Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cam only LS1 vs 2012 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
The whole point of saying stuff like that is so you don't have to run down all the mods you have. It works because those modding the cars generally have enough sense to do the supporting mods for the cam first. It's rare to find a ls1 with a cam and no headers/lid/exhaust/etc.

I still don't say it that way if I'm not talking to people who are familiar enough with the cars to get it though. That being said, this is a lsx site so it's understood here.

LS1 cars usually are described as: bolt on, full bolt on, cam only, head/cam. Some people also go beyond to head/cam/intake if they have a Fast/vic jr/some other intake which is notably superior to the ls6 intake.
now that i know that, i'll remember it. i was wondering to be honest, as i keep seeing "cam only XX vs full bolt on XX" or something like that. i kept thinking that they were playing hio's word games.

appreciate the explanation sir.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

No problem, I have some other Mustang friends who were confused by it too. I've been seeing ls1 cars described that way since the cars came out and I was on other small town forums.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

I have a 2013 5.0 and a 99 "cam only" trans am. The mustang has a catback and no tune. The trans am makes 389/381 so I think the power should be close but my trans am will pull it. I'm pretty sure after I get the mustang tuned it will be a different story.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds right from here.
Originally Posted by oddwraith
...and again...really? Pretty sure a bolt on a4 will rock a new coyote. Add a cam and it's obviously murder.
From a 40 roll with a passenger and giving up the start? I don't think so.

The 2013 is apparently a bit more powerful than the 11-12 model. Donno which weighs most, so maybe that added power is a wash. Maybe Ford just bumped the advertisement like GM did for the V6 Camaro for 2012. Or did GM make a change with that engine? Doesn't matter, but it may amount to the same thing.

Nope, just cam only. You see in the ls scene, guys don't just slap in a cam without the supporting mods. We're silly like that...
Heh... Of course, the rest of the world doesn't really know that "cam only" means, "cam, plus everything else short of stroking the engine." I've known 2 knuckle-heads who claimed cam only and they had re-worked heads and all.... Some people just don't want to admit what they've done.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Not really but ok..LAst full bolt on Fbody I seen run a stock 5.0 lost over and over at the track. Both on street tires. But never know. I know from aexperiance a full bolt on 02 Ta don't hang at all with a bolt on 5.0. We had a thread that covered that about a year ago. Put a bunch cars on him me spinning. They was buddies. Both averaged 12.7 or above.
Just look at track times (average) for full bolt on (includes stall of course) a4 01/02 ls1 cars and then check out stock 5.0 times (average). You do realize that a full bolt on a4 ls1 consists of full exhaust, ewp, ram air intake (ie: chris 1313 etc.), tuned, pulleys, converter which necessitates drs . Sorry, but yes...really. What you've seen and what exists are not interchangeable imo.

Originally Posted by Heater
In the LS world, "Cam Only" means Cam + Bolt Ons.

I know it isn't correct, but it's what they call it.
It is correct.
Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
The whole point of saying stuff like that is so you don't have to run down all the mods you have. It works because those modding the cars generally have enough sense to do the supporting mods for the cam first. It's rare to find a ls1 with a cam and no headers/lid/exhaust/etc.

I still don't say it that way if I'm not talking to people who are familiar enough with the cars to get it though. That being said, this is a lsx site so it's understood here.

LS1 cars usually are described as: bolt on, full bolt on, cam only, head/cam. Some people also go beyond to head/cam/intake if they have a Fast/vic jr/some other intake which is notably superior to the ls6 intake.
This sounds about right, for anyone who's been here for more than a couple months. Thanks for spoon feeding them good sir
Originally Posted by It'llrun
Sounds right from here. From a 40 roll with a passenger and giving up the start? I don't think so.

The 2013 is apparently a bit more powerful than the 11-12 model. Donno which weighs most, so maybe that added power is a wash. Maybe Ford just bumped the advertisement like GM did for the V6 Camaro for 2012. Or did GM make a change with that engine? Doesn't matter, but it may amount to the same thing.

Heh... Of course, the rest of the world doesn't really know that "cam only" means, "cam, plus everything else short of stroking the engine." I've known 2 knuckle-heads who claimed cam only and they had re-worked heads and all.... Some people just don't want to admit what they've done.
...and don't you start with me now lol. We're talking lingo, not mongo. Jk..
Old 05-15-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

^^
Old 05-15-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, been working midnights...can't keep up with this ****. Respect.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Heater
In the LS world, "Cam Only" means Cam + Bolt Ons.

I know it isn't correct, but it's what they call it.
Cam only also includes the use of a $1500 intake manifold/tb setup. I've never considered the intake manifold to be a bolt on, given the cost and the fact that it's part of the top end of the engine.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FlatBlackZ28
Cam only also includes the use of a $1500 intake manifold/tb setup. I've never considered the intake manifold to be a bolt on, given the cost and the fact that it's part of the top end of the engine.
it's ok.....i got it. cam only means there's a cam other than stock in the engine, and whatever the hell else that the owner doesn't want to tell you about when you're about to race him. i would imagine it's become this way, because if they admitted to having all that stuff, then people wouldn't run them.

Last edited by 1ltcap; 05-15-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FlatBlackZ28
Oh ******' wahhhhh! No one needs a $1500 intake to optimize air intake on a low baller bolted car. Ls6 intake works fine....
Old 05-15-2012, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Oh ******' wahhhhh! No one needs a $1500 intake to optimize air intake on a low baller bolted car. Ls6 intake works fine....
Nobody said you NEEDED one. But a $1500 FAST intake/TB setup is still considered a "bolt on" to most of the LSX community. Does it "bolt on" to the engine? Sure. But so do the heads.

Also, nobody was talking about a bolt on car. We are talking about what is included in "Cam Only".
Old 05-18-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I'll correct. 1500 dollar intake is not usually the norm in a cam only setup, and when it is...it is stated. That's how I see things here and everywhere else. Sorry I misread your post...dick Bolt on is not anything that "bolts on"...I mean come on man, a new engine bolts right in too lol jk.

Quick Reply: Cam only LS1 vs 2012 5.0