Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

1997 Cobra vs 1994 Z28 **VIDEO**

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I'm not sure about the 93's, but on the 94+ cars that came with 2.73's, you had to cut off some kind of stop to manually downshift it into 1st gear.
This is true. Oddly enough it had to do with Federal noise polution tests.

It was just a simple little plastic or nylon piece that could be easily removed by lifting the shifter cover and cutting it off.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
On the '93s, from a roll the 2.73 cars have a 'sweet spot' right around 30-35 ish, where if you yank it from D to 1st gear position (which will actually be hidden on a GU2 car) @ WOT, it will hit - HARD! Get it into 2nd before you hit the limiter and it will pull much harder than rolling out in 'D' and letting it shift on its own. Thats the good thing about the 700R4(4L60) in '92/93...they will shift on command with little to no delay.
No doubt it will, 160k on the clock not gonna risk things for no reason lol when its rebuild it will get a manual valve body so that wont be an issue any more. Ill take a loss and spare my tranny. but even still, second in my car is awful, 2.xxs murder it. They suck, I don't even remember what they are lol

I'm not sure about the 93's, but on the 94+ cars that came with 2.73's, you had to cut off some kind of stop to manually downshift it into 1st gear.
I already cut it off lol, one of the first things I did. I just try and avoid down shifting into first if I'm already rolling faster then like 10-15mph. 160k on the clock and I like being better safe then sorry. It was not treated correctly before I got it...
Old 07-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZFreie
No doubt it will, 160k on the clock not gonna risk things for no reason lol when its rebuild it will get a manual valve body so that wont be an issue any more. Ill take a loss and spare my tranny. but even still, second in my car is awful, 2.xxs murder it. They suck, I don't even remember what they are lol
I remember the beginning of 3rd being the worst, actually 2-3 shift. 2nd would pull OK but when that sucker shifted to 3rd it was all bad. I think a stall converter fixed that problem.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I remember the beginning of 3rd being the worst, actually 2-3 shift. 2nd would pull OK but when that sucker shifted to 3rd it was all bad. I think a stall converter fixed that problem.
some 3.73s will fix it to lol
Old 07-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Yes those do the trick too.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WSsick
Maybe he's talking launching harder? That's what I've always thought of about stangs. Can launch much harder off that than the 10 bolt (on the track), but other than that, I can't see what Irun14s is saying. Mustangs like to stick around until ~50 then die off quick.

Eh, maybe a very well driven Cobra vs a non-headered LS1, I could see it. Definitely can see it against a 2.73 LS1, even one with headers. My buddy's was a totally ******* dog with those gears.
Agree with both posts. Nothing else to add to it really.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:39 PM
***Repost Police***

That's a pretty ignorant statement to make when F-bodies have put out quicker 0-60 and quarter-mile times both stock for stock and bolt-on for bolt-on, from 1993 to the end of its production in 2002.

The part about the drivers race with a bolt-on LS1 is just comical.
Posts like this make me think you just like arguing with me... I was pretty obviously saying that a Mustangs' strong point is going from a dig, rather than from a roll. Which is why a bolt-on/geared Cobra has a much better chance running a bolt-on F-body from a dig than it does from a roll.

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
If I recall, most people were saying that a geared/bolt-on Cobra would be a driver's race against most bolt-on LS1 F-bodies in the 1/4 mile. As a rule, Mustangs have usually been strongest from a stop. Though everybody has jokes, I don't think anybody would deny that bolt-on LT1s are strong cars.
I did not say "Mustangs have been strongER than F-bodies from a stop." I was talking about a Mustang racing from a dig vs. a roll.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by WSsick
Good runs. Time for a stall in the ol' LTjuan.
He actually has a very mild stall converter for it, waiting to go in. It's probably not going to give a big improvement, but since it was free, even a tenth or two would make the swap worth it.

This is true. Oddly enough it had to do with Federal noise polution tests.
I wondered why they did that. Seems odd since the 2.73 gear car will turn lower rpm at the same mph.

Even with the 3.42's, my brother's car noticeably falls off once it hit's 3rd gear. We're hoping that a 3.73 will help that some.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Posts like this make me think you just like arguing with me... I was pretty obviously saying that a Mustangs' strong point is going from a dig, rather than from a roll. Which is why a bolt-on/geared Cobra has a much better chance running a bolt-on F-body from a dig than it does from a roll.

I did not say "Mustangs have been strongER than F-bodies from a stop." I was talking about a Mustang racing from a dig vs. a roll.
I wasn't trying to argue with you. You said as a rule of thumb, Mustangs usually perform better from a stop. And I am telling you that is not the case.

I wondered why they did that. Seems odd since the 2.73 gear car will turn lower rpm at the same mph.
It had to do with the cars having to pass through the sound traps at certain speed in the lowest selectable gear. The 3.23 car won't allow a manual downshift @ that speed, while a 2.73 ratio will - increasing engine and exhaust noise. Therefore GM had to block 1st gear in order to meet Federal guidelines.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
IMO a 96-98 Cobra with bolt ons is a good race against a bolt on LT1 and a 99-01 Cobra with bolt ons is a good race with a bolt on LS1 (saything this last part from my own experience)
If I recall, most people were saying that a geared/bolt-on Cobra would be a driver's race against most bolt-on LS1 F-bodies in the 1/4 mile. As a rule, Mustangs have usually been strongest from a stop. Though everybody has jokes, I don't think anybody would deny that bolt-on LT1s are strong cars.
I was pretty obviously saying that a Mustangs' strong point is going from a dig, rather than from a roll. Which is why a bolt-on/geared Cobra has a much better chance running a bolt-on F-body from a dig than it does from a roll.
This is quite easily explained. See, "as a rule" Mustangs are usually under powered. So the people who own them do gears and tire to try and make up for their lack of power, because even with bolt ons they were still slow.

These owners with gears and slicks go around racing stock Camaros from a dig, jump out to about 70mph and hit the brakes conveniently before the Camaro comes flying past. The myth that stopsign and Idontrun11s perpetuate comes from these experiences.

These same guys then go to the track in their under powered, over tire'd cars and run mid-low 13's @ 95mph... and lose to Z24 Cavaliers on the highway that run 15's.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:17 AM

It had to do with the cars having to pass through the sound traps at certain speed in the lowest selectable gear. The 3.23 car won't allow a manual downshift @ that speed, while a 2.73 ratio will - increasing engine and exhaust noise. Therefore GM had to block 1st gear in order to meet Federal guidelines.
Interesting, you learn something every day

It also makes me wonder, who the hell thinks of these nonsense tests?
Old 07-09-2011, 06:31 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting, you learn something every day

It also makes me wonder, who the hell thinks of these nonsense tests?
You gotta love the environmentalist wackos...
Old 07-09-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by myk
You gotta love the environmentalist wackos...
"Oh nooooes, those evil car guys might disturb the mating rituals of the purple toe mucus tick if they have the ability to select first gear in their polution machines!"
Old 07-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Launching!

"Oh nooooes, those evil car guys might disturb the mating rituals of the purple toe mucus tick if they have the ability to select first gear in their polution machines!"
Old 07-09-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The only mustangs that have been worth a **** since 93. 03-04 cobra's and the mach 1's. If it isn't one of these 2 then there ain't much to worry about stock for stock. I know when my 2000 had gears and a hypercrap tune I had no problem beating up on the average ford motorsports built 5.0. Now that ford has the 5.0 coyote I would have to say that they have regained the title, hands down.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:31 PM
***Repost Police***

I wasn't trying to argue with you. You said as a rule of thumb, Mustangs usually perform better from a stop. And I am telling you that is not the case.

Ok, you're absolutely right. The aggressive gearing of the T45 and 3650 in 1st and 2nd gear, plus the 8.8" rearend with 3.27s/3.55s/3.73s definitely lends itself to roll racing. People with bolt-on/geared Cobras should do 50mph punches instead of dig races.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good video Ron! The video looks exactly like my runs from a dig against a buddy with a 97 Cobra with 4.10's and almost full bolt-ons.

He wants a rematch for money with me with his secret "new motor setup" that will "puppy kick" my car. Thankfully, I conveniently forgot to tell him how I installed the nitrous awhile back
Old 07-10-2011, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
The video looks exactly like my runs from a dig against a buddy with a 97 Cobra with 4.10's and almost full bolt-ons.

He wants a rematch for money with me with his secret "new motor setup" that will "puppy kick" my car. Thankfully, I conveniently forgot to tell him how I installed the nitrous awhile back
Sounds like fun! I love rematch races where both cars have been modded up and both drivers are sure they have the win
Old 07-10-2011, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

I didn't expect the outcome; but good races anyway.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

This reminds me of a thread a while back where a few guys were arguing with me that a mild bolt-on/geared 96-98 Cobra was a drivers race for a bolt-on LS1, and that an LT1 was no match - not even on the radar. I wonder if F8L Byte, It'llrun, Bitemark and the rest of them will chime and explain what happened in this case...
I thought the cobra would have won the digs and lose the rolls. It was opposite.

That's a pretty ignorant statement to make when F-bodies have put out quicker 0-60 and quarter-mile times both stock for stock and bolt-on for bolt-on, from 1993 to the end of its production in 2002.

The part about the drivers race with a bolt-on LS1 is just comical.
That's right because bolt-ons make the both cars equally quicker when the same ones are put on each car. Come on, I thought you were smarter than that.

I'd be gladly to run any bolt-on catfish in Tampa and post the vid here.

Quick Reply: 1997 Cobra vs 1994 Z28 **VIDEO**