Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2001 Camaro Z28 vs 2011 Mustang GT (5.0) HD Videos

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1rob00
Nice runs, cool to have a friend with a new 5.0.

And to tell the truth, he probably won't run that great since it's his first time there and being in a manual lol. I wouldn't be surprised if you did the best, your car will be easiest to launch.
Very cool to have him as a friend. I need to let him give me a ride in it some day, I love my car a lot, but I have nothing but respect for those new Mustangs.

The G8 GT is a 6 speed automatic though, and he's older and has a lot of drag racing experience from what he tells me. He constantly likes to rub in the fact that his car makes more HP and is a family sedan and can smoke my Camaro, etc. Anyways, I do plan on recording those runs too, so in a few weeks we'll see those results too.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Restricted User

Definetely shows an inexperienced driver makes a huge difference. He should have put 4 or more cars on you. Especially with you having 2.73's and him having 3.73's. Could be because of the traction control like said above. Good runs though. Being able to say you beat a new 5.0 in your 10 year z28 is pretty cool no matter how you got the win. It is still a win. Let him drive the car for a month or so and get some more vids for us to see how it comes out!
Old 08-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by z99ls1
Let him drive the car for a month or so and get some more vids for us to see how it comes out!
Well, next month we are going to the drag strip. I plan on recording those runs too. Not sure if I will be running against him or not, since it is my first time, not too sure of what to expect. But I will be recording all the runs, and we can at the very least compare time slips.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Well, next month we are going to the drag strip. I plan on recording those runs too. Not sure if I will be running against him or not, since it is my first time, not too sure of what to expect. But I will be recording all the runs, and we can at the very least compare time slips.
Sounds awesome! I wish I had a friend with a 5.0. I wish I had a friends with a car with similar power as mine actually. Damn cammed lt1's arent so fast these days.. I havent had a good race for months and im starting to get desperate lol. I seen a black 5.0 the other day with a younger guy driving and I was in my ******* truck. I was PISSED. I followed him all the way to my home town hoping he would turn in and I could go get my car, but he just kept on driving
Old 08-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by z99ls1
Sounds awesome! I wish I had a friend with a 5.0. I wish I had a friends with a car with similar power as mine actually. Damn cammed lt1's arent so fast these days.. I havent had a good race for months and im starting to get desperate lol. I seen a black 5.0 the other day with a younger guy driving and I was in my ******* truck. I was PISSED. I followed him all the way to my home town hoping he would turn in and I could go get my car, but he just kept on driving
I live in a fairly small town, barely 40,000 people and I am always itching for a race. I only get one every month or two. Haven't had a real race in a long time. And at the apartments I live at, no one in the whole lot has any sort of performance car, or anything remotely fast until a few weeks ago when my friend bought that new 5.0. Never see enough fast cars around here. Came across a 5th gen Camaro both V6 and V8, revved my engine at them at a few times, neither one of them tried to race me.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would have to be pretty bad *** to not lose any ground in an m6 during a shift. Autos don't lose ground during a ****.

Good kill. He shifts slooooow.

Anyone know how the shifter is setup? Ford is notorious for shitty shifter placement.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lemons12
You would have to be pretty bad *** to not lose any ground in an m6 during a shift. Autos don't lose ground during a ****.

Anyone know how the shifter is setup? Ford is notorious for shitty shifter placement.
If I had a stalled auto with 3.73's I'd probably do a lot better. But those mods are a long ways off.

What do you mean how it's set up? I remember my friend telling me that the gears are a lot shorter and he runs through them faster than what his old Cobalt was. Which is likely why he short shifted an missed a few gears. He did mention he was shifting slow also, don't know why. Then again, I am sure it all takes some getting used to also.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

373s won't change much.. A converter is going to make it shift any faster.

The location and angle.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

u should of told him in a race u need to shift fast, not like ur cruising LOL
Old 08-29-2011, 12:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
u should of told him in a race u need to shift fast, not like ur cruising LOL
I'm not going to give him pointers during the races!

But now seeing all the constructive criticism everyone on here has brought up, I might let him read these posts, all the advice on here should help improve his driving and shifting abilities.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

Good death and good kills.. Man u guys should run again, but him with his TC off.. Just so we can see exactly how it turns out. Because I know when I leave my TC on, that **** kills it Big time!! :/
Old 08-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by camaroboy14
Good death and good kills.. Man u guys should run again, but him with his TC off.. Just so we can see exactly how it turns out. Because I know when I leave my TC on, that **** kills it Big time!! :/
I'm sure him leaving the TC on helped me pull on him from a dig, but his biggest problem is his slow shifting. Even in the roll races he never gets a full car length ahead of me. If he had been shifting at the right RPM's and shifting fast enough, he should have walked me.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

DRiver lost this race. Either way good kill. But as every one already said he learns to drive he will walk you.

Also tell him to take traction control off. With it on the car cuts the throttle on hard acceleration. Losing power. I have to say it is really bad. My G8 wasn't even that bad.

Also tell him to get a tune. Watched a guy run 13.7 with his new 5.0 at the track. He had owned it 2 weeks. 6M with 3.73's with 500miles on it. DA was 3000ish also. Anyway friend tuned it at the track for him. He then ran two back to back 12.9 and a 13.0. That is what a tune can do. That was with 1.9-2.1 60fts the whole time on stock tires.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
DRiver lost this race. Either way good kill. But as every one already said he learns to drive he will walk you.

Also tell him to take traction control off. With it on the car cuts the throttle on hard acceleration. Losing power. I have to say it is really bad. My G8 wasn't even that bad.

Also tell him to get a tune. Watched a guy run 13.7 with his new 5.0 at the track. He had owned it 2 weeks. 6M with 3.73's with 500miles on it. DA was 3000ish also. Anyway friend tuned it at the track for him. He then ran two back to back 12.9 and a 13.0. That is what a tune can do. That was with 1.9-2.1 60fts the whole time on stock tires.
But stock these cars are cutting mid 12 second 1/4 miles, of course that's with experienced drivers. So a tune and you can get a 12.4 or so?
Old 08-29-2011, 12:53 AM
10 Second Club

Oh also what are the mods on the G8?

Tell him with the 5.0 to really heat his tires. A good 6-8 second burn out. People have cut 1.7-1.9 60fts on the stock tires. Oh and take traction control off. Leave at 1000rpms slipping the clutch out the whole. Depending on DA he should still get some 12's out it even on the first time.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:56 AM
10 Second Club

But stock these cars are cutting mid 12 second 1/4 miles, of course that's with experienced drivers. So a tune and you can get a 12.4 or so?
Maybe you missed video friend and I took mine out stock on tires and ran 12.1-12.4.

Tune only cars have went 11.8-12.2 with tires and good drivers.

Traction will be your friends biggest issue. If he had some tires he could launch at 5k.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Oh also what are the mods on the G8?

Tell him with the 5.0 to really heat his tires. A good 6-8 second burn out. People have cut 1.7-1.9 60fts on the stock tires. Oh and take traction control off. Leave at 1000rpms slipping the clutch out the whole. Depending on DA he should still get some 12's out it even on the first time.
The G8 GT is 100% stock, down to the filter. He runs synthetic oil if that matters at all.

My car just has the two minor mods.

The Mustang has the exhaust, still not sure if it's mufflers or the whole cat-back, I'm thinking it's the complete exhaust system.

Someone else mentioned stabilize control or something to that effect? Something that the Mustang has that also reduces power when launching it hard.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12

It not bad at all for a stock shifter. It is soemwhat sloppy btu positioned good and the throws arent bad. Just remember 5th gear is 1:1 not 4th so your shifting a lot faster and 1-2nd are short as all hell. Thats why it takes some time to learn.

Weirdest thing about the trans to me is to get in reverse you push down on the shifter and then put itwhere first gear is.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:11 AM
10 Second Club

The G8 GT is 100% stock, down to the filter. He runs synthetic oil if that matters at all.

My car just has the two minor mods.

The Mustang has the exhaust, still not sure if it's mufflers or the whole cat-back, I'm thinking it's the complete exhaust system.

Someone else mentioned stabilize control or something to that effect? Something that the Mustang has that also reduces power when launching it hard.
In a prefect world the 5.0 should be the faster car. The G8 would run 13.4-13.7.

Tell him to press clutch, car in neutral and hold the traction control button till it says advance track off. Not just traction control off. If he double taps it it will go into sport mods. Which is a waste also.

Even with a catback exhaust the mustang isn't really gaining anything. Maybe 5whp. The biggest restriction on them is that acts. off road x pipe he will pick up 17-23whp with it. That is on top of what he would gain from the tune. Most 5.0's are gaining about 20-25whp from a email tune.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wow.. That is crazy, how does that even work?

Quick Reply: 2001 Camaro Z28 vs 2011 Mustang GT (5.0) HD Videos