Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.0 vs GTR

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

500 pounds is like a totally differant car. 5 mph faster through the quarter is mind blowingly faster.

thats some bs that people arent claiming this stuff. ive got 100 pounds lost and even that helps me run with cars i shouldnt be able too
Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Im pretty sure im being unimaginative but i cant see how i can lose 400lbs more off this car without making it some kind of stripper car with no interior or ability to have passengers.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 439 Likes on 345 Posts

I've posted lots of pics over the years.
...check them out and let you imagination roam.....lol

I've had guys pm me that has seen them when arguing with some of these 5.0 boys about how gutted these record setting cars are.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
On the flip side there are ways to remove alot of weight and keep a real car. I have dropped a little over 400# of mine and most of you would never know when you looked at it. You could'nt even tell by riding in it. There are other ways to remove weight.
i'm guessing it's all well and good until you're in a 30 mph accident and that thing folds up like an accordian. perhaps i am wrong, but there isn't a lot of **** to pull off these cars without removing items regarding safety, as well.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Big deal... The auto isn't made there and it isn't like the Tremec is American made either... As already stated, the fact the Getrag is made in China has been known for a year and a half now. And for all the banter as to how terrible it is, most are doing just fine. They've certainly managed to survive into the 10's that we know of already.

Nothin' new... Cecil has been known for great times seemingly forever. At least 10years now, it's been "famous" for stellar ET's. Basically the same as ATCO.

I recently read they're finally looking into using the 8spd... THAT would be sweet!

Not to all those who have "all things Mustang" figured out around here... Those haven't quite been able to grasp reality. I've been told it's having to do with their sore asses or something, but Idonno...

I've read that silliness so many times now, I only FEEL like saying, "Hey, DOPEY... PAY ATTENTION!" I usually just let it go altogether though, knowing they generally have a massive mental block and just can't figure it out. It's ALL about a bad tune done by a few guys who wanted to push the envelope and it's clear that most newer 5.0's don't have any such problem. Whatever though, right... You'd think, knowing someone already ran 8's with the damned thing, it isn't simply "popping #8" with bolt on parts plus a tune, as many obviously think.
Glad to see you around again, haven't seen you post as often lately!

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
500lbs huh, thats a shitload of weight dropped.

i consider 500lbs lost as extensive. It should be listed as a mod, especially since 500lbs CAN make a bigger difference than anything you can bolt on to a car thats not nitrous/supercharger/turbo.
X2.
Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
Remember that Chally was on the stock tune. A tune would help greatly especially with the auto trans and stall. And judging by that 60' there's surely more left on the table.

Weight is actually closer 4250. Mine weighed 4461 with me in it. And its 5-speed auto not six.
Holy cripes! I have to admit, some of the ets those are runnning are even more impressive to me now that I know that.
Originally Posted by s346k
i'm guessing it's all well and good until you're in a 30 mph accident and that thing folds up like an accordian. perhaps i am wrong, but there isn't a lot of **** to pull off these cars without removing items regarding safety, as well.
You would think safety would certainly be compromised at those levels.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
Remember that Chally was on the stock tune. A tune would help greatly especially with the auto trans and stall. And judging by that 60' there's surely more left on the table.

Weight is actually closer 4250. Mine weighed 4461 with me in it. And its 5-speed auto not six.
thanks for the clarification on the weight. Ive always thought they were closer to 4250lbs but have seen others on other boards say theyre less than that. Guess it depends on gas,transmission and which side of the fence youre on.

on the tranny, thanks again for the clarification. I thought they went with a new tranny, i see im wrong. anyways im not sure why some of the dodge boys complain about that 5 speed. They have good gearing and from what ive seen, transfer every bit as much power to the wheels (RWHP) as the manual guys do.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I have seen at least 3 5.0s even running with NO SIDE Mirrors or wiper blades. Thats crazy-those guys are very competive with each other

Ohio have seen the C6-believe its black. Have not seen that other 5.0 you posted pics of.

I run my car the same I do on the street-even the jack and spare is in it.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
I have seen at least 3 5.0s even running with NO SIDE Mirrors or wiper blades. Thats crazy-those guys are very competive with each other

Ohio have seen the C6-believe its black. Have not seen that other 5.0 you posted pics of.

I run my car the same I do on the street-even the jack and spare is in it.
Yes it is a black C6. Him and the mustang are friends as well. Both used to have G8's. The guy with the C6 still has the cam only record for his G8. 11.4. Mustang's G8 went 12.1 with bolt ons and a stall. The mustang hasn't been there in least 8 months running.

Also I have no issue really removing some weight out my car now that I bought the wife a new vehicle that can tow mine to and from track. Like mirrors and stuff. I will also be going to a full slick once my DR's are done. This is a reason I want to tow it to track also. Driving 2.5 hours on DR's is ok but will not drive that far on full slicks. And just to lazy to drive to track then switch.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Teching In

I was stating that the weight reduction done to the charger brought it from 4400 to 3900. However 3900 is still not great...thats heavy.

on a side note that 392 that just went 11.8 had very few mods, Intake, Catback etc with a stock tune. Dodge detuned it from 525 to 470 so I imagine with a tune it will bump it back up close to that.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 439 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k
You would be wrong. My car still has all the bracing/foam/inner bumber stuff.....the windsheild washer is still there. I've seen cars where that stuff is removed. That looks scary to me.

Like Mike I run mine at the track the way I drive it on the street. I do have different set-ups that I drive on now like a set of winter wheels, a set of 18's that it spends most of it's time on and Bogart drag type wheels.

To me taking off mirrors, wipers and whatever else to get a number out of your car is just dumb. I used to race karts some and even in the amatuer classes guys would be using **** like tire warmers....all for a trophy. Goin to those kind of extremes takes the fun out of it for me.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 12-14-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
I was stating that the weight reduction done to the charger brought it from 4400 to 3900. However 3900 is still not great...thats heavy.

on a side note that 392 that just went 11.8 had very few mods, Intake, Catback etc with a stock tune. Dodge detuned it from 525 to 470 so I imagine with a tune it will bump it back up close to that.
Agree still heavy but still a lot lighter then stock.

as far as the challenger that went 11.8 thought it had a TC also? That could help a lot. Not as much as would with a tune but still help indeed. The new chally's are strong running car. Just not worth the 46K+ to me. The one I seen at the dealer was 54k. The Ford dealer down the road has a Boss for 41K and a GT500 for 53K. Then the Chevy dealer has a C6GS for 59K. BUt think the vette sold. They still have the Z06 with the Z07 package for 77k. Its new(2011) just hasn't sold.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
You would be wrong. My car still has all the bracing/foam/inner bumber stuff.....the windsheild washer is still there. I've seen cars where that stuff is removed. That looks scary to me.

Like Mike I run mine at the track the way I drive it on the street. I do have different set-ups that I drive on now like a set of winter wheels, a set of 18's that it spends most of it's time on and Bogart drag type wheels.

To me taking off mirrors, wipers and whatever else to get a number out of your car is just dumb. I used to race karts some and even in the amatuer classes guys would be using **** like tire warmers....all for a trophy. Goin to those kind of extremes takes the fun out of it for me.
Agree. Less going for a certain time I would not go that far.

I have some weight reduction. Besides no back seats and the Hood(saved 8lbs liked look better) you wouldn't even know it. Which my back seats never gets used anyway. If need the room we take the wife's new 4runner. Plus the 4runner is nicer. Its got all the fancy crap on it...LOL
Old 12-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6

55hp from just a tune, youre crazy. If the tune was THAT off those cars probably wouldnt even be able to pass smog.im sure theres power to be gained from a tune but you have to remember that cars today have to meet stringent emissions requirements. A 55hp difference would mean the stock tune had the car running like ****!
Also, how are you so sure they braught the power down from 525 with the tune alone and not by changing the cam or intake manifold or exhaust? Theres lots of ways they could have acheived it, besides 525 hp was just speculation for the challenger, obviously not confirmed
Old 12-14-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

55hp from just a tune, youre crazy. If the tune was THAT off those cars probably wouldnt even be able to pass smog.im sure theres power to be gained from a tune but you have to remember that cars today have to meet stringent emissions requirements. A 55hp difference would mean the stock tune had the car running like ****!
Also, how are you so sure they braught the power down from 525 with the tune alone and not by changing the cam or intake manifold or exhaust? Theres lots of ways they could have acheived it, besides 525 hp was just speculation for the challenger, obviously not confirmed
agreed, 30 to 40 hp would be more believable.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

let me know what you get on that dyno killemall...i'm wondering myself now as well...
Old 12-15-2011, 04:00 AM
Teching In

I ment 525 with the other mods like CAI and exhaust. Livernois Motorsports gained like 30+rwhp with a intake and dyno tune on the 6.1, the 6.4 has a even more restricted tune.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:01 AM
Launching!

Gotta agree with a few here. I run mine through the quarter the same as I drive everyday.

11. 5 at 125 off a 1.9 60 foot with 486 sae..

Sure I could take my rear psi from 30 to 24 psi warm and get a deep 11 off a 1.7 60 foot (nitto invois) but I dont drive around at 24 psi. I drive around at 30 psi so thats the way I drag it.

I CANSEE FOLDING IN YOUR MIRRORS FOR A FEW HUNDRETHS BUT REMOVEING THEM AND THE WIPERSPLUS 400 OTHER POUNDS AND THEN GUNNING FOR THE STOCK OR STOCKISH RECORD IS JUST INSANE!

yea she went 11.6 at 118 mph off a 1.5 60 foot and 400 pounds removed. But the way she is right now how I daily drive is 12.2 at 114 mph.

Lol
Old 12-15-2011, 04:05 AM
Launching!

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 41863nj
let me know what you get on that dyno killemall...i'm wondering myself now as well...

Haveing badluck. Loud ticking from valvetrain with flames from exhaust. Dyno this saturday if problems are resolved..

Focking socks
Old 12-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Launching!

What a relief. Just a loose spark plug wire. running like a raped ape now
Old 12-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Killemall
What a relief. Just a loose spark plug wire. running like a raped ape now
What kind of #s do you expect on Sat?