Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LT1 Z28 vs 1987 K20- who would win?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 12:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Z28 vs 1987 K20- who would win?

1995 Camaro Z28- headers/flowmasters only (A4) or a 1987 Chevy K20 on 35s with 4.10 gears. . .
ooooooh the motor? 496ci pushing roughly 530hp and 600ft-lbs at the crank see below

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...92589318MnzGzo

Last edited by Bowtiered; 01-26-2004 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

oops, quartermile, and from 30-70. truck is an A4 as well, with 700r4 (4l60e)
Old 01-26-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Please could you make the pic a little bigger??? I am going blind and couldn't see it.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:15 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtiered
1995 Camaro Z28- headers/flowmasters only (A4) or a 1987 Chevy K20 on 35s with 4.10 gears. . .
ooooooh the motor? 496ci pushing roughly 530hp and 600ft-lbs at the crank
Is this power just an estimate, or has it actually been dyno'd? That truck weighs probably 2xlbs more than the Z28 and is running those taller tires, which make those 4.10's not as amazing. Sure, it might have a little quick jaunt, but it'll peeter out before you know it, no matter what the red says.

Those top truck challenge guys have quite a bit of power, but none of them are quick - at all.

Keep the truck on the trail and off the track.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:37 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just race him and don't ask silly questions. Makes us LS1 guys look bad. WIn or loose, its better than asking stupid questions. Don't need advice to race someone, just go race him!!!!!!!!!!!

If your worried about possibly loosing, sell your LS1 and get a Honda and put stickers on it...

SOrry, but these "WHo would win" posts are ******* stupid and reek of "ricer mentality"...

Just race, and post results...dont worry so much about loosing!
Old 01-26-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh let him have his fun. Talking about racing is fun and oft times we LRN interesting info by talking and hashing ideas. Think if men never talked, we would be racing on foot.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Is this power just an estimate, or has it actually been dyno'd? That truck weighs probably 2xlbs more than the Z28 and is running those taller tires, which make those 4.10's not as amazing. Sure, it might have a little quick jaunt, but it'll peeter out before you know it, no matter what the red says.

Those top truck challenge guys have quite a bit of power, but none of them are quick - at all.

Keep the truck on the trail and off the track.
Not exactly man. They had cars running low 12's on 44" swampers with 700hp in their accel test. It's shorter than a 1/4 mile but they said it was damn close. That same car would probably be in the 13's. I personally had a 72 blazer with a 454 and 42" swampers that could hold it's own against an lt1 and could launch harder than anything due to having a locker in the rear. If he only has 35" tires then you are probably going to get smoked.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

It should depend on his setup, his truck could be fast but if he has a shitty convertor it won't be able to put the power to the ground, and with 4.10's on a 496, unless he gets a good launch he will be spin city if he gets on the gas, senn it many times here in Jacksonville, friend has a 496, in a k30 and can't hook for ****, but before that he had the stock torque convertor and wasn't putting any horsepower to the ground, I beat him in my old s-10 blazer....you shouldn't have any worries.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'm not racing. i am a friend of the owner of the truck with the 496. i am trying to give him advice on whether he should bet or not. i'm going to say yes. the numbers are taken as 50hp/tq less than what desktop dyno gave us. desktop dyno said 582hp/648ftlbs. you cannot input something things into DD, like roller rockers, so it could be even more. machine shop told him around 600hp, so who knows, i like to take the lowest numbers. i know that 4.10s aren't much with 35s, i am a truck guy (see sig) and i know that he's going to outlaunch the lt1 because of a detroit rear and 4x4. anyway, thanks guys.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:28 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Mistacamawo
Not exactly man. They had cars running low 12's on 44" swampers with 700hp in their accel test. It's shorter than a 1/4 mile but they said it was damn close. That same car would probably be in the 13's. I personally had a 72 blazer with a 454 and 42" swampers that could hold it's own against an lt1 and could launch harder than anything due to having a locker in the rear. If he only has 35" tires then you are probably going to get smoked.
Eh... I just have it out for people with trucks like this who insist on racing cars. I'm so used to these filth bags with their "built 350 with a three-quarter cam, punched out, 600hp cause the shop said so". Can't forget the nasty dual glasspacks either.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

You must not understand the ease with which you can obtain SICK amounts of horsepower from a BBC. ESPECIALLY A CARBED ONE. Don't go saying this engine doesn't got power. . . . i'm sick of people like you who think because my truck doesn't look nice it can't have a nice motor and be done right. i got news, my motor is newer than yours, and has more warranty left on it than yours. it's making close to the same power, WAY more torque and only cost me 1300. . . BRAND NEW. dual glasspacks? i don't like packs, but some do. i have open headers now, but am just saving for my exhaust, 2½" exhaust into dual flows. as far as this 496, it's not what you describe. if you you must know, i can post the specs and let ya'll run it through DD as well

again, go visit CK5 and you'll find many members with engine built WAY more than yours. . . which is stock. . . and more than most people's here. i love cars, i love trucks lifted or lowered, i like horsepower, carbed or injected. you seem to like your car, and your engine. well, there are plenty of trucks out there that could handle your car, and more that couldn't. but don't go raggin on a truck because you don't like one or two guys with a POS motor and a POS truck.

(btw, i like your car, and have nothing again you, not try to start anything, but i don't like it when people rag on all lifted trucks)
Old 01-27-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like you got a cool truck. I think you and Bronc should race and video it.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:53 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Bowtiered
You must not understand the ease with which you can obtain SICK amounts of horsepower from a BBC. ESPECIALLY A CARBED ONE. Don't go saying this engine doesn't got power. . . . i'm sick of people like you who think because my truck doesn't look nice it can't have a nice motor and be done right. i got news, my motor is newer than yours, and has more warranty left on it than yours. it's making close to the same power, WAY more torque and only cost me 1300. . . BRAND NEW. dual glasspacks? i don't like packs, but some do. i have open headers now, but am just saving for my exhaust, 2½" exhaust into dual flows. as far as this 496, it's not what you describe. if you you must know, i can post the specs and let ya'll run it through DD as well

again, go visit CK5 and you'll find many members with engine built WAY more than yours. . . which is stock. . . and more than most people's here. i love cars, i love trucks lifted or lowered, i like horsepower, carbed or injected. you seem to like your car, and your engine. well, there are plenty of trucks out there that could handle your car, and more that couldn't. but don't go raggin on a truck because you don't like one or two guys with a POS motor and a POS truck.

(btw, i like your car, and have nothing again you, not try to start anything, but i don't like it when people rag on all lifted trucks)
Chill out man, it's cool. I never meant anything personal. I know my car is more or less stock. I know it's not the fastest thing out there. I know there are quick lifted trucks. I'm just going with the experience from my area. I live in a college town that's right next to a bunch of filthy hick towns. I've seen it all, especially since I work at a parts store. It's my racism of vehicles I suppose.

In all honesty, I want a K5 REALLY bad. I've always thought it'd be cool to throw tuned port on in and junk that TBI. I don't know if that's the best way to go or not, but I dont care. I don't want that truck to race people. I want it for the snow and the mud. That's what I think it should be for. Leave the racing for the Lightnings.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

a race between me and him would be fun, let me get my heads and Tires, and it is on. Lookin for a good set of AFR's or Twisted Wedge, and then i am using thornbirds. prolly stay in the 35 inch area. Got nitrous????? HAHAHAHAH
Old 01-27-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't forget the SRT10 Rams!!!
Old 01-27-2004, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ill race anybody in my truck ................................to the 60 ft mark...........
Old 01-27-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

I'll race any of you in my Probe, LOL.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigBronco
a race between me and him would be fun, let me get my heads and Tires, and it is on. Lookin for a good set of AFR's or Twisted Wedge, and then i am using thornbirds. prolly stay in the 35 inch area. Got nitrous????? HAHAHAHAH
i think you'd win. well, i haven't gotten my gears in there yet. when i broke my 12 bolt i put in a 14FF with 3.73s and haven't gotten my 4.88s in the back yet. i start in granny now then shift to 1st, but with 4.88s i'll start in 2nd but idk how it'll launch. from 20-45 it'll ROAST a civic with intake/exhaust and some other miscelaneous mods. did that one day playin around. i don't like racing it from a dead stop until i get my driveshaft situation fixed. (got a bent tailshaft in my tcase and need a slip yoke eliminator and a HAD CV shaft, and my rear axle turned up 8*. as it is, when the carb is properly tuned if i am idling forward it will light the tires up if i punch it in granny, no clutch drop, and that's 39" mickey thompsons (essential drag slicks ) we'll race once like that, then again once i have the mods in my sig completed.

nice bronco BTW
Old 02-03-2004, 05:55 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Race him from a roll and make him look really stupid.

Scratch that, he is gonna get owned pretty good no matter what.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LT1 can NEVER LOSE!!!

Quick Reply: LT1 Z28 vs 1987 K20- who would win?