Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

1st race in a year. Turbo civic v. turbo mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1st race in a year. Turbo civic v. turbo mustang

I'm on leave from Germany for 2 weeks before I deploy to Afghanistan, and on Tuesday I made it out to the local street scene in Fort Walton Beach with my Mustang. My brother came too. It was really awesome to roll in together with 2 nasty sounding black turbocharged mustangs, his a '95 SN95 body and mine a '91 Fox.

This has been my only opportunity to get in a race since I moved to Germany in December last year. So I walked around looking at the cars, but there really wasn't anything special out there. There were a couple of NSXs out there, but they didn't seem to have any work done. A black celica whose owner was pretty cocky said he made 250 whp, but everyone burst out laughing when he said that. So I suspect it made more, but he wouldn't race.

Finally, I approached a primer grey civic with an intercooler up front, and a pretty cool owner named Mike that was willing to pop the hood and let people look. The car clearly had a motor swap, and he mentioned it was an integra motor. The car also had a smallish looking turbo which clearly isn't stock on an integra. I couldn't tell you what else was done to it as I didn't ask too many questions, but the owner said that weighed 2200 lbs and that it'd been a best of 11.8@120mph.

I've got a turbocharged H/C/I 331 stroker with a TKO and 3.73s. I offered to run from a dig, but it was cold out and Mike thought he wouldn't get traction. So he threw out an offer to go from a 60 roll. I was down for anything really. So I agreed. I turned the boost down to 8 psi and started in 3rd. I gave him the jump and then rolled into the throttle. The boost came on and the 17", 275mm Mickey's started screaming as the car got sideways. I throttled it to see if I could regain traction. I managed to pull about half a car before I decided to short shift into 4th gear. The tires planted and I pulled 2-3 more cars, so I'm told, before I shut down.

He pulled up again and asked for another shot. I agreed and dropped my boost to 6psi. He again got the jump, but this time the traction situation was different. The Mickeys dug in and immediately launched me 2-3 cars out on him in 3rd gear. In 4th I let the car run up to 6500 rpm, ~130 mph, and Mike joked later that he'd lost sight of me. He wanted to run a 3rd time, but I didn't see the point in it and we were getting back into town where it wouldn't be safe.

It was fun to run the car, and Mike was a good sport. Back at the hole, Mike walked over and shook my hand congratulating me on the win, and saying my car is a beast. He said he'd lost traction in the 2nd race, but that the 1st race was a good run for him. His buddies were also cool enough to congratulate and said they were happy they got to see a race and to see my car go. I didn't say anything about throttling or dropping the boost to 'em. Figured I'd just show him a little respect for his ride and tell him that they were great races. I'm not entirely sure that it was really an 11.8/120mph car because that seems like an awfully good number from a front wheel drive platform.

I wish there had been a built LS1 or a cobra to play with. So if you're in the FWB/Destin area and you'd like to play, send me a message today - I'm leaving tomorrow.

Chris
Old 11-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Nice story and runs.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Nice run and good luck !!
Old 11-14-2010, 03:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. you race about as much as i do. Nice runs.
I wish i could play with you my friend... Good luck in afghanistan.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the props, guys
Old 11-15-2010, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job on not telling him about dropping the boost: 99% of guys would have thrown that salt onto the wound with smug satisfaction - even if they didnt realize it was throwing salt onto a wound. As far as 11.8 @120, I've seen more than a few FWD Honda's pull them numbers on full on slicks, aired down to 10-12psi, with the suspension ratcheted/lowered all the way down. It aint happening on a street setup Honda, but doable with a track setup. Just like you car is probably a 10 second ride if it was running full slicks and full boost. Right?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Youll enjoy your stay here i know i am lol sick ride and good kill
Old 11-15-2010, 03:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Nice job on not telling him about dropping the boost: 99% of guys would have thrown that salt onto the wound with smug satisfaction - even if they didnt realize it was throwing salt onto a wound. As far as 11.8 @120, I've seen more than a few FWD Honda's pull them numbers on full on slicks, aired down to 10-12psi, with the suspension ratcheted/lowered all the way down. It aint happening on a street setup Honda, but doable with a track setup.
Yeah, I'm not sure of their capabilities. 120 traps are enough to go low 11s in a RWD platform, but on the street, I'd be surprised to see a FWD civic break into the 11s. It wasn't running slicks, but did have DRs. I guess I'm just having a hard time believing that a low displacement motor with a smallish turbo would get 120mph. It's possible, but not likely. Plus, there isn't a 1/4 mile track within 2 hours of here - Montgomery is the closest one. So, it's likely he's never run it at the track and was just making a guess.

Just like you car is probably a 10 second ride if it was running full slicks and full boost. Right?
Haven't run it at the track, but I didn't build this car to run 10s. So I certainly hope not. The rear-end should go in about a week from now. The TH-400 probably while I'm deployed. Considering that it only took me ~320 rwhp n/a to break into the 11s with an older albeit ligher weight setup, I'd be willing to bet the car would crack off a 10 second ET as it sits on MTs without upping the boost. This motor made as much n/a as my old H/I twin-turbo 302 did at 8-9 psi.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Nice job on not telling him about dropping the boost: 99% of guys would have thrown that salt onto the wound with smug satisfaction - even if they didnt realize it was throwing salt onto a wound. As far as 11.8 @120, I've seen more than a few FWD Honda's pull them numbers on full on slicks, aired down to 10-12psi, with the suspension ratcheted/lowered all the way down. It aint happening on a street setup Honda, but doable with a track setup. Just like you car is probably a 10 second ride if it was running full slicks and full boost. Right?
The previous owner of my car did an 11.8 @ 121 on 23" slicks with just adjustable coil overs. SO yeah, it aint easy lol. I think I can do the same on some good drag radials...