Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

G8 vs heads/cam 5.0 and bolt-on350Z **VIDS**

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default G8 vs heads/cam 5.0 and bolt-on350Z **VIDS**

Nightmare and I were out with a few friends last night (see our races in the other thread with the G8 and Shelby GT). One of my other friends showed up with a couple buddies, including this Mustang:

I was in my 2009 G8, which is bone stock and has run 13.52 @ 102.9 mph:

The guy with the Mustang was real cool, and had no problem telling us what was done to it, etc. I noticed that the Mustang had a totally gutted interior and when I mentioned that to him he said he had just been to the track. I asked what he ran and he said 13.1 @ 101 mph. I asked if he wanted to run the G8 and he said that he had just installed Trickflow heads earlier that night and that he would smoke the G8 now. I asked if he would do a dig run and he said his Nittos (drag radials) just spin and he would have to go home and put his MT's on do to that. As he didn't seem interested I gave up.

A bit later, my brother asked if I was going to race the Mustang and I told him what had happened. He said he'd go try to set it up. He asked the guy when he was racing me and the guy again said he thought he would beat me. My brother told him that I didn't care if I got smoked and the kid said, "Ok, that's good," and then agreed to race me. We agreed on a 40 mph start.

I talked to him after and the full mods list as I got it was Trickflow Twisted Wedge heads, Lunati cam, shorty headers, exhaust, 3.55 gears, other various bolt-ons, gutted interior (not even a passenger seat or carpet), UNTUNED, and the car was a 5-speed. He really got the heads finished up that night and told me after that he was on his test drive when he ran into us, haha.

Here is the race, we went from 40 mph to about 110 mph. The honks got cut off, so the race just starts (sorry for the poor quality night vids).

YouTube- G8 vs heads/cam 5.0 GT

The guy was very cool after and said it was a great race and my car hauls ***. I'm going to try and rematch him once he gets it tuned so that we can really see what it's capable of as this setup was obviously not in peak form without a tune. Very fun, friendly race, that went down smoothly and ended up being a damn close run.

While we were talking this pulled in:

My brother asked me if I wanted him to set it up and I said to go for it. They were game because they always heard the G8's were fast. He said the car was a full bolt-on 2003 and he just got it. After looking it over it looked like it still had the stock manifolds, so it was a case where the kid wasn't getting what he thought he was. I didn't tell him that as I always feel bas telling people they got hosed.

He asked for a 60 roll and we ended up starting at 55 mph. I was in second and I found out after the race that he was in 3rd gear. Here's the video (again, the honks were cut off and the race just starts):

YouTube- G8 vs bolt-on 350Z

After we pulled in to a parking lot he told me great race. I talked to him a bit and he said he can't shift from 2nd to 3rd fast because his trans is shot, so he always starts in 3rd and was only at 3000 rpm. He asked if I wanted another run so I told him sure. We didn't get it on video, but we started from 65 mph, both in 3rd gear. He told me that he revved it up and dumped the clutch off the hit and it seemed to work well because he jumped out a solid car on me at the start of the race. As we cranked out, I started reeling him back in and ended up beating him by about 1.5 cars by 115 mph, where we let off.

Once again, we gave each other props on a great race and everyone went home happy.

I did have the Z28 out also, but never got a chance to run anything. I ended up having alot more fun in the G8, haha.

Here's the initial group that came out last night:

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 07-23-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Def a good time! We had a much better turnout than I expected. I was thinking the only race would be me and you. And thats funny that the 350Z had stock manifolds, because I asked the kid too what was done to it and he said headers, exhaust and intake. I never even got to check out under the hood though.

I'd love to race that foxbody before his tune but oh well. Seemed like a nice kid. I'm sure well run into him again. I'll have to check out the vids on my home computer and see how they came out, since my work computer is a **** and won't play any videos.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:08 AM

Definitely a great time! I felt bad for the kid with the 350Z because he really didn't know what he had. he had a great attitude though and seemed to have fun, so that's all that matters.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Good runs guys! I cant believe I missed all that because I was stuck swapping brakes on the Regal! I woulda loved to see those guys reaction to my car lol Next time I`m definately gonna be there.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Definitely a great time! I felt bad for the kid with the 350Z because he really didn't know what he had. he had a great attitude though and seemed to have fun, so that's all that matters.
I ran a bolt on 2003 350Z for laughs, it made 245whp with just the basics, i think he said 103mph in the 1/4.

That beat up Z doesn't look like it would trap 100, and they do that stock.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Teching In

nice runs. ever run one of those sti's are they still on stock turbos?
Old 07-23-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Beans
I ran a bolt on 2003 350Z for laughs, it made 245whp with just the basics, i think he said 103mph in the 1/4.

That beat up Z doesn't look like it would trap 100, and they do that stock.
Yeah, my friend had a 2003 with CAI, catback, high flow cats, and headers, and he dynoed 245/238, but we didn't realize at the time that 5th gear is 1:1 in those, so he probably would be in the 255/248 range in the right gear.

This one definitely needed some work, and looked to be high mileage by the way the interior looked. The guy was having a blast with it, so that's all that matters.

Originally Posted by slowc6
nice runs. ever run one of those sti's are they still on stock turbos?
The blue one is a regular WRX with a few mods. The STI is mildly modded and has put a hurting on the WRX a few times. I'd like to line up with the STI. I figure he'll beat me, but I bet it's a decent race.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks like you guys had a good time
Old 07-23-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lame! Those are slow cars!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:09 AM

Haha, you're just mad because we're out there having all that fun with our slow cars and you're stuck riding that supa-fast bike
Old 07-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Nice! I didnt think you'd pull the 350Z quite so easily but i guess that things probably been beat to hell so its not in the greatest of shapes. Good runs on both cars.

On a side note, whats the deal with the Supra? They can be anywhere from 13's to hanging/beating PSM's bike.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kilgothephenom
Nice! I didnt think you'd pull the 350Z quite so easily but i guess that things probably been beat to hell so its not in the greatest of shapes. Good runs on both cars.

On a side note, whats the deal with the Supra? They can be anywhere from 13's to hanging/beating PSM's bike.
That supra moves out. Correct me if I'm wrong SRZ, but I think he's got a 72mm turbo and is making around 650 whp I believe. Bad *** car!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Nice kills man. Any plans for the g8?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice vids.

Maybe think about compiling them into a bigger race vid like mine and others. Quick tips: You have to train your camera people. No ****, we did but it worked. Basics include avoiding plates, faces, street signs, but also having the camera set back a bit in the car so as not to get the wind noise. Also start recording early and end late. Dont worry about getting stuff in there you dont want, you can always edit them down. Its nice to have vids not just abruptly end and gives time to list mods on screen before the race starts. Everyone has Windows Movie Maker and while its not the greatest its plenty doable. ALL of my vids were made with movie maker. Look for a night vision HDD cam as well if your going to upgrade. All my night stuff is done in night vision which brings a little more light to things and also automatically blurs the plates most of the time.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by kilgothephenom

I wish we had gotten the second vrace with the 350Z because he did much better. That run in the video was me at about 4800 in second and him at 3000 in third, so it wasn't really a fair start.

Didn't take long for the "hey, is that a Supra?" stuff to start It's my friend's car and has a 70 something mm turbo in it (72 or 76 or something, I don't really pay much attention to the details) and he usually drives around at 575 rwhp. It can be cranked up on pump gas to 645 with the boost controller and the meth kit he has on it. It's a very clean car, but is the typical high hp car that runs a non-sticky tire and blows sideways at 40 mph, lol. I will say that it looks cool as it wiggles up for road from a rolling punch. Next up on his list is ditching the 19" wheels and going with 18's so he can get a real tire on it.

Originally Posted by RocketZ06
Nice kills man. Any plans for the g8?
I was going to do a cold air, exhaust, 75 shot, and tune this year, but I've decided that I'm sick of being in debt and I'm going to pay it off before the mods start. I also have to decide what I'm going to do about tires. I love my factory 19's, but they are useless since there isn't a drag radial for them. It will be modded though once I own it

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 07-23-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by CoolAid
Nice vids.

Maybe think about compiling them into a bigger race vid like mine and others. Quick tips: You have to train your camera people. No ****, we did but it worked. Basics include avoiding plates, faces, street signs, but also having the camera set back a bit in the car so as not to get the wind noise. Also start recording early and end late. Dont worry about getting stuff in there you dont want, you can always edit them down. Its nice to have vids not just abruptly end and gives time to list mods on screen before the race starts. Everyone has Windows Movie Maker and while its not the greatest its plenty doable. ALL of my vids were made with movie maker. Look for a night vision HDD cam as well if your going to upgrade. All my night stuff is done in night vision which brings a little more light to things and also automatically blurs the plates most of the time.
Yeah, that was my brother's first time using my camera and he's usually driving in videos, not filming so it was a learning experience for him. PSM and I let him know about filming more rather than less and keeping the camera inside the car. PSM is the one that's going to have to compile any kind of longer film, as I am clueless with that stuff. Rather have crappy vids than no vids though
Old 07-23-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
That supra moves out. Correct me if I'm wrong SRZ, but I think he's got a 72mm turbo and is making around 650 whp I believe. Bad *** car!
Yea single turbo 94 supra
74mm running ~21 psi
yes, 650whp sounds about right but thats only 1 of 4 tunes he has lol

PS: that mustang video kinda stunk lol, but im impressed.

Last edited by sujomatt; 07-23-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, that was my brother's first time using my camera and he's usually driving in videos, not filming so it was a learning experience for him. PSM and I let him know about filming more rather than less and keeping the camera inside the car. PSM is the one that's going to have to compile any kind of longer film, as I am clueless with that stuff. Rather have crappy vids than no vids though
If you can get me or send me the vid clips somehow, I am working on another ECRR racing compilation. I might be able to just download them off youtube as well. I'm pretty savy with windows movie maker too and I want to get a bunch of races in one movie. Gets boring seeing my bro's GT and my car race after race!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by sujomatt
Yea single turbo 94 supra
74mm running ~21 psi
yes, 650whp sounds about right but thats only 1 of 4 tunes he has lol

PS: that mustang video kinda stunk lol, but im impressed.
I knew someone would have the correct info, haha. Yeah, the video wasn't the best, but we'll try to get it done in the daytime next time out.

How's your project coming along?

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
If you can get me or send me the vid clips somehow, I am working on another ECRR racing compilation. I might be able to just download them off youtube as well. I'm pretty savy with windows movie maker too and I want to get a bunch of races in one movie. Gets boring seeing my bro's GT and my car race after race!
If you can't grab them off youtube, I'll try to get them to you.

I hear you on you vs your brother all the time. That's was happened with PSM and myself for the longest time, just my Z28 vs his over and over, haha.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

I knew someone would have the correct info, haha. Yeah, the video wasn't the best, but we'll try to get it done in the daytime next time out.
Something is going on with my stupid *** injectors or fuel pump - im going straight there again after work today to finally get this thing running in top form.

Wish me luck!