Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Need some Advice on this WRX

Old 01-27-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some Advice on this WRX

I have a race lined up against a bolton WRX, i have raced this car before and he beat me but this was before my cam and intake. I caught upto by the end of this street tracck which may or may have not been 1/4, my friend with a Z06 cam in his car caught upto and beat him, it was all on take off, Thats where I have the problem. I tend to get over excited and plant the damn peddle to the floor. I am just wondering on a good launch style and what do u think my odds are, rumor has it he has some other mods to his car but no upgrades on his turbo yet and he is still on the stock clutch. Any advice will help.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, with the cam, I think you should definitely take him with a good launch... Did you get a tune after getting the cam?
Old 01-27-2004, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should crush the WRX if it isn't an STi. As for the launching techniques for the M6, I could give some, but I'm much more used to launching with an A4... so I'll let one of the M6 guys handle that.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

His mods are
03'WRX, Boost controller(18-19psi),Downpipe,CAI,cutout after cats and K&N BUDDY!!!! and new tranny and clutch for his 6500rpm dumps

Yea i had it tuned, i was disappointed but i think a cutout will help. I dont have Drag rads but i have a New set of 295/35/18 Supercar tires on so I hope that helps me, doesnt spin as much in 2nd anymore just hooks plus the TorqueArm too
Old 01-27-2004, 07:58 PM
STF Veteran

I think you can take him. Just concentrate on getting a good launch. I think even if you get a decent launch you will beat him. Good luck and post a vid.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Well at least your car, or at least clutch will last longer... Looks like somebody isnt running stock boost...
Old 01-27-2004, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MillaTK
Well at least your car, or at least clutch will last longer... Looks like somebody isnt running stock boost...
Not that big of a deal considering they run just over an atmosphere stock.. he's only increasing boost by about 2-3 psi anyhow
Old 01-27-2004, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

if u get really excited, and u are on street tires, just don't rev up, just ease of the clutch, and into the gas, 3/4 throttle to full in 1st, let up a bit in 2nd during the change so u don't spin a bit of 2nd, then full throttle and a power shift to 3rd, then wave by to him
Old 01-27-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

if you shift like a bad ***, and just get a half assed launch and the win is yours!
Old 01-27-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Visualize like that one track thread said. That truly does work!!! And "chair fly it." Sit in a chair think it through and practice the maneuver in your mind and with your hands and feet 50 or more times. While taking flying lessons they made us do that and dang did it ever work!!! I also did that to learn to drive a stick and it was outstanding.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Play it safe and get a good set of DR's. Melt the f#$k out of them and hammer down. Don't take any chances using street tires vs. a awd turbo. These f'ing subarus' are like little flys that wont go away- and the drivers are so f'ing cocky. They think they own the fastest cars around. And yeah, 6500 rpm launches with awd will eventually turn his car into minute rice. All ricer cars are destined for an early death. They are temporary. It is our job to speed up the process. We can beat the **** out of our cars and they will still last with proper adjustments. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2004, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

no stock turbo wrx has been into the 12's yet...fastest on record is like 13.0 without spray
Old 01-27-2004, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

i have raced a pretty quick WRX wagon in Dallas. he was pretty cocky, kept saying he wanted to get beat by a domestic. there was nothing else out there but a few other LS1's and mustangs on street tires. this was back when all i had was a lid, 100 shot, Nitto's and the muffler cut off of all stock exhaust. he got a little on me with the launch but i quickly made it up and drug him. you can see the run about half way throught this video, red camaro and a white WRX wagon.

one night me and a few friends went out to one of our "seceret" race spots we didn't think anyone else knew about, it was a spot we had found a month or so earlier and didn't tell anyone but friends. when we got there hondas were everywhere and one red 3000GT VR4. i wound up racing him but don't have that on video. he had alot of stuff done to that car, LCD screens and gauges everywhere. he was REAL cocky and all his little honda friends thought i was going to get my *** handed to me. this was before i got the Nitto's, i was on some Pep Boy's radials. i had a friend ride with me, i showed him where the nitrous switch was (ashtray) and told him to only turn it on after i stopped spining if he jumped way out on me. he only got about his front bumper on me and i quickly made that up. then he turned the nitrous on by the time we passed the side street where everybody was parked (about 120 feet out) i already had two on him and pulling HARD. after that he left, never did come over and see what was done to my car.

AWD is nothing that a good set of tires can't make up for. just stick close to him on the launch and use your power to run him down. one lesson i've learned is to set a stopping point so he doesn't cram on the brakes as soon as you catch him and call it a win.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Yea, I dont have time to run out and buy some DR's, the goodyear supecars are gonna have to do. I practiced launch this morning and I had to really paddle the throttle thru 1st at a 2000rpm start, I whine the clutch out a little then gave it a little gas and she still lit up, but then it is freakin 17degrees outside, but once i hit second its nuthin but backseat from there(as im in it) So I know if i can paddle thru 1st once im in 2nd I will OWN him.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:39 AM
STF Veteran

OWN his ***!
Old 01-28-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes OWNING is what is going to happen here!! Kick that ***!
Old 01-28-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

ummm the clutch is definely the weak point on the scoobies but i take stangs and ls1's off the line and i just have a n/a 2.5 rs.. these things lauch like a mad man rain or snow.... just make shure you do every thing you can to get a good hook, make shure the weather is in your favor good warm dry roads, and make shure you both understand that its for the long hall not just off the line.
you sould take him no probablem hes prolly putting out around 190 hp.... hummm... seems a little low... but then again im not staring with 300hp stock any more but that should be about right assuming that his sticks to the 177hp stock rule of thumb for the turbo scoobs.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:32 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Start in 2nd. It's about the same temp out here, and I CANNOT get my car to hook in first gear ... especially during a race when you are alittle more ancy as you were saying.
Pop it in 2nd, give it 2500-3000 rpms, feather the clutch alittle so it doesn't bog down, then take off ... once you get into the 4000+ range in 2nd, you should be about a half car to a car behind him ... then its all LS1 from there. 3rd gear you should be rippin by him like hes parked.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Well I WON, we nailed it, he got the jump on me but that didnt matter, I reeled him in at the top of 2nd and then wasted him in 3rd. What really sucked tho is that the track wasn't a full 1/4 more like a little more then a 1/8, but even tho I put 1 1/2 to 2 cars on him at the end, would have been even more if the track was a 1/4, But O'well just remember guys "Eat More Rice"
Old 01-29-2004, 08:51 AM
STF Veteran

Hell yeah! Great kill. Way to wax his ricer ***! Hopefully he will now have the respect for the LS1 that he needs to have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some Advice on this WRX