Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.0 vs GTR

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Why, so it'll be easier for you to kiss his *** once you cross the finish line in 2nd place?

At some point, everyone interested in running their best ET will change OUT of pure manual shifting, be it to an auto, or something like a Liberty or an air shifted setup... Manuals are great... for reading how to put it back together the 1st few times...
I take it yours came with the free matching skirt too! Oh wait nevermind, they should really make one of these smilies for you auto guys, with grandma behind the wheel with a blank look on her face with no movement of the shifter and both hands on the wheel!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
How much boost? I have still yet to see some good videos with it in action
12.5ish psi. There shall be videos. Me and redctsv were trying to get something together, but the weather and availability didn't work out
Originally Posted by redctsv
It should be mandatory if you buy an auto, that it comes with a matching skirt too!
Dan, is that why you want to run me so bad to see if I show up wearing a skirt? I had no idea.

I had considered switching out for a t56, but for the route I was going it made more sense to keep the auto since they work so well for turbo applications. Next car will have a man pedal for sure.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Those of us with autos still shift. In cases like mine, with reverse valve body set ups, we've got no choice but to choose the gear used. It simply boils down to the fact that the quickest man on planet earth cannot manually shift well enough to consistently outperform a well done automatic. I've had both in the otherwise same car and the auto simply does a better job.

It doesn't matter how manly one gets to feel because of his manual transmission or otherwise. In the end, he LOSES because he made the incorrect choice for race day. I don't wanna be that guy saying, "Yeah, I just had my manly *** handed to me on the track, but at least I rowed the gears while watching the quicker car cross the finish line!"

Bottom line: The quickest cars at the drag strip aren't actually manually shifted. Call me a girl, grandma, woman... I don't care because you're most likely saying it while sitting in the driver seat of the car that just lost...
Old 12-21-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Meh, I prefer my auto around town anyways.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

My Fox body gained 7 tenths going to an auto and became much easier and less violent on the launch. Ill take the skirt trans anyday or the week at the track or street racing

For a turbo car like Ohio its a no brainer. Easier on the drivetrain,can build boost at idle,no lost boost on the shifts. His car will go much faster with the queer steer and go trans for sure.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by willizm
12.5ish psi. There shall be videos. Me and redctsv were trying to get something together, but the weather and availability didn't work out

Dan, is that why you want to run me so bad to see if I show up wearing a skirt? I had no idea.

I had considered switching out for a t56, but for the route I was going it made more sense to keep the auto since they work so well for turbo applications. Next car will have a man pedal for sure.
Ohh god no i rather take a red hot poker to the eyes!
Originally Posted by It'llrun
Those of us with autos still shift. In cases like mine, with reverse valve body set ups, we've got no choice but to choose the gear used. It simply boils down to the fact that the quickest man on planet earth cannot manually shift well enough to consistently outperform a well done automatic. I've had both in the otherwise same car and the auto simply does a better job.

It doesn't matter how manly one gets to feel because of his manual transmission or otherwise. In the end, he LOSES because he made the incorrect choice for race day. I don't wanna be that guy saying, "Yeah, I just had my manly *** handed to me on the track, but at least I rowed the gears while watching the quicker car cross the finish line!"

Bottom line: The quickest cars at the drag strip aren't actually manually shifted. Call me a girl, grandma, woman... I don't care because you're most likely saying it while sitting in the driver seat of the car that just lost...
Ive been in a few fast autos, to be honest i find them to be down right boring. Also it takes absolutely no drivers skill at all to run an auto(Im sure it does the faster you go but no where near as complicate and driver oriented as a manual). Manuals have been driven down the 1/4 well in to the 7's. If you perfer an auto thats up to you, but I always hear the same thing here repeated for low 10 sec/9high sec cars(hell even for cars running much slower) is "Is if you want to go fast get an auto blah blah blah( I take it as i cant drive worth a damn, and my hanidcapped *** needs the job to be done for me") while that me be true if you are going sub 9's and want to be really fast and consistent. But i myself with always prefer to run a manual as its just 100 times more fun! I see having to depend on an auto just like the honda and the special olympics jokes, even if they still win they are still retarded!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Ohio has a blower...
Old 12-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Ohh god no i rather take a red hot poker to the eyes!

Ive been in a few fast autos, to be honest i find them to be down right boring. Also it takes absolutely no drivers skill at all to run an auto(Im sure it does the faster you go but no where near as complicate and driver oriented as a manual). Manuals have been driven down the 1/4 well in to the 7's. If you perfer an auto thats up to you, but I always hear the same thing here repeated for low 10 sec/high sec cars is "Is if you want to go fast get an auto blah blah blah( I take it as i cant drive worth a damn, and my hanidcapped *** needs the job to be done for me" while that me be true if you are going sub 9's and want to be really fast and consistent. But i myself with always prefer to run a manual as its just 100 times more fun! I see having to depend on an auto just like the honda and the special olympics jokes, even if they still win they still retarded!
if you want to challenge yourself and prefer excitement over results so much why dont you just go out and stick the smallest tire possible on your car?

you make driving a manual car seem a lot more difficult than it really is, almost to the point of complaining/excuse making.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NY02ws6
Ohio has a blower...
No dip... Really?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
My Fox body gained 7 tenths going to an auto and became much easier and less violent on the launch. Ill take the skirt trans anyday or the week at the track or street racing

For a turbo car like Ohio its a no brainer. Easier on the drivetrain,can build boost at idle,no lost boost on the shifts. His car will go much faster with the queer steer and go trans for sure.
Ohio has a blower...
Get it now? I forgot to quote the other post...
Old 12-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Haha now now you twothats just arbitrary details nothing to fight over
Old 12-21-2011, 11:00 AM
9 Second Club

+1.

Originally Posted by 02ws.sik
No dip... Really?
Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
if you want to challenge yourself and prefer excitement over results so much why dont you just go out and stick the smallest tire possible on your car?

you make driving a manual car seem a lot more difficult than it really is, almost to the point of complaining/excuse making.
That is just plain stupid! I want a challenge that provides excitement, hence why i choose the manual. Ive never said it was more difficult, i said it takes much more driver involvement and is way more fun to drive. It you auto guys that make it seem that driving a manual is similar to trying to be good at quantum physics.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It you auto guys that make it seem that driving a manual is similar to trying to be good at quantum physics.
This is very true.

I had an auto but I know how to rip some gears as well, I'm not scared of any gear box!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Launching!

... It you auto guys that make it seem that driving a manual is similar to trying to be good at quantum physics.
can you use quotes to support your statement that we compare driving an automatic to quantum physics? You're the one who came in complaining about having to use a clutch pedal and talking down on people who drive autos and comparing it to wearing skirts because they tend to be easier to launch and drive. Using your same exact logic: large tires, AWD, less weight, sway bars and other similar things are also equal to skirt wearing because without them the car would be more difficult to handle, hence, more driver involvement.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Teching In

That is just plain stupid! I want a challenge that provides excitement, hence why i choose the manual. Ive never said it was more difficult, i said it takes much more driver involvement and is way more fun to drive. It you auto guys that make it seem that driving a manual is similar to trying to be good at quantum physics.
thats funny, cause half the guys i know that have autos can shift a manual better than most of the guys i know with 6 speeds.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
can you use quotes to support your statement that we compare driving an automatic to quantum physics? You're the one who came in complaining about having to use a clutch pedal and talking down on people who drive autos and comparing it to wearing skirts because they tend to be easier to launch and drive. Using your same exact logic: large tires, AWD, less weight, sway bars and other similar things are also equal to skirt wearing because without them the car would be more difficult to handle, hence, more driver involvement.
I dont need quotes, legit proof or anything similar to that! This is SR&K the only proof I need is what i say/believe ! I said you auto guys make it seem like driving a MANUAL is similar to being good at quatum physics( I.E. that its too difficult). I never complained about using a clutch pedal or how its too difficult to operate. i said i prefer a car with the 3rd pedal. Yes its pretty obvious that it is way easier to drive an auto than a manual. Im not talking down, but rather making fun of as i dont see the point of having an auto sports car( The main reason why it make my decision easier to get the Z06 over the GTR). What ever floats your boat of what you consider "skirt mandatory" is fine by me.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:29 PM
9 Second Club

Different strokes from different folks. I miss driving manual and it's not that it's difficult and hard. It's just more involved and takes some work to race with them proficiently. I have it easy. Converter unlocked, foot on throttle, keep it straight. I only raced my g37 6speed a couple of times and it was really fun to bang off shifts.

Dan you just jealous cause you can't look as good as us auto guys in a skirt.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

My G8 was auto and while it was fast it lacked the fun factor on the street. I didn't have a stall in it. So with the stang I choose to get the manual. And I actually never planned on going as far as I have with this car. Planned on bolt ons and that was it. Now once I get where I want to just drag the car and less street with it I will make a choice. Either swap to an auto or return the car to stock and trade for a auto.(I have kept all stock parts)

Also My tuner talked with Jon Lund today. We shoudl have the driveablilty issues fixed with a couple data logs and changes with Jons help. He is the GURU with these cars.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by willizm
Different strokes from different folks. I miss driving manual and it's not that it's difficult and hard. It's just more involved and takes some work to race with them proficiently. I have it easy. Converter unlocked, foot on throttle, keep it straight. I only raced my g37 6speed a couple of times and it was really fun to bang off shifts.

Dan you just jealous cause you can't look as good as us auto guys in a skirt.
Damn you Will how did you figure it out!!!!!