Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran into a C5 Z06 and a supercharged Tiburon last night **VIDEOS ADDED**

Old 05-13-2012, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ran into a C5 Z06 and a supercharged Tiburon last night **VIDEOS ADDED**

Hanging out at a gas station with some friends and a black C5 Z06 drives past, so I jump in the G8 and try to chase it down. About a mile down the road I catch up to him at a light and ask the passenger if they are interested in a run. He turns to ask the driver and then says sure, so I tell them to follow me up onto the highway. I had been out looking for some fun, so the bottle was open and ready to rock.

They followed me out and we lined up going about 40 mph. I dropped to second gear and heard them downshift. I gave it a couple seconds just to make sure they were ready and then honked it off. Looked like a clean hit to me, and we hung even for a second and then I started walking out. I think I got out about 1-1/2 cars when we let out for a car up ahead.

We went around the car and cruised up ahead. Once there was some space behind us and no one in front, the Z pulled next to me again so we slowed to about 45 and both downshifted. I again gave it a couple seconds and then honked it off and we hit it. Seemed like a clean starts and we hung together for a second and then I started walking out. Again I believe I put about 1-1/2 cars on him before we let out.

I motioned for them to follow me and headed off the highway to a nearby gas station. They were both real nice guys and we gave each other props on good races. They told me the car rolled out and asked about my mods and to see the setup, which I was happy to oblige. I asked about his mods and he told me it had a cold air intake, canned tune, and drag radials. It was nice to see someone rolling around on sticky tires for once. He said he wants to get headers and a dyno tune and then we can line up again.

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixerDcY7eeQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJw7nzpr2Ls

Here's the car:

While we were talking, a guy in silver Tiburon pulled in. They knew him and told him about the races and he started asking about the car. He asked if I ever race without spraying and I told him absolutely, I try to make it a good race if I can. He asked if I would run his Tiburon and I asked him what was done. He must have been able to tell by the look on my face that I wasn’t interested in a stock Tiburon, because he immediately told me that it had a supercharger. Now my interest was piqued and I asked him to pop the hood. Sure enough there was an Eaton blower sitting under there. I’m not sure what else was done, but I think he said he was running 8 psi.

I asked what speed he wanted and he said he spins down low, and asked for 60 mph. I told him that was the worst possible spot for me and asked if he could do 40. He said he’d spin, so I said what about 50. He said he’d do 50 if I gave him a 60 roll. I figured what the hell, it’s all in good fun, so we headed out. This time there was a passenger in both cars.

Took a minute to find a spot with no traffic, but then we lined up at 50 mph. We both downshifted (me to 2nd gear) and I honked it off. I started walking out and put 2+ cars on him. This is a guess as I wasn’t paying too close attention, but I was walking decently.

We lined up once more, this time going 60 mph. This is about the bottom of 3rd for me. I honked it off and hit it (doesn’t feel like I hit it at that rpm, lol), and he jumped out probably 1-1/2 or 2 cars on me. I stopped his pull and then slowly walked back. I stayed in it until I nosed out on him and then let out.

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJDkt403_XY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WQef...2&feature=plcp

Here's the Tiburon:

We headed back to the gas station and complimented each other’s car, then chatted a bit before heading out. The passenger said he caught all four races in his phone, so if he posts them, I'll post them up here, but I don't have the vids as of yet.

Overall it was a blast, and it’s always nice getting friendly races with people you haven’t met before.

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 05-14-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

lol the look on your face when he asked you to run his tiburon must of been priceless
Old 05-13-2012, 12:17 PM

Lol, in this day and age I don't dismiss any car, but sometimes an attention grabber is needed.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I'm assuming you sprayed on the z0.......and wtf on tiberon. ......I just can't figure out why on that one.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:08 PM

Hells yeah I sprayed him. That would have only gone one way if I tried it on motor

I didn't even know they made blower kits for Tiburons, but it was something I don't see every day so I figured I'd give it a shot.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

I wonder how much power they make with a S/C? I mean to not hook til 50 and 60mph he either has some crappy tires or they make good power
Old 05-13-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there are FI tiburons that still cant break 12s lol. there also front wheel drive that explains the spinning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhYIFW3ywe8
Old 05-13-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

V6 S/Cd and only 221whp? thats pathetic lol and with them being 3000lbs I guess, stock SRT4s and Cobalts would beat that no problem I'd think mine as well just buy one of those instead of modding a Tiburon
Old 05-13-2012, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

Nice kill on the Z, sorry i couldn't make it out last night, wasn't in the cards.

Now that you've had that Nano system for a bit how are you liking it?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Poor tibby

Good stuff as usual!
Old 05-13-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Beans
Nice kill on the Z, sorry i couldn't make it out last night, wasn't in the cards.

Now that you've had that Nano system for a bit how are you liking it?
No worries, the season is young!

I'm loving the Nano. It's awesome not to have to wait for the bottle to heat up, and the bottle seems to last longer. I made three 1/4 mile passes and then the two roll races last night and it seemed just as strong the last run. That's on a shot that makes a 160 rwhp gain. I might weight the bottle tomorrow to see where I'm at.

I did buy a couple cold packs like you'd use for an injury. I freeze them and then wrap them around the nitrous bottle to keep the pressure from going higher than it's supposed to. Much less work than a bottle heater and you can't over cool it.

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 05-13-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 AM

Back to the top with videos.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet that Z06 owner was shocked when the 4-door sedan started walking.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice runs.. i want in... wish i wasnt so damn lazy lately
Old 05-14-2012, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good stuff as usual. Quite an active scene up there it seems.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

good run.ur car runs good
Old 05-19-2012, 11:17 PM

Thanks!

Search this Thread