Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Met some winners last night!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Met some winners last night!

Just when you think you've seen it all.. Theres always gotta be those few people that have to prove you wrong.

I was getting something to eat with a good friend of mine last night. On our way out, we see a kid with a firebird, a "turbo teggy", and a slowbalt LS all parked next to eachother.

I have my SS and they parked out on the other side of them facing my car. As I'm about to get into my car, I look on the side of the firebird and saw the "FORMULA" badge on it and asked the kid if it were an auto or 6 speed.. Kid says it was a standard. I'm assuming a 6 speed at this point. I asked if it had anything done to it and the kid said he had a small shot of nitrous. I told him I was also going to have a bottle in mine real soon. I asked how much he was spraying and he tells me a 50 shot... Very small shot, but I figured he just wanted to be real conservative. Right?

I asked him to open the hood to check it out. 3.8 V6 . I swear to god I think this kid went to autozone, pepboys, and advanced auto and bought their entire wire loom inventory and put it under his hood. COVERING EVERYTHING.. I gave the kid a funny look and said "I thought this was a Formula man". He replied.. Well, it is. Its a clone.

"What about this car is a clone? A Formula is basically a firebird with a V8.. All you did was buy badges and WS6 wheels".

He said "I bet I can take your Camaro man.. I'm prob. making more power on nitrous"..

So a V6 firebird with exhaust and a 50 shot is now going to beat me.

I explained to him that he's lucky if he puts down 230rwhp... And mine is making about 100rwhp more. But the kid doesnt know anything about powerloss so he schooled me and said 200hp (factory engine power rating) + 50 shot + 15hp for exhaust + 20hp for a "chip" + 10hp for CAI... Which equals 295hp and is right where the LT1 is at.

Makes sense.. Since he now has 295hp and my SS magically converted itself to a LT1 while I was eating.

I scratch my head and look at my friend... Basically thinking this kid cant be serious right now.

He asks me to open my hood.. So I figured what the hell.. Why not? Lets see what else this kid can teach me. I open the hood and the kid tells me I need to get a chip for it. .. And then the cell phone lights come out. I've never seen a kid more interested in a stock alternator in my entire life. "turbo teggy" was facinated by it. Slowbalt owner kept looking at my headers, and "formula" liked that my MSD wires matched the color of my car. ****ing great.

But hang on guys.. Turbo teggy then asked why I havent bought a supercharger for it yet... Since theyre on ebay for less than 100. I said I had a leaf blower sitting in my garage at home that was waiting for install. They didnt get it... And asked why I wanted to install a leaf blower in my car.. Since only an idiot would do that.

I told them I had to go, but that I was glad to meet them. I closed my hood and backed out to leave. "Formula" closes his too and follows me out with jackass 2 and 3 behind him.

Formula does a fly-by and Teggy and slowbalt follow chase. I just shake my head and was speechless. Up the road, we catch a light. Nobody's around and the roads were open. I'm in the middle lane, Formula's to the right, teggy's to the left, and the slowbalt is behind "formula".

Light turns green and I peddle it.. Then floor it. I get to the middle of third then let off, leaving them in my rearview. Formula meets me at the next light and said he ran out of nitrous.

Light turns green again and I let them all race eachother and I stay back, eventually making a U turn and finding another way home.

What a great night.. Not too often you can see a V6 Formula, budget built teggy, and a cobalt with more gauges than you know what to do with.

Just when you think you've seen it all.. You're wrong. Theres always someone out there that will prove it.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Haha great story...so was the Integra actually turbo?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
Haha great story...so was the Integra actually turbo?
No, he had a electric supercharger. I just called him turbo teggy. lol. Since he wasnt "n/a" anymore.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

electric supercharger? you sure he didnt use his moms hair dryer? LMAO. great story btw.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with them, Why havent you jumped on that $100 ebay supercharger yet? Its a great deal.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:02 PM

I always hated when people tell me to get a chip.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Teching In

LOL Funny story, this reminds me of when a guy in a new shelby gt told me i need to get a tune in my car because it adds 40 horsepower to the wheels, even though i think he messed his car up with his handheld tune because when i raced him he lost by bus lengths.lol
Old 07-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 20GTSTANG08
LOL Funny story, this reminds me of when a guy in a new shelby gt told me i need to get a tune in my car because it adds 40 horsepower to the wheels, even though i think he messed his car up with his handheld tune because when i raced him he lost by bus lengths.lol
Nightmare??!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From an English major, what a well-written and awesome story. Kudos.

What a buffoon.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

lmfao. that was some funny **** right there.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:26 AM
Teching In

That was a fun read... Thanks.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:56 AM
Staging Lane

haha that was a great story, lmao. some people just do not get it.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sad part is I know some people that are probably almost as bad
Old 07-16-2010, 05:49 AM
TECH Regular

man ive never had the pleasure to meet people like that. and has anyone ever really done independent test on those "superchargers"?? in the name of sience.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:57 AM
Staging Lane

great kill story! haha
Old 07-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Launching!

That story really takes me back man...

About 5 yeaRS AGO i MET THIS GUY AT THE DRAG STRIP THAT HAD AN INTEGRA WITH ALKL THE BOLT ONS AND HE WAS RUNNING 14.9'S AT 94 MPH...

Sorry about the caps...

Anyways we went to the strip together a lot...At the time I was rolling a 2004 vette..

Well he bought one of those turbo things made of plastic off the internet and no bullshit when he turned that thing on via a lil power switch in his dash he would run consistent 14.6's at 97 mph..

with it off he was back to his 14,9's at 94 mph..

Considering that a real supercharger is atleaste 1500 plus install and you may only gain 7-9 mph and maybe a second lost in the 1/4 mile...

I was pretty impressed....

I mean when it really comes down to it compressed air is just that and your engine dosent care were it comes from...Your only talking about 1-1.5 pounds of boost but it is what it is
Old 07-16-2010, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

****** chip......lol
Old 07-16-2010, 07:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by snake95
Nightmare??!
You mean a tune WON'T add 40 WHP??? WTF! I've been scammed!

A guy with that kind of knowledge shouldn't be allowed to own a Shelby GT....although I think I'm the only one in my area under 45 that has one haha.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Killemall
Well he bought one of those turbo things made of plastic off the internet and no bullshit when he turned that thing on via a lil power switch in his dash he would run consistent 14.6's at 97 mph..

with it off he was back to his 14,9's at 94 mph..
haha that's interesting...
Old 07-16-2010, 03:41 PM
yfz
Teching In

He forgot to mention his forumla badge adds 50 hp. So, if he had not ran out of nitrous this probably would have been a close race.