Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2003 Mach 1 Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Mach 1 Dyno

I know this is the Street Racing & Kill Stories section, but it is also the only section I ever go to on this site. So, after a two month hiatus from posting, I have finally gotten my Mach dynoed. I had told everyone that once I got some numbers, I'd post 'em. So here they are. I've got two sheets. The first one is on an SAE calculation, while the second is on an STD calculation. SAE calculations use 77 degrees F, amongst other things, while the STD uses 59 degrees F, amongst other things. The base standard constants for the STD calculation are much closer to the actual conditions of the day my Mach 1 was dynoed. It was a 56 degree day, clear, not too humid, etc... Unfortunately the fans don't make use of much cold air help the Shaker give the 4.6L 4v, but I'm decently happy with my base stock numbers. My air/fuel is almost a perfect 13:1 the entire way, dipping slighly fat towards the end. I'm happy about that. My car had been sitting in the sun for hours, so things were heated up more than I wanted them to be. If I had run early in the morning when my car hadn't been out in the sun, I might have broken the 280/300 range in the SAE calculation. Ralph, another Mach owner there, ran around 279/302.
Attached Thumbnails 2003 Mach 1 Dyno-dyno-2-21-04.gif   2003 Mach 1 Dyno-dyno-2-21-04-std.gif  

Last edited by loveOliver; 02-26-2004 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

not bad

nice numbers
Old 02-26-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

not bad about 10 to 20 hp short of basic ls1;s. good looking curves though.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Like I've always said, the LS1s have slightly more power, but when it comes to racing, driving is everything. I haven't taken her out to the track yet, hopefully soon. I'll post times once that happens. Does anyone know where I can get a hold of some completely stock LS1 dynojet sheets? Hopefully some early w/o LS6 intake and some w/ the LS6 intake. Thanks guys.

Ryan
Old 02-26-2004, 10:33 PM
STF Veteran

i found one awhile back when i was looking, but i think it must have been a freak, because the torque curve was over 300 ft/lbs from 2500 to 5500, simply amazing.

what's a mach1 weigh anyway? stangs have been gaining weight over the past decade or so havn't they?

Last edited by Skarecrow; 02-26-2004 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:01 PM
Teching In

around 3400 lbs or so. I haven't had mine weighed, but that's about where they've been tipping the scales. Slightly on the heavy side, but the weight distribution isn't too far off from 50/50. I believe it is a 48/52, but not positive. There are some Machs dynoing higher on other dynos. Remember that other brands of dynos come up with higher or lower numbers, and every individual dyno is different. They're a tuning tool, not a very accurate comparision tool. DynoJet is usually lower than a Mustang Dyno, for example. I've been seeing some really high numbers out of the Mustang Dynos, including what you've described.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by loveOliver
around 3400 lbs or so. I haven't had mine weighed, but that's about where they've been tipping the scales. Slightly on the heavy side, but the weight distribution isn't too far off from 50/50. I believe it is a 48/52, but not positive. There are some Machs dynoing higher on other dynos. Remember that other brands of dynos come up with higher or lower numbers, and every individual dyno is different. They're a tuning tool, not a very accurate comparision tool. DynoJet is usually lower than a Mustang Dyno, for example. I've been seeing some really high numbers out of the Mustang Dynos, including what you've described.
It should be the exact opposite....the mustang dynos usually are about 30rwhp lower.
Nice numbers though...same for Ralph's car
Old 02-27-2004, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice curves. I'd love to own a Mach 1. They're awesome cars.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

those are some nice numbers my boss used to have a mach and traded it in
for a 03 cobra. he took me for a test drive and only thing i can say is
Old 02-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by loveOliver
I know this is the Street Racing & Kill Stories section, but it is also the only section I ever go to on this site. So, after a two month hiatus from posting, I have finally gotten my Mach dynoed. I had told everyone that once I got some numbers, I'd post 'em. So here they are. I've got two sheets. The first one is on an SAE calculation, while the second is on an STD calculation. SAE calculations use 77 degrees F, amongst other things, while the STD uses 59 degrees F, amongst other things. The base standard constants for the STD calculation are much closer to the actual conditions of the day my Mach 1 was dynoed. It was a 56 degree day, clear, not too humid, etc... Unfortunately the fans don't make use of much cold air help the Shaker give the 4.6L 4v, but I'm decently happy with my base stock numbers. My air/fuel is almost a perfect 13:1 the entire way, dipping slighly fat towards the end. I'm happy about that. My car had been sitting in the sun for hours, so things were heated up more than I wanted them to be. If I had run early in the morning when my car hadn't been out in the sun, I might have broken the 280/300 range in the SAE calculation. Ralph, another Mach owner there, ran around 279/302.
Not too shabby!
The numbers are a little on the low side, but that could just be dyno variation...