a 35 roll with him in my sti in 3rd and even put a hurting on him, turning it down to stock boost. A girl here has a full bolt on with a larger front mount running about 19 psi and it pulls quite well in comparison. Too bad for her she ran me from a dig. There will be a rematch though for them...

Quick Reply: Stock 93 trans am a4 vs srt4...