Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

05 CTS-V vs. 05 SRT-4

Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 05 CTS-V vs. 05 SRT-4

A buddy and I ended up next to eachother while I was heading back to work from getting gas and he was heading home from work. We desided to line them up in Mexico and see how his car would do.

I was in 1st gear at 30mph. I counted to 3 with my fingers out the window, took the hit on 3 and jumped out about 1.5 cars, shifted to to 2nd and pulled another 2 cars and ran it up to the top of 2nd and had a solid 3 cars on him when I shifted into 3rd and shut it down..

All and I his car sounded great and I LOVE the sound of his turbo when he pulled back up next to me. Not sure what's his mods are, but I know that he's pretty close to stock. We'll run again when we can go all out! I also what to get a few dig runs in next time...
Old 11-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet, a friend of mine has been looking at getting a sRT4 for a while now and had mentioned a few times he thinks it will give my V a run for its money. i already knew he didnt have a chance but its nice to have some proof thereof.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

how do you guys deal with the fear of a busted rear end?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by the jester 812
sweet, a friend of mine has been looking at getting a sRT4 for a while now and had mentioned a few times he thinks it will give my V a run for its money. i already knew he didnt have a chance but its nice to have some proof thereof.
Lol, ya I new how it would go but wanted to see how close it would be. My friend can drive that's for sure! He did a lot better then that 2010 Auto Camaro SS I raced a few months back... if you want to get a good laugh then get someone with a stock 2010 Auto SS to run you from a roll! It confused the hell outta me that's for sure! It was kinda like racing a charger r/t... lol
Old 11-29-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by assasinator
Not many of us have the 1st gen rear. Most all the older Vs on the street have upgraded to the 06 V diff that hasn't been documented on giving out. I've done some pretty high rpm launches and didn't break anything(counting my lucky stars) so far. You'll also notice a lot of us will only do roll races as we can put more power down and not worry about breaking the diff if its stock. Gforce has a good fix with axles and a 9" irc rear diff that they sell for us so the idea of a cts-v on the dragstrip isn't sounding that far fetched..
Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

How does it feel to drive the only year,make, model of mustang that I have ever wanted? Lol
Old 11-29-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm, i test drove a stock srt4 a while back and was disappointed with the performance it offered... but better than rsx-s though. Good kill
Old 11-29-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
hmmm, i test drove a stock srt4 a while back and was disappointed with the performance it offered... but better than rsx-s though. Good kill
I haven't had a chance to drive one yet but my friend and I are gonna switch cars for a few minutes.. I have never driven a turbo car so I'm pretty siked... lol
Old 11-29-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you say it like its the only car that was built with a rear end problem. i know you could count 10x as many 6 speed f bodies with blown 10 bolts as you could Vs........ BTW(stock rear here)
Old 12-01-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by itsslow98
you say it like its the only car that was built with a rear end problem. i know you could count 10x as many 6 speed f bodies with blown 10 bolts as you could Vs........ BTW(stock rear here)
That's probably cause there was 50X more f-bodies built every year that the V1 was in production. Those V1 rears are ticking time bombs upgraded 06 or not. If they don't break they hop LOL
Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SRT8urvette
That's probably cause there was 50X more f-bodies built every year that the V1 was in production. Those V1 rears are ticking time bombs upgraded 06 or not. If they don't break they hop LOL
I launched mine at the track at about 4grand.....They played "Booty Poppin" when I came back up to the line....Said she looked like a girl in a rap video to the 60' mark LOL
Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 PM

I owned an 05 and 06 and believe me I know what you're talking about. Between replacing one rear in the 05 and the spinal damage (wheel hop) from the 1-2 shift in the 06 I never had the ***** to go to a drag strip with either of those cars. We all know there's plenty of guys out there that do but I guess they have deep pockets and AAA haha I did run the 06 at a few road courses and had a blast though but of course the car sat in the dealer for the next week and a half after that using up that warranty. Cradle bushings, tie rod end links, steering rack, yada yada yada...
Old 12-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Teching In

good kill
Old 12-03-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kill. Those SRT-4's seem to be at their best in highway rolls. A few choice mods and he wouldn't do too bad up top. I remember messing around with a few I ran into on the highway from 60ish rolls and although it didn't go well, I was surprised at how well a few of them jumped out when I gave them the hit. Then I ran into one with an aftermarket turbo and some other stuff and only got him by maybe two cars at best from the same roll. That thing moved.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Launching!

i bought mine with 29k on her, and now have 40k. i dont know if it already had the rear replaced or not, but i speed shift it ALL the time because i get a kick out of chirping 3rd gear, and my rear seems fine to me. of course, now that i said that, you will probably see a thread from me next week about my rear blowing out.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

When i was in the market for a V1, i couldn't find a single person that had installed the $400ish anti-wheel hop axles that had blown the rear.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jeffreycastgsx
When i was in the market for a V1, i couldn't find a single person that had installed the $400ish anti-wheel hop axles that had blown the rear.
i have read a thread on here of a few people who have installed the axles, i dont remember if it was because of blowing the rear, but they liked the axles i DO remember that, and if i ever get around to it, i plan on getting them, because mine wheel-hops like a bitch. i never, ever leave at anything over an idle, i just roll into it, then mash it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 CTS-V vs. 05 SRT-4