Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2002 z28, mods to help it hook on the street, performance tweaks

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2002 z28, mods to help it hook on the street, performance tweaks

2002 z28, slp lm, slp cold air kit (cai, lid, bellow), diablo programmer (tuned on a dyno), 2/32-3/32nds left on rear nitto 555r's 305/40/18, slp TC eliminator (for burnouts), new door speakers.

So far I've found it best to hold the brake, then release a half second or less after I mash the pedal, the stock stall is between 1600-1900, so I've tried revving it up to between there, but the tire span more then the original method. **key note: I have never done a burn out with these tires I bought them used, so I don't want to burn them up without good reason (so my findings from the two methods a above may be squwed).

I have considered reving it up to the 2500 rpm range, but due to my stock stall (everything except whats listed above, is stock) I fear I could be stressing my 1st gear a little too much..?

Anyone have any suggestions as far as the launch/takeoff?

Next, a friend of mine had the same car but in stick. He took off his front sway. At and he hooked up a lot better than with it on, any advice/experience with this?

I plan to change my oil tomorrow, I cleaned my air intake, and TB. I plan to remove my spare tire and jack (they will be in a friends car just incase), and unless someone has a reason not to, I'm going to remove my front away bar and see how that works out.

Any other suspension/performance modifications that could help me hook up better/run faster, for one night, on the street.

*any tire pressure recommendations? I will be doing a burnout, on the street, just so u consider that. I plan to put my fronts up to 42 from 39, to reduce traction in the front, worth it? Rear tp?

Thanks, drive safe.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

If anything leave the spare and jack in the car so its more weight in the back. And im no suspension guru but removing the front sway bar shouldent have that much of a affect on traction thats mostly done to save weight. With the mods you have i wouldent think traction would be that big of an issue. Try rolling into the throtle a little easire, even a stock car can break loose off of the line if you mash the gas. Mabey some new shocks if you car has alot of miles on it and a few other after market suspension parts would help
Old 07-07-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

pimp juice
Old 07-07-2012, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

I'm a corner carver my self but if your only
Going in a straight line yank it shouldn't hurt just remember to slow down befor taking that on ramp
Old 07-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Yea it's a strait line 1/4 mile race on a good street. I'm going to take it off for the night. Any thoughts on tire pressure? Anyone with experience with nittos? I know they get sticky when they heat up, even my old 245 all seasons did lol and they ain't even a radial, still used to spin with them though. And the removal of the sway bar helps with the weight transfer from front to rear in many rwd cars, so I figure why not.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Ditch those 555r's for some Mickey's, good TC, LT's/Ory & Dyno tune and you should be good.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

305 nittos and a couple bolt ons....your traction problems cant be too bad
Old 07-07-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by why87
pimp juice
^ This isn't a bad idea.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beans
305 nittos and a couple bolt ons....your traction problems cant be too bad

315 nt05 and I couldnt get traction with my bolt on, stalled A4, lt1
Old 07-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

@ coupe Dave, that's what I plan to do before next summer, for now I have to deal with the nittos

@ beans , like "whytry" stated, I don't dead hook, so there is always room for improvement.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

which is why i said pimp juice
Old 07-09-2012, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pnykillerz28ls1
If anything leave the spare and jack in the car so its more weight in the back. And im no suspension guru but removing the front sway bar shouldent have that much of a affect on traction thats mostly done to save weight. With the mods you have i wouldent think traction would be that big of an issue. Try rolling into the throtle a little easire, even a stock car can break loose off of the line if you mash the gas. Mabey some new shocks if you car has alot of miles on it and a few other after market suspension parts would help
the extra weight of the jack and tire really isnt enough to help traction problems. Taking the front sway bar off makes the front suspension unload faster and farther therefore helping with weight transfer but getting good shocks torque arm and lower control arms is the best start for traction issues
Old 07-09-2012, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by philaeagle51
2002 z28, slp lm, slp cold air kit (cai, lid, bellow), diablo programmer (tuned on a dyno), 2/32-3/32nds left on rear nitto 555r's 305/40/18, slp TC eliminator (for burnouts), new door speakers.

So far I've found it best to hold the brake, then release a half second or less after I mash the pedal, the stock stall is between 1600-1900, so I've tried revving it up to between there, but the tire span more then the original method. **key note: I have never done a burn out with these tires I bought them used, so I don't want to burn them up without good reason (so my findings from the two methods a above may be squwed).

I have considered reving it up to the 2500 rpm range, but due to my stock stall (everything except whats listed above, is stock) I fear I could be stressing my 1st gear a little too much..?

Anyone have any suggestions as far as the launch/takeoff?

Next, a friend of mine had the same car but in stick. He took off his front sway. At and he hooked up a lot better than with it on, any advice/experience with this?

I plan to change my oil tomorrow, I cleaned my air intake, and TB. I plan to remove my spare tire and jack (they will be in a friends car just incase), and unless someone has a reason not to, I'm going to remove my front away bar and see how that works out.

Any other suspension/performance modifications that could help me hook up better/run faster, for one night, on the street.

*any tire pressure recommendations? I will be doing a burnout, on the street, just so u consider that. I plan to put my fronts up to 42 from 39, to reduce traction in the front, worth it? Rear tp?

Thanks, drive safe.
Good kill... What were his mods?

Sounded like you had a hard time getting it in gear on one of the runs.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:53 AM
Teching In

So many ways to dead hook on the street. I will give you 3. Some much cheaper than others. I will start with the most expensive.

1) MT ET streets.

2) VHT and propane. Light it up.

3) Soda. Coke or Pepsi works pretty good. Just dump the bottle, let it sit for a minute, then prepare for battle. (Old school trick)
Old 07-09-2012, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nittos need heat. They're still better than stock street tires in newer condition without a burnout, but not nearly as sticky as they are with a decent burnout. And the older they get, the less they hook (to a noticeable degree). It's a night and day difference with a burnout, though. Heat those things up. With a mild bolt-on, auto LS1 and 305 Nittos, you shouldn't be having problems unless you're trying to launch on cold roads, especially with stock/stockish gearing.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by why87
pimp juice
+1

http://www.pimpjuicetraction.com/

**** just works.