Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.0 vs GTR

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by willizm
Different strokes from different folks. I have it easy. Converter unlocked, foot on throttle, keep it straight.
I personally never really had the opportunity to "master" the stick shift as I have never owned one. I can drive dad's M5 Solstice GXP and a friend's 00 SS SLP just fine but have never really desired to own one. Fun to drive, but auto is just that much easier to be consistent at the track and when it comes to high hp builds, it is generally cheaper to do auto.

Buddy is building a 402 LS2 with a 91mm and is doing a 4l80e as building the t56 for the power he is looking at will be a nice penny
Old 12-21-2011, 03:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even then a built t56 will not hold the power a built auto will. No trans Is bulletproof at higher horsepower levels, but a built 4l80e will hold up much longer than a built t56. I enjoy driving my stalled auto car but I'd enjoy banging the gears again and having a different type of enjoyment. If I build another straighline car it will probably be a Maggie or whipple 6speed.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redctsv
Ohh god no i rather take a red hot poker to the eyes!

Ive been in a few fast autos, to be honest i find them to be down right boring. Also it takes absolutely no drivers skill at all to run an auto(Im sure it does the faster you go but no where near as complicate and driver oriented as a manual). Manuals have been driven down the 1/4 well in to the 7's. If you perfer an auto thats up to you, but I always hear the same thing here repeated for low 10 sec/9high sec cars(hell even for cars running much slower) is "Is if you want to go fast get an auto blah blah blah( I take it as i cant drive worth a damn, and my hanidcapped *** needs the job to be done for me") while that me be true if you are going sub 9's and want to be really fast and consistent. But i myself with always prefer to run a manual as its just 100 times more fun! I see having to depend on an auto just like the honda and the special olympics jokes, even if they still win they are still retarded!
I really don't see what's "100 times more fun" about driving a manual? Spilling coffee all over my lap and ******' around jerking a stick isn't really all that fun imo . I use mine as a dd and me and my gal just love cruising around. I don't see why all the hate for an auto, it's personal preference and in some people's case (more often than not) an ego thing...imo!

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
if you want to challenge yourself and prefer excitement over results so much why dont you just go out and stick the smallest tire possible on your car?

you make driving a manual car seem a lot more difficult than it really is, almost to the point of complaining/excuse making.
x2

can you use quotes to support your statement that we compare driving an automatic to quantum physics? You're the one who came in complaining about having to use a clutch pedal and talking down on people who drive autos and comparing it to wearing skirts because they tend to be easier to launch and drive. Using your same exact logic: large tires, AWD, less weight, sway bars and other similar things are also equal to skirt wearing because without them the car would be more difficult to handle, hence, more driver involvement.
You're just mad because you can't have "fun" while driving. Oh wait, you CAN have fun WHILE driving if you're in an auto (just bring your girl along-no?). I guess it's not as fun as playin' with a stick though lol
Old 12-22-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a thread you guys might enjoy, read through all of it as there are multiple blown new Mustangs in the 9's in this post.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=432733
Old 12-22-2011, 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13yVmeaHjCI

This is a bone stock 2011 Mustang GT with a custom twin turbo setup designed and tuned by Jon Lund, Jake Long and Ken Bjonnes. For these runs the car has the stock suspension except lowering springs, stock gear, stock torque converter. And it's stock weight plus the weight of the turbo system.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13yVmeaHjCI

This is a bone stock 2011 Mustang GT with a custom twin turbo setup designed and tuned by Jon Lund, Jake Long and Ken Bjonnes. For these runs the car has the stock suspension except lowering springs, stock gear, stock torque converter. And it's stock weight plus the weight of the turbo system.
This is on low boost, these were shakedown passes.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 439 Likes on 345 Posts

I stopped watching when the mod list said race gas.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
It went 10.5's with 8lbs boost and 93 pump gas right after got there.Wait till it has a stall and goes 9's and built engine and goes 8's at full weight of 3800+lbs. The 10lbs and race gas was done after getting there. 10.53@133 to be exact on 8lbs and 93.

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
This is on low boost, these were shakedown passes.
Ya I am tracking. I have talked to Ken plenty and Jon is now involved in tuning my car.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Not much difference between MS109 and e85
Old 12-22-2011, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

You have to remember running E85 in anything makes it a race car to him. Even if it is a silver ado 4x4 able to run it.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compression so high id be scared to run anything else on 10 psi
Old 12-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
You have to remember running E85 in anything makes it a race car to him. Even if it is a silver ado 4x4 able to run it.
anything thats not 87-89-91 is considered a "specialty" car in my book as well.sorry. We dont even get 93 here.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:08 PM
***Repost Police***

93 octane is premium gas here, and they made Taurus and Suburban models (as well as many others) that were designed to run on E85 from the factory. And with the plethora of gas stations around here that sell E85, I can't think of it as anything other than really good pump gas.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:58 AM
TECH Addict

Oh... Well that's all good, but at the track, do you just stop racing when the other car smokes you?

PS.... In case you didn't know, that car ran much quicker than yours at about 1,000 lb heavier and it didn't get a face plated trans OR a total engine transplant along the way!

Doesn't matter to him(and a few others). Once they can say it wasn't 91, it's somehow "unfair" to the rest of us. In reality, it's simply safer to use that fuel and if they had no concerns about detonation, they'd run 87 octane and call it a day.

anything thats not 87-89-91 is considered a "specialty" car in my book as well.sorry. We dont even get 93 here.
Well la di da... You can't get it so the rest of the country is supposed to hold back and not use it???? C'mon...

93 is as commonly available across most of the USA as is 89 and more common than 91.

Still can't be deemed race gas. For goodness sake, it's almost everywhere EXCEPT crappy-*** CA... Where the boneheads running things seem to think 93 is more dangerous than 91 is more dangerous than 89 is more dangerous than 87... It ALL burns!

E85 is a joke for regular use, but it does work well for racing. The IDIOTS who forced said E85 upon Americans had NO idea this would happen or you can believe, they'd never have approved that drastically stupid program!!!

Race gas is race gas, but it's hardly legitimate to say it's not fair to use. PARTICULARLY when we're talking about a car that actually does drive on the street WITHOUT race gas and manages 10's like that one... It's just a cool car with exceedingly little done to it, but really runs well. KUDOS to those guys for the outstanding effort on STOCK engine components!
Old 12-23-2011, 04:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Well la di da... You can't get it so the rest of the country is supposed to hold back and not use it???? C'mon...
im not saying the rest of the people have to run it, but in my mind an asterisk is applied to whatever car doesnt use real pump gas 87-89-91
Old 12-23-2011, 05:37 AM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Real pump gas is able to purchased at the pumps at a majority of gas stations. Here I can get 93 and E85 at most gas stations. Can't find your junk *** 91 though.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:20 AM
10 Second Club

im not saying the rest of the people have to run it, but in my mind an asterisk is applied to whatever car doesnt use real pump gas 87-89-91-93
This......Helped ya with it a little.

We all know what pump gas is. That's why guys list e-85 as a mod. E-85 is not as common or even availible everywhere like some of you think. I'm not sure why some parts of the country only has 89....or at least used to be like that when I traveled alot.

I can't help you guys get all butt hurt about the facts.....sure would'nt be a first for that.
Have you ever heard of the PUMP GAS DRAGS??? They don't run e-85, or 109.

And it'llrun. I would hope a 32v aftermarket supercharged race gas tuned engine could outrun my production engine. Although I'm not so sure they will my next production engine.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 12-23-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Your logic fails. You agree with him pump gas is what's available at the pump but add 93, which isn't available to him and call it pump gas. So by your logic e85 IS pump gas since its readily available to many of us. By your alls logic I should consider cars on 91 "specialty" cars.

Cliffs- according to ls1tech pumpgas is what's available at the pump, 93, e85 and 110 are all race gas.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:14 AM
10 Second Club

93 is availible all up and down the east coast and into the mid west. Higher altitudes they drop the octane. Stop being dumb and making excuses. When some one runs a number and they say they did it on pumpgas we all know waht that means.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Launching!

93 is availible all up and down the east coast and into the mid west. Higher altitudes they drop the octane. Stop being dumb and making excuses. When some one runs a number and they say they did it on pumpgas we all know waht that means.
I'm being dumb? You're the one claiming pumpgas is only what's available at YOUR pump. As of a year ago e85 was available at over 2600 stations and in 44 states yet you claim its not pump gas. How many states don't have 93?

Edit- its now over 2800 stations.

http://e85prices.com/