Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Silverado vs 99Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Silverado vs 99Z

Last night me and a buddy were cruising around town and I seen a 00-06 short bed, pewter Silverado with a roll pan, texas plates and a black tail gate with some kind of mini spoiler and I believe he had 18 or 19in black rims. He was behind me and then came flying by in the left lane and all I could think of was damn, that thing sounds mean........ and then we got a chance about a mile down the road to get a roll race 15mph to 70mph. Started off at 15mph 1st gear (I was in first at least not sure about him) and we both took off like bullets, nose to nose. I grabbed 2nd at about 5700rpms and broke the tires loose again...he shifter the same moment as me, I heard his truck break loose for a second and then two gm exhaust tunes become in sync and continue to race neck and neck. It was beautiful. Once we were getting up to 70 is when I started getting ahead by a fender but Im not sure if I was pulling of if he was letting out, After all we were doing 70 in a 30.

I wouldn't call it a kill but more like a friendly tie. My buddy tried talking to him at a couple stop lights but he couldn't really hear much over the exhaust from each vehicle. It sounded like he had said it had a modded LQ4 but I honestly have no idea. I know for sure it had exhaust and there was a triple gauge pod on the window frame, which made me nervous before we got a roll race cause I figured it was boosted and he would walk my *** but I was wrong. It was just a very close tie haha.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without boost or nitrous is it possible to get a silverado as fast as a LS1, even if its stock? Thats impressive. I know there is alot of fast trucks. Just odd seeing a NA one that can hang.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Thats what I was thinking. If it was boosted, I never heard a turbo whining. He may have had more done to the motor, like I said my buddy couldn't really hear what the guy was saying he had done. I forgot to add that the truck was also lowered. I was looking on performance trucks sister site and didn't see anything that looked like the guys truck. I kinda wonder if he had and ls1 dropped in it....
Old 08-07-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the engine that comes in them is a good one. The heads and rotating assemble are good and stout. But the lower compresion and mild cam from the factory makes them mostly slow compared to a fbod. Gonna do some lookin to see what is needed to make them fast.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99SS-T
Well the engine that comes in them is a good one. The heads and rotating assemble are good and stout. But the lower compresion and mild cam from the factory makes them mostly slow compared to a fbod. Gonna do some lookin to see what is needed to make them fast.
Hmmm, sounds like your on to something. I know it wasn't cammed unless it was a small one with hardly any lump. I wouldn't mind owning a little truck like his, it was pretty sick. I was gonna take a pic of the truck incase the owner was a member here or someone knew him but he was gone by the time I got around traffic.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Slightly modded 6.0 in a reg cab truck would be about even to you with your mods. They come with a 4.8 or 5.3.