Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

my GTO vs a 5th gen.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile my GTO vs a 5th gen.

a couple of friendly runs from a guy at my gym. i heard about a yr ago he got it but i havent seen him. i finally ran into him and suggested we have some fun.

we ran from a stop once. we both spun horribly. i think i did more lol. i slipped my clutch too much a was hopping like a **** and i shifted sooner than i wanted to get traction and he got me.

last run we went from a 60 roll. i honked it off. i was in 2nd. i got the jump then hit third perfectly for once lol wound it out to 4th and i saw him in my rear view so i backed off. i was at 100 or so coming on traffic.

oh, almost forgot mods lol. i make 345/340 on a mustang dyno.

he has a cold air and muffler delete.both 6 speed cars. im guessing we make similar power. id say in the 1/4 wed be close and top end an ls3 would have more.

a couple other runs we miscommunicated on and i missed a shift.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so pretty much your car is a tad bit faster? doesn't sound like you guys got a good run in haha.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by 01 CamaroSS SLP
so pretty much your car is a tad bit faster? doesn't sound like you guys got a good run in haha.
im thinking were close with two shitty drivers LOL.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fun runs.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's amazing that GTO's and 5th gen SS's are so close with the power advantage a LS3 has over a LS2, but blame GM for not upping it's game enough with that heavy SS!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
It's amazing that GTO's and 5th gen SS's are so close with the power advantage a LS3 has over a LS2, but blame GM for not upping it's game enough with that heavy SS!
you know i drove an SS when they first came out. i asked to drive this one after we ran. it really is a big ******* car. i mean it rides nice. imo has a nice interior. of course they look great.

but,i hate how the clutch feels compared to mine. mine grabs right away where a camaros feels less responsive. im guessing due to its hydraulics. im sure id get used to it but i prefer an ls2 clutch feel. shifter is no contest. camaros are much tighter and less notchy.

a 5th gen. feels a little more refined and has a better suspension and bigger tires. thats one thing that sucks about GTOs. theyre a bitch to hook on street tires.

im still a big fan of 5th gens but maybe theyre not so more evolved over GTOs as i once thought.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
you know i drove an SS when they first came out. i asked to drive this one after we ran. it really is a big ******* car. i mean it rides nice. imo has a nice interior. of course they look great.

but,i hate how the clutch feels compared to mine. mine grabs right away where a camaros feels less responsive. im guessing due to its hydraulics. im sure id get used to it but i prefer an ls2 clutch feel. shifter is no contest. camaros are much tighter and less notchy.

a 5th gen. feels a little more refined and has a better suspension and bigger tires. thats one thing that sucks about GTOs. theyre a bitch to hook on street tires.

im still a big fan of 5th gens but maybe theyre not so more evolved over GTOs as i once thought.
I've driven alot of V6 and V8 5th gens (rentals) and agree with you on all except the hooking part: 5th gens wished they could hook as easy as a GTO. Just put the right tires on it, fix the lagging rear springs if you got that issue, and you are good to go. I have no problem hitting 1.6 and 1.7 60' times while leaving the line at idle with myself. Heck, I was hitting back to back 1.9 60' times when I was just boltons/stock stall with car bogging from TOO MUCH traction.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

yes but you have an auto. a manual is a little more tricky.

but i did hook better when i had nittos.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Launching!

i got a 2010 ss, one of my buddies has a gto. i make more power and get him , but i love how mine drives and feels as far as driving goes. but i love the clutch feel of his. so i know what u are sayin there. his wheel hops like a ****.
i think the 5th gen is easier to keep from spinning but my be where im use to it. we ar both stick shifts. i can pull 1.87 to 1.92 about every time on my stock p zero's . but on the street my car does awesome on a dig vs other cars on street tires. i accually came in 2nd out of 140+ cars at a airport arm drop race. beat cars that were way faster but my car would hook pretty good off the line and thats where i would win .
Old 03-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
yes but you have an auto. a manual is a little more tricky.

but i did hook better when i had nittos.
The manual is alot trickier.. I have driven both my friends 06 M6 Goat and my 04 A4.

The first time I took it to the track I pulled off 1.9 60's with nearly bald street tires.

My buddies 06 was horrible about hooking up in first or second gear.

I love my auto goat! =D

Quick Reply: my GTO vs a 5th gen.