Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Z28 LS1 vs 2013 Mustang 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camaro was the winner here but those 5.0 are healthy, wonder if this is how the 99-04 mustang crew felt against stock LS1 camaros haha
Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the camaro have an extra passenger? They both looked pretty evenly matched, but hard to tell for sure. I'd say if the equal passengers the GM would have a slight edge.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by willizm
Did the camaro have an extra passenger? They both looked pretty evenly matched, but hard to tell for sure. I'd say if the equal passengers the GM would have a slight edge.
Yes. friend of ours was filming in the z28. as for the intake/tune on the 5.0 will beat this car? irrelevant this z is getting heads and a nasty cam soon.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:27 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by f1ctionZ28
Yes. friend of ours was filming in the z28. as for the intake/tune on the 5.0 will beat this car? irrelevant this z is getting heads and a nasty cam soon.
I would like to see your H/C setup vs his full bolt on 5.0. That would make for a good race but you'd get the edge I'd think.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

why don't you guys start in 1st gear at a 10 mpg roll. I would think running 1st to 4th would be more fun than 3rd to 5th. nice evenly matched cars.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bongva
good runs man! those new 5.0's are no joke!
Can't beat a 98 with minor bolt ons.... Seems like a joke to me!

Good run OP, finally something that can run and out run ls1's after so many years
Old 04-25-2012, 12:06 PM
9 Second Club

More mods+more cubes and not pulling away. Don't see the funny.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

No you got it all wrong, its not that the ls1 need mods, its more like the new 5.0s need more than hype to win a fight!
Trust me i fell for all the hype about them too! I knew they were supposed to be mid 12 cars, but after all the stock 5.0s are pulling h/c/i ls1s stories that kept popping up i really wanted to run one to see what it can really do. When i went to the drag strip one day my friend who went with me who is a big mustang fan was all excited to see the 5.0 in action. when i lined up with it at the track stock for stock, i will admit i was excited to see what the 5.0 can do. I mean come on this thing is supposed to whoop on h/c/i ls1s. After dragging it down the track quite easily, i was a bit disappointed as they are a lot slower than they are made out to be. Oh i did make fun of my friend after i whooped his beloved mustang.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:25 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by redctsv
No you got it all wrong, its not that the ls1 need mods, its more like the new 5.0s need more than hype to win a fight!
Trust me i fell for all the hype about them too! I knew they were supposed to be mid 12 cars, but after all the stock 5.0s are pulling h/c/i ls1s stories that kept popping up i really wanted to run one to see what it can really do. When i went to the drag strip one day my friend who went with me who is a big mustang fan was all excited to see the 5.0 in action. when i lined up with it at the track stock for stock, i will admit i was excited to see what the 5.0 can do. I mean come on this thing is supposed to whoop on h/c/i ls1s. After dragging it down the track quite easily, i was a bit disappointed as they are a lot slower than they are made out to be. Oh i did make fun of my friend after i whooped his beloved mustang.
Hype or not they are good for mid to low 13 seconds stock, just like an fbody. I'm not saying they are 12 second beasts, but they aren't exactly 14sec slugs either. It seems as though guys around here side with them being one of the other, but I think they are in that middle ground of reality.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VerdeZ28
last night, yeah on US-27. we do these things on monday nights since there are no police and the road is basically all ours
lol i was actually thinking about going but since everyone goes out to Betty's burgers i was like okee is gonna be dead (**** betty's burgers). Best time to get private runs in though. Good runs!

Who cares about cubes. Its a 2013 car rated at high 3's to the wheel VS a car from the late 90s with bolt ons and rated at low 3's to the wheel. I was expecting the 5.0 to pull.

Last edited by adamantium; 04-25-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redctsv

Hell yeah, only on the internet do those 5.0's really run decent. It's just a internet scam by Mustang owners to fool LS1 owners into being scared of them. In real life they run the same as the 2005-2010 3V cars.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The new 5.0's to me are hella fast bone stock. I was able to barely pull on one and im full bolt ons. I did have almost another run with a 5.0 last night but the guy was just straight up stupid. Would just gun it with no warning and pick up his cell phone when i pull next to him pretending he was talking. After 3-4 times of this BS i just exited since i missed it and was willing to do a quick run with one if he was down.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

So the 98 camaro (w/passenger) was pulling a mustang that made 30rwhp more. How is this not a victory for GM and the camaro driver?

98 Z28, clear winner.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by itsslow98
tune/intake and re-run, bet he puts two cars on you.
Agreed. That vid went down exactly like I thought it would. Good representing for the LS1 fbody crowd! Tell your buddy to get a dyno tune that gets rid of all the computer nannies taking power away at the shifts and he will put a couple cars on you. Not by any means a 5.0 nutswinger, but it's simply the truth: 5.0's act like damn turbo cars with how much speed they pick up with a basic tune.

Most importantly though: tell me what radios you are using and what it takes to use them like that! That's friggin awesome and I WANT IT!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^on my camaro i hook up to my phone with the headphone or aux port then the tape into the tape deck and i have bluetooth and can listen to songs using the phone. I can talk to my friends on my cars speakers through the radio. We do that when we race as well which makes it easier to communicate instead of yelling or we cant hear each others honks since our cars are loud.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Put a 502 BB with a 102 MM turbo and put a few cars on the 5.0!!!!!

Sorry some of the other posts sounded dumb like that. Good kill.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Banned

I don't know why everyone is so surprised at your LS1 Camaro taking him out. A practically full bolt on LS1 doesn't run just mid to high 12's. They are low to mid 12 cars on average. The 5.0's are mid to high 12 second cars, and give the Camaro the weight advantage, being 200 lbs less and who do you think is going to win?

It's too bad it was night footage, some nice daytime footage would be nice. And I know you said your tires are bad, but I would have also liked to have seen some races from a dig.

Seems like driver error was kind of a big deal on the Mustang's end too, he missed 5th, twice...in a row. Makes me wonder if he was slow shifting or floating between gears too long, and if he left any of the extra features on that sometimes reduce power in these newer 'Stangs.

Driver error, traction control on, and another feature that reduces power in the 'Stang is how I pulled out two victories against a 2011 5.0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5CXXimZmKI
Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Launching!

the mustang has its stock radio, with the microsoft sync. the camaro has a pioneer 64BT. it has bluetooth and its own microphone. probably the best mod ive ever done to my car lol
Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Agreed. That vid went down exactly like I thought it would. Good representing for the LS1 fbody crowd! Tell your buddy to get a dyno tune that gets rid of all the computer nannies taking power away at the shifts and he will put a couple cars on you. Not by any means a 5.0 nutswinger, but it's simply the truth: 5.0's act like damn turbo cars with how much speed they pick up with a basic tune.

Most importantly though: tell me what radios you are using and what it takes to use them like that! That's friggin awesome and I WANT IT!!!
Description says it is boss tuned and it made 380whp on the dyno so i'd say it has a good tune on it.... Anyway good runs op about what I expected...
Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
Description says it is boss tuned and it made 380whp on the dyno so i'd say it has a good tune on it.... Anyway good runs op about what I expected...
Being there is no Boss tune for a 5.0. I think they said Boss tuned suspesnion also. SO differnet springs/shocks. Also 370whp actually. BAsically what all stock manual 5.0's do. The 2013's gota 8hp increase but have yet to really show it on dyno's or track test.

Give average driver the 5.0 is just like the SS/392 13 sec cars. Just like teh ZR1 I seen with average driver run best of 12.3. Same for the 13 second CTS-V(ZL1).

Good drivers will drive them to middle 12.7-12.9's and great drivers will dip in the 12.5-12.6 area stock. WIth great conditions in weather and driver track prep soem have even seen low 12.2-12.4.

Quick Reply: Z28 LS1 vs 2013 Mustang 5.0