Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

98 M6 Z28 VS Evo VIII/IX(?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 98 M6 Z28 VS Evo VIII/IX(?)

My car's all stock other than Borla Catback that came on it, lower control arms, blistein shocks/eibach springs, scca global panhard, z06 clutch.

Evo was pretty much like my car from what I could tell, sounded like just an exhaust, stock bov and everything as best I can tell, not really quiet, but not loud.

Going down the road heading home, I'm driving and an evo gets behind me, as I make a right turn on a main street he's staying right on my ***, so I floor it in first, and he stays on me, and then just starts flying way back while I stay on it. I'm guessing he either missed the shift, or stopped trying waiting to line up for a normal roll.

So then we both turn right again and he slows down and wants to go again. I tell him we can't cause bike cops like to sit at the end of the road right there and he says freeway.

So we head there, I'm in a horrible spot speed wise. I was at about 5000 rpm in 1st gear trying to get him to go slower or possibly speed up to be in a good spot in 2nd, so I figure it's just a race, honk 3 times and we go, I figure either car is gonna be able to pull harder than the other no matter what and was proven right afterwards cause even if I had been in the sweet spot, he would've just started pulling up top again after I hung with him a lil longer.

I stay with him a little bit as he pulls about half a car, I shift, and then he just keeps pulling. Higher the speed we got, the more lengths he pulled. I would say by the end he was about 4-5 car lengths ahead.

Get back up to him, and he gives me a thumbs up, I return it and head off the freeway to head back home where the whole thing began.

I had a 160lb passenger, that's it. He was alone. Was a nice black evo. And I guess it wasn't too bad considering my car has 151k miles. Also gives me even more reason to justify the lid that's on its way here, and the nitrous I bought. But I'm gonna have the engine rebuilt before the nitrous is put on mainly out of paranoia. I got it because it was a great deal and to keep miles off my c6 and gt, plus I've wanted another fbody for a while.

Tl;Dr Evo 8 or Evo 9(not sure on the differences, and his car being black made it too hard for me to tell) pulled a good amount of lengths, good car to lose to.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like it had more done than you suspect if it pulled 5 cars on you up top.

Nice death.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
It sounds like it had more done than you suspect if it pulled 5 cars on you up top.

Nice death.
I would like to think the guy probably had a boost controller in it and turned up the boost a bit, but I'm not one to just go and start assuming things. The way I see it, I got beat by a nearly stock Evo, and any speculation I can do about it will stay as just that.

Unless I get a chance to find out what the person has done to their car, I would rather think they've got less mods than they do because then after the mods are done to mine, and I do happen to race a similar car, I will know just about how I should do.

Would rather be happily surprised that I won, than wondering how the hell I lost by overestimating everyone else cars in comparison to mine.

Like 2 years ago, I had a quick race with a nice R32 VW in my C6 that just had an axle back exhaust. Pulled over at a gas station talked to him and found it was a stage 2. I asked him if that was just more boost or what and he told me everything that was done. With the way he fell back, I would've just assumed it was near stock with some more boost if I hadn't talked to him about it. That's also what made me get the Procharger for my car. Get great gas mileage, and pulls hard all throughout now. Had an NSX try to do a fly by once on the freeway, and I shut him down bad.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a roll like you described you should have walked away by at least a couple cars if he was near stock power. Good death either way: run what ya brung. And he brought a gun to your knife fight.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:01 AM
Teching In

Turboback exhaust, and probally a boost controller. Could you hear it idle? Cams wake evos right up.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RocketZ06
Turboback exhaust, and probally a boost controller. Could you hear it idle? Cams wake evos right up.
I've heard that mentioned ALOT. But no one ever says that about WRX's. ?? WRX's already come with good cams then? That why the Evo's have such high boost from the factory- compensating for less N/A power of the engine?
Old 07-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Teching In

I don't know crap about either car. I'm going off what my buddy at rallysportdirect told me. He said the biggest gain on his stock turbo evo 9 was the cams.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Cams on any DSM or EVO are relatively easy to swap and result in good power whether you're stock or running a significantly larger turbo.

All I know about the WRX and STi cams is that there are four of them. I'm not too keen on the Subbie after-market.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

He had more done than you think. I raced an Evo 8 with just an exhaust in my shelby which I'm sure is a bit slower than an LS1 camaro. Raced 3 times off the line and I beat him every time by about a car.

Back when I had my 2000 Firehawk, I raced an Evo 8 as well....mostly stock I'm assuming, and all I had was an exhaust on my car. I had him by at least 3 cars, so the one you raced had more work done than you think.

Anyways, good death, and next time maybe you can surprise him!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive had both, I had a mildly modded evo 8 and my stock camaro was faster, but a tuned 9 would produce about the same result as you had. Also Evo's dont run good with atmospheric BOV's so he prolly had an aftermarket one that just recirculated. I would guess the car made around 380 wheel, in any case with awd and instant boost would outrun even a bolt on f-body.

Good Death.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

You know you can just delete your second post, right?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
You know you can just delete your second post, right?
do now
Old 07-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Launching!

It wasn't cammed, I know that at least.

Just a boost controller does wonders for turbo cars, and if you've got anything like an Evo or STi, then there's pretty much no reason to not get one because the price for power you get is great.

Personally, I'm thinking he just had more boost, catback, and maybe other minor ****. I bought a Z32 TT two years ago, all I did was turn up the boost a bit and the thing ran great, a little lag, but was quick and faster than my mustang up top, and about equal on launch. Obviously didn't just think I could turn up the boost and hope the engine stays together, but just a tad bit more.

But since I didn't get a chance to talk to him, I'm going by from what I could see/hear which was just exhaust and the bov like I mentioned above. Obviously it wasn't stock, but I'm not trying to go and start assuming he had more boost,cams,intake,exhaust,etc just cause I lost with only a catback. I would rather overestimate than underestimate.

Car's nearly stock with 151k miles on it, so I'm happy it performs well at that mileage and with the nitrous, lid, and gears I'm getting it should perform far better. Suspension is already good to go, transmission and rearend are new(previous owner babied the car to the extreme and had to get rid of it cause he got a c5). It's a nice in between because I get people wanting to play around all the time in this car and most of the time win, except for a supra, and this evo.(Mostly mustangs and earlier gen f bodys) But if I'm driving my C6, I've had Porsche 911s getting behind me on empty 3 lane roads at a redlight because I guess they just assume it's faster or something. ****, last race I had in the C6 was against an old Chevelle over a year ago. I even saw a gallardo I thought I would lose to but figured it couldn't hurt, and the guy took off down another road once I got beside him finally. I'm thinking of taking the boost gauge and wideband out because I'm thinking those two make people think the car is just fully blown front to back modified.

And then in my Mustang I'm always getting guys revving their engines at me.

So pretty much I'm just glad that this car gets more action in the 2 months I've had it, than two of my other cars have had in the last year or more as best I can remember.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
I've heard that mentioned ALOT. But no one ever says that about WRX's. ?? WRX's already come with good cams then? That why the Evo's have such high boost from the factory- compensating for less N/A power of the engine?
It's a pain in the *** just to change the spark plugs in a WRX. I couldn't imagine changing cams, you'd probably have to drop the motor.

The reason you hear about them in Evo's is because they are so simple to swap. I've done cams in 2hrs and cams and valve springs in under 4hrs start to finish.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
It's a pain in the *** just to change the spark plugs in a WRX. I couldn't imagine changing cams, you'd probably have to drop the motor.

The reason you hear about them in Evo's is because they are so simple to swap. I've done cams in 2hrs and cams and valve springs in under 4hrs start to finish.
I could change plugs in my wrx in about 20 min, but then again I did it so many times I had it to a science. Cams on the other hand, yea it will take all day about like putting a clutch in one. You have to either jack one side of the motor up at a time or take the whole thing out, for most ppl it isn't woth the trouble as the stock cams flow just fine until you get a higher displacement motor.

But enough of the off topic discussion. OP yea, hide the boost gauge and wideband in the c6 lol, I would mess with you if it looked stock.