Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Won't be knockin' the DSMs anymore!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost all big single turbo setups, found on supra's and rx7's will have substantial lag. My setup(For the 300z) is the best that I have seen, as far as power and spool. I should make at least 600rwhp and have full boost in the 4300-4500rpm range. One other person with this setup made 400rwhp by 3700rpm. That is about 3500 rpm in full boost range, very good considering the power.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:00 PM
7 Second Club / STF Veteran

what is your setup? and yes the fastest dsm's are rwd it's easier to put a regular transmission in than go through 3 transfer cases in one weekend of racing
Old 03-11-2004, 02:07 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 68maro
what is your setup? and yes the fastest dsm's are rwd it's easier to put a regular transmission in than go through 3 transfer cases in one weekend of racing
Do the engines remain horizontally mounted, or are they made to go in longitudinal?
Old 03-11-2004, 02:14 PM

longitudal they place them inline with the drivetrain
Old 03-11-2004, 02:21 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 68maro
longitudal they place them inline with the drivetrain
Then why start with a DSM?
I've never understood that. At that point, that car is about as much DSM as it is a parts car on a junkyard chasis.

I like cars that can be made to go fast using their original foundation and drivetrain layout. I know that in the end, all the go-fast parts swap out the original parts, but at least the basic concept is in tact.
Even purer to the form, you have stock rear end GN's running sick numbers.

So, you can't point at a 8 to 9 second rear drive DSM and tell me it's a Talon, Eclipse, or Laser with a straight face.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:46 PM

i'm talking the low 8 high 7 sec cars are like that most of your high 8 9 and 10 sec cars are still awd and the 8 and 9 that are rwd are usually stock drivetrain with dummy axles up front so know power goes through the transfercase but they are still stock layout like said earlier right now i believe the fastest street car awd with full interior is in the 8.70 8.80 range usually don't go to aftermarket tube chassis with 9in and powerglides until low 8's or 7's i believe the profwd are in or knocking on the 6's
Old 03-11-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

talking about non-door slammer cars like pro-anything is pretty pointless i mean..lingenfelter had a seven second "cavalier".

I saw one 8 second AWD dsm in hot rod, and i've seen a video of a scary-street looking 1st gen running 8s.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Teching In

John Shepard holds the record for the fastest unibody/awd DSM. His fastest run to date is 8.769@165.97Shep Racing. The fastest "Eagle talon" is owned by David Buschur which is tube frame chassis RWD. John Shepards talon was in the January HOT ROD, and I do believe it is still street class...

Engine:
Stock block and crank
BJ's lightened stock crank
Ross forged pistons + Groden aluminum rods
BJ's ported cylinder head (stock head) with 1mm oversize valves, titanium retainers, double springs, and HKS camshafts
Unorthodox cam gears
BJ's sheet metal intake + Accufab throttle body
Buschur Racing race core intercooler and plumbing + Tial B.O.V.
HKS T4 manifold + HKS external race wastegate
Buschur full 3 1/2" exhaust
T4 Garret turbo built by Forced Performance
Fuel Injector Clinic injectors
AEM stand-alone engine management system
MSD DIS-2 + Buschur racing coil on plug setup
Aeromotive fuel pump, filter, regulator
NX direct port nitrous system controlled by AEM
Shepherd racing custom built transmission.

Interior:
Gary Reese NHRA certified 12 point cage certified to 7.49
Momo steering wheel
Summit Racing seat
Autometer gauges: fuel level, fuel pressure, oil pressure, boost, coolant temperature and tach
Fully carpeted

Body and chassis:
All glass - no lexan
All steel except for hood
Volk TE-37 wheels 16x8
Hoosier DOT 26X8X16
DSS coil-over kit with Koni shocks
ACPT carbon fiber drive shaft
Car weighs 2650lbs. with driver

Not all DSM have to awd to be fast either, the fastest FWD is owned by Gary Marsh, ran a 9.545@151.64.

sorry about the long post.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Launching!

something doesnt sound right here........turbo doesnt take until 110 mph to spool up. if it did then turbos would have never been made.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It didn't take that long to spool up. It just took him that long to catch me and for me to hear it, cause when it spooled it was louder than my car! I have a Dynamouth on mine and at 110 in fourth, its singin' pretty good. His car was louder than that when he blew by me.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

wicked is correct....I too have raced a car like that with a huge turbo when i was bone stock....we went from the dig and I pulled him hard until about 110, then he went flying by.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Then why start with a DSM?
being a recovering dsm-aholic..

1. strong engine / bottum end capable of HIGH boost with little to no engine modifications. people run well into the 11's, possibly 10's on the stock bottum end with no modifications. the stock rods are good for like 450+ hp.
2. factory awd- 1.8 60ft's and better almost stock, no need for slicks
3. cheap to make fast, and modifications to a dsm actually give you GOOD gains (like ls1's). not like a honda where exhaust gives you 7 fwhp, in a dsm it can give you 20+ awhp.

they do have weak drivelines, but if you are willing to spend the $ you can get sick transmissions for them (dogmesh engagement). if driven correctly (carefully but not like a *****) they can last pretty good and still be consistent and fast at the strip.

also the turbo lag can be dealt with in a number of ways. as long as the setup is efficient (piping and ic are of the correct design and size) you can tune so the lag is not so bad. there is also the "stutter box", or the 2 step rev limiter. this makes it possible to launch with the engine under load (bouncing off of the pre-set launch rev limiter), and the engine under load produces boost so you can leave the line with 5-10psi. you also do not have to let off the gas to shift if you have the chip/ engine management to do so, so you won't loose much boost between shifts.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hate to admit it but I was once beaten by a DSM in my '67. It happened about 10 minutes after I beat a blown 98' Cobra from a dig, and this is when I was running 12.50's. I kept trying to race this DSM from stoplight to stoplight, but he wouldn't do it. Finally we got on a straight and I was at 40 or so and he got next to me and nailed it. I followed suit and lost by about 1 car to the next light. He had a liscense plate that read "BOOSTD". I then knew why he would not race me from a dig. I talked to him later and he had a HUGE turbo that would only spool under load(35-40) and that happened to be my weakest spot. Oh well. He won, I lost.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There's nothing wrong with losing to a built DSM. They can be extremely quick.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Just rode in my friend Kyles car tonight..FWD 2G Talon. Freaking sweet...it was raining out so traction was ...a joke. You could feel it spool but by the time he had touched the gas the front tires were already spinning.

Thats one thing that my Z did very well..once I was in 2nd gear I could go WOT and not lose traction.. (RE930 Potenzas. ) I cant wait to ride in it on dry pavement..maybe once the Z is running again we can go from a roll on.