Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2000 SS VS 05 OR 06 stang....won but not by how much i would liked

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
We want you to learn how to mod a car. You dont add a mid/large sized cam to a car with stock manifolds.
Agreed. You need to do supporting mods if you are going to put ANY mid/large cam on a stock short block car. I'm scared to even ask what valvetrain is on the said car right now...

But yes, a good tune would work. But FIRST, add longtubes, an off-road y-pipe, don't need a catback as I assume you have the slp dual-duals. What gears do you have? I'm assuming you went with 3.73's, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm hoping you bought the car this way? Just don't understand why somebody would spend the money to mod and cam a car when they could have spent less money on longtubes and an ory and be better off
Old 04-20-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

first off, i didnt do a huge cam and expect huge results with stock exhaust.....i did the cam first, simply because i wanted to........does it harm the engine by putting a big cam and springs without having supporting mods? no. it just makes the cam not perform aswell........i am doing headers and exhaust in about a month orso.....yea i did it backwards, but so what. as stated in my post, i have 342s, and by the end of august hopefullyill have the money for a midwest 9 inch........i posted because i felt like i should have pulled on him harder.....in about a month or so i should have the money for the clutch and headers
Old 04-20-2012, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Well he got the jump, a large lead, and your car is setup very poorly.

Also, with that cam and stock exhaust I bet you are actually closer to 340-350rwhp than your 370rwhp guess. You are giving the cam too much credit on stock exhaust...you even said it doesn't feel much faster. That's because it isn't. You would feel a 50+rwhp gain. The cam's job is to let the engine breathe and the stock manifolds/exhaust are enough to choke a stock car.

There's a reason people gain 25-30rwhp on a stock car from those mods. A guy I know had stock manifolds into 3"duals with a 228/228 cam and still gained over 3mph in the 1/8th mile with ebay headers.

It's also possible he is a better driver than you.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

aight.......i lost the guys number....id like to go from a dig and rematch him and see what happens
Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would do the headers and off-road-y before a rear, but it is your money.. spend it how you please
Old 04-20-2012, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by F-Body_4_Life
Mustangs are just fast like that..

I seriously just LoL'ed. Didn't expect that as a response
Old 04-20-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
I would do the headers and off-road-y before a rear, but it is your money.. spend it how you please
i belive i said headers in a month and rear by the end of summer
Old 04-20-2012, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Floorman279
no it has been tuned since the cam swap......so with the slp flowpac, flowmaster muffler, and smooth bellow, i made 317 on a dynojet.....i figure after the cam and intake, i should be around 370 or so...which is a 100 hp difference than thestang, so i just thought i shoulda caught him more......maybe i should try racing him and actually go on the 3rd honk.........
You wont make those kinda gains on a cam and intake. Even on a Dynojet.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jasongantt
headers and high flow cats will do you a world of change....and you'll feel it. especially with intake and cam already done.
Nope that's not the problem, plenty of stout setups with stock mans. trust me.

Originally Posted by Floorman279
so i have an m6 stock clutch, tranny, suspension, and gears......cammed 236 238 on a 112 lsa......has the slp flowpac kit, and also has an ls6 intake.....completely stock exhaust and manifolds.........dont have the money for an ory and headers.....but soon....anyway a guy i know has a 4.6, stick and only has a catback.......got out on the highway and gues he neverraced before because while driving, tried explaining to go on three honks, but then started pulling ahead when we didnt even honk....i was like wtf.....we were rolling at 40, and turns out he thought i said put it in third and go......so hes in third and after he was about 80 feet ahead of me i just gunned it......i didnt even start to catch him til i was doing like 100.....so i pass him when im doing 130 and then i let off......just thought mycar had a tougher time catching him than it should have........is the fact that i have stock manifolds really choking this carabove 5000 rpms? i mean after the cam and intake swap, thecar doesnt feel that much faster.....if i got headers and ditched the cats will it totally wake the car up?
It will, but not to that degree...

Originally Posted by F-Body_4_Life
Mustangs are just fast like that..
L O L
Originally Posted by 2SSARME
lol a 4.6 is like the slowest v8 ever.

def. something wrong with your setup.
Hey! no no, he just needs headers
Old 04-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by itsslow98
We want you to learn how to mod a car. You dont add a mid/large sized cam to a car with stock manifolds and expect it to make huge power.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know about that one....seems like the cheatr cam is considered medium sized, and it's done well. Pat g spec made over 400 at teh wheels with stock manifolds and through an auto...
Old 05-01-2012, 05:23 AM
Staging Lane

Well, my friend used to own a 07 vette C6
Intake + exhaust cutout + dyno tuned by an experienced tuner using HP

We raced several cars such as R8, Carrera 4s, GT3-RS and we won in all

After installing headers, the way that vette pulled was amazing. Headers will really impress u more than u expect.

We raced porsches and R8's after installing headers. And they couldn't stand a chance.

Bottom line, install headers do a proper tune and race those mustang from dig in reverse.

U can search on youtube for (corvette C6 vs Audi R8) and u'll c
Old 05-02-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bahrain z28
Well, my friend used to own a 07 vette C6
Intake + exhaust cutout + dyno tuned by an experienced tuner using HP

We raced several cars such as R8, Carrera 4s, GT3-RS and we won in all

After installing headers, the way that vette pulled was amazing. Headers will really impress u more than u expect.

We raced porsches and R8's after installing headers. And they couldn't stand a chance.

Bottom line, install headers do a proper tune and race those mustang from dig in reverse.

U can search on youtube for (corvette C6 vs Audi R8) and u'll c
Oh there is absolutely no doubt about the gains in performance going with a nice set of lts. I was just saying that there are some real stout setups sans headers, ask some Cali guys. Otherwise, agreed
Old 05-02-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Who tuned your car????
Check for pushrod length when doing the cam?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think I would bother with that particular cam without the long tubes and good dyno tune by a reputable shop. Something just seems wrong with that setup, and it probably has a lot to do with the tune...like questioned above. I wonder how flat his face is from falling on it....? I'd bet good money that with the right amount of roller time (some street tuning would undoubtedly help as well) and some pacesetters he'd be tapping into a lot of otherwise unusable power. Maybe the rev limit isn't where it should be either. Now it just sounds like I'm making excuses for the fbody
Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 AM
TECH Junkie

it has been street tuned btw
Old 05-03-2012, 03:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep, with that big of a cam on stock manifolds and exhaust, its choking itself. It can't breathe.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oddwraith
I don't know about that one....seems like the cheatr cam is considered medium sized, and it's done well. Pat g spec made over 400 at teh wheels with stock manifolds and through an auto...
What are the cam specs on the cheatr cam, it is speced for manifolds specifically isnt it.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't know the exact specs, you'd have to look 'em up. But ya, it's a cam designed exclusively for stock manifolds...Pat G has a few good grinds too...
Old 05-13-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

update.....just got some stepped headers on there, true 2.5 dual no cats, and wow, the car feels completely different.....didnt know exhaust choked the car that much........much faster

Quick Reply: 2000 SS VS 05 OR 06 stang....won but not by how much i would liked