Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

02' WS6 & 06' GTO vs. 06' Charger SRT8

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 02' WS6 & 06' GTO vs. 06' Charger SRT8

So in the thread below an encounter on the highways of Mexico went down a couple weeks ago.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...s-6-0-gto.html

I was able to coordinate these cars the best I could and get in on the action as well. The WS6 is my car.

WS6 has: mild cam, headers, and other standard bolt ons.
GTO has: headers and tune and bolt ons
SRT8 has: heads, cam, bolt ons but not a very good tune.

Race 1 GTO vs SRT8

40 - 120 mph.
Charger spun a bit and the GTO won by about a car length, but the Charger was pulling up top just before they shut down.

Race 2 and 3 WS6 vs SRT8

Both runs were from 50-120 mph and the WS6 won by about 1.5 car lengths both times. The SRT8 stopped my pull and stayed 1.5 cars back on both runs until we shut down.

There was 1 run from 60 -120 mph, I was at the bottom of 3rd gear, he jumped out by about a car and held me off by 1-1.5 car lengths.

Video of the run of the GTO and SRT8 were recorded on SRTboy's Go pro, but the Gopro died on the clean runs with the WS6 and SRT8.
Hopefully he can load up the GTO video by tomorrow.

All in all this was for fun and it was nice meeting you Sean (SRTboy), you seem like a pretty stand up guy. Now get that proper tune to maximize your power.

Last edited by jthunderz28; 02-24-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the best thing you can do to that 06 charger is just yank the motor out and bore it out and then rebuild the motor that way it saves you extra money than buying the 392 version brand new. These chargers are the heaviest in the group so its already at a major disadvantage thats why a very mild build on a ls f-body will beat a stock Gen 5 Camaro all day long because of the weight difference.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by "MAC"
the best thing you can do to that 06 charger is just yank the motor out and bore it out and then rebuild the motor that way it saves you extra money than buying the 392 version brand new. These chargers are the heaviest in the group so its already at a major disadvantage thats why a very mild build on a ls f-body will beat a stock Gen 5 Camaro all day long because of the weight difference.
Absolutley weight is a factor, no secret there... but hey, run whatcha brung right???
Old 02-24-2013, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

Hopefully he gets those mods he was talking about in the thread vs the G8, so he can get a win lol and the car all dialed in.

Isn't it literally just heads, cam, flowmasters, and tune
Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 AM
TECH Regular

^ I believe so, but I wouldn't consider heads/cam a mild build by any means.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Banned

LOL hell yea it is race what you bring! and there shouldnt be any excuses as to why you lost either except my tires aint that good, i missed 3rd, cam wasnt caming, headers wasnt headering, tune wasnt tuning, etc..........
Old 02-24-2013, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

Good thing I didn't say any of that
Old 02-24-2013, 12:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jthunderz28
So in the thread below an encounter on the highways of Mexico went down a couple weeks ago.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...s-6-0-gto.html

I was able to coordinate these cars the best I could and get in on the action as well. The WS6 is my car.

WS6 has: mild cam, headers, and other standard bolt ons.
GTO has: headers and tune and bolt ons
SRT8 has: heads, cam, bolt ons but not a very good tune.

Race 1 GTO vs SRT8

40 - 120 mph.
Charger spun a bit and the GTO won by about a car length, but the Charger was pulling up top just before they shut down.

Race 2 and 3 WS6 vs SRT8

Both runs were from 50-120 mph and the WS6 won by about 1.5 car lengths both times. The SRT8 stopped my pull and stayed 1.5 cars back on both runs until we shut down.

There was 1 run from 60 -120 mph, I was at the bottom of 3rd gear, he jumped out by about a car and held me off by 1-1.5 car lengths.

Video of the run of the GTO and SRT8 were recorded on SRTboy's Go pro, but the Gopro died on the clean runs with the WS6 and SRT8.
Hopefully he can load up the GTO video by tomorrow.

All in all this was for fun and it was nice meeting you Sean (SRTboy), you seem like a pretty stand up guy. Now get that proper tune to maximize your power.
Nice meeting you guys tonight. I enjoyed it.
The GoPro footage is........ shitty to put it nicely.
I'm planing on tuning this week if possible. realized how "untuned" I was lol

I just put that motor in lol Im in no rush to pull it back out.
I know my cars a pig but I'll try to make it work.

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
Hopefully he gets those mods he was talking about in the thread vs the G8, so he can get a win lol and the car all dialed in.

Isn't it literally just heads, cam, flowmasters, and tune
Hey I won one tonight! (he was in the wrong gear but still counts) lol
I am getting the mods together. I did the big one today and ditched the 22's for some Challenger rims. Much lighter and I can feel the differences.
Also got a CAI installed and gutted cats going on tomorrow.
Biggest thing now is to get a tune. With the logs of our runs today I see how much more is left in the tune.
Calling forcefed on monday.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
Good thing I didn't say any of that
Its all good ive been drinking and playing Black ops all night! Bud light Platinum cant go wrong drinking that!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SRTboy
I am getting the mods together. I did the big one today and ditched the 22's for some Challenger rims. Much lighter and I can feel the differences.
Biggest thing now is to get a tune. With the logs of our runs today I see how much more is left in the tune.
Nice, you'll have to re-race at some point. Should run good
Its all good ive been drinking and playing Black ops all night! Bud light Platinum cant go wrong drinking that!
It's all good lol
Old 02-24-2013, 01:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SRTboy
Nice meeting you guys tonight. I enjoyed it.
The GoPro footage is........ shitty to put it nicely.
I'm planing on tuning this week if possible. realized how "untuned" I was lol

I just put that motor in lol Im in no rush to pull it back out.
I know my cars a pig but I'll try to make it work.

Its all good man Dodge has always been heavier of the three and there motors are pretty stout from the get go honestly Ive always thought it was Chevy and dodge had the best motors and ford got the scraps from the two and did the best they could. All I hear from the ford guys is well you chevy and dodge fans have bigger motors so its already not fare from the begining blah blah blah like its my fault because Chevy and dodge puts these motors in their cars. If i had any say so in it id tell dodge and chevy that they need to reduce the weight in the muscle cars then I might actually get a new camaro.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:58 AM
TECH Regular

With a good set of heads and gears, i wonder if i could take down the elusive "Yeti"? Lol
Old 03-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jthunderz28
With a good set of heads and gears, i wonder if i could take down the elusive "Yeti"? Lol
Lol my car is nearly as fat as that SRT8 So I wouldn't doubt it lol. I'm still driving a two ton sex machine and unfortunately the sexiness doesn't counter the weight. I just got the car back from the stall being put in, but so far I am not feeling it at all. I miss the responsive part throttle super twitchy throttle input I used to have. Also has totally changed what gear my car drops to when I lay the hammer. After three years of being used to the stock stall, I have to learn the car all over again. I will say that the shift extension is legit though...

Quick Reply: 02' WS6 & 06' GTO vs. 06' Charger SRT8