Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Hoosier DR's ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hoosier DR's ??

Hope this is the right section...

Has anyone put the Hoosier DR's on the street ?? Please don't chime in about rain, I understand the consequences of a wet road. I'm intersted in how they hook on the street. Of all the DR's they seem to have the "best" sidewall for a stick car.

Thanks...
Old 06-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good ******* kill sir

Last edited by Stopsign32v; 06-17-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

Haha....thats my welcome ?? Haha...With this being the "street racing section" I figured....Well....maybe I wasting my breath with you. Next ??
Old 06-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

They are a favorite of more then a few of the big hp street cars on here. Oddly enough, the lower (under 600rhp) crowd doesn't seem to prefer them as much though. Maybe they are either too radical for the street, too short of life, or maybe too heavy for normal street/strip cars.

Alot of what works well for each person's car relies on how that cars suspension is setup also: I can't count the number of guys with nearly identical cars argueing over what tire works best for "all" cars like theres. Let's just say, that the guys who found them to work best with there cars accept no substitutes. That help?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC
Haha....thats my welcome ?? Haha...With this being the "street racing section" I figured....Well....maybe I wasting my breath with you. Next ??
Old 06-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Everything you say to him will be wasting your breath. Best to put him on ignore.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Everything you say to him will be wasting your breath. Best to put him on ignore.
You are allowed one post per thread **** face. This is your 2nd...
Old 06-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
You are allowed one post per thread **** face. This is your 2nd...
ohh, good one there stoppy. Really hit me in the gut with that one.

If your leftover high school notebook on slams and disses is running dry I can let you borrow one of my kid's. And don't worry, I won't tell anyone.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

email it to me
Old 06-17-2011, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
email it to me
jackalope@msn.com right?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

Ok, I'm pushing 500 to the tires and my NT-05's are FN scary when you get into the throttle (at any speed). I also just setup a "kit" and plan on spraying 150-200ish, depending on traction. Its an '04 ZO6 so theres not a lot of adjustability in the suspension. Maybe an adjustable shock would be worth looking into.

And not sure if I followed everything you were saying because the Hoosiers are the lightest DR's avaliable.

Thanks...
Old 06-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

On my car they worked the best out if the drag radials. They hook very well with my old combo it would hook @ 2 -3 psi not even the mt would do that.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Thats great to hear. Do you think I could get a summer out of them (on the street) ?? Its only a Friday/ Saturday night ride (maybe 1200 miles a summer).

Any good kill stories running the Hoosier DR's on the street ??
Old 06-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, I'm pushing 500 to the tires and my NT-05's are FN scary when you get into the throttle (at any speed). I also just setup a "kit" and plan on spraying 150-200ish, depending on traction. Its an '04 ZO6 so theres not a lot of adjustability in the suspension. Maybe an adjustable shock would be worth looking into.

And not sure if I followed everything you were saying because the Hoosiers are the lightest DR's avaliable.

Thanks...
nt-05's suck at anything much over 300rwhp IMO. nt-01's are supposed to be much better, but if I was you I would be looking at Star Spec's for the street: full drag radial rubber as they are the road courses version of a drag radial, but with a stiffer sidewall. baby the first few feet of the launch and then you are golden.

As you can tell, I'm running them right now. Had nt05R's on before (still have them on the front), Potenza RE01R (there version of the star spec) and did a few hundred miles on a set of half used ET Streets: The ET's gave me the best jolt from a dead stop, but I still went back to my Star Specs and never looked back. Granted I'm a stalled auto, but I've dig raced quite a few ET Street and NT05 & 01 equipped fbodies and mustangs and never had one stay with me past the middle of 1st gear.

I wouldn't normally recommend star specs to you, except that you can run such a bigass tire on the vettes that the extra width should provide the extra grip- I was in the 450rwhp range last time my car ran (it's nitrous ready forged 402 will be installed next week!). And that's on 265/40/17's.

BTW be warned, they spec out ALOT bigger then there numbers indicate. my 265's are in the width category of a 275-285 series width tire.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

Thats great to hear. Do you think I could get a summer out of them (on the street) ?? Its only a Friday/ Saturday night ride (maybe 1200 miles a summer).

Any good kill stories running the Hoosier DR's on the street ??

This is me versus a friend running the NT05R's: first part of the video is me playing with him, the real dig race is at :38seconds. This is about the same jump I put on every DR car I've raced on the street. On the track, when my posi had me doing 1 legger burnouts in the box and off the line, I was in the 1.70-1.80 60' range (before the heads/cam). I fully expect high 1.5's when I get it too the track in the next few weeks. Got a new posi and a bunch of other stuff since the last track outing btw...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrcXryBRarY
Old 06-17-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Regular

Cool, I'll look into them. And FYI, I'm looking to the 315/35/17's.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

tirerack online is by far the best price. Cheap, too. Your's won't be as cheap as mine though: thats a bigass tire.

Remember, go with the tread width to decide your size, NOT the number. And expect tirerack to email and/or call you to let you know that they are alot wider then indicated and might not fit your application.

The way I figure it is use star specs for the street, and the stickier ET's (ET drags? whatever the stickier ET's are) for the track when I go after my 10 second slip.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:56 AM
Restricted User

There is a wheel and tire section for ur question. (Im not bitching, just suprised it hasn't been moved). Some people feel the need to be dicks when someone accidently post's in the wrong section
Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for being cool about it. Not being a smart *** but this section is called Street racing & kill stories. I've posted in that (tire & wheel) section before and they have a lot of info....if your interested in track tires or tire polish. It seems the guys who are serious about the "street" reside in this section.

Thanks..
Old 06-17-2011, 01:19 AM
Restricted User

Thanks for being cool about it. Not being a smart *** but this section is called Street racing & kill stories. I've posted in that (tire & wheel) section before and they have a lot of info....if your interested in track tires or tire polish. It seems the guys who are serious about the "street" reside in this section.

Thanks..
Just got to go search through it for awhile. There are a bunch of threads on those tires over there.