Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

my new vettes first kill..

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I personally prefer centri's opposed to pd's. I understand them for heavy vehicles like 5th gens and trucks to get them going but other than that I just don't like them. I do however like turbo's and have zero against them. The TTiX kit or APS with DTK (DKT) upgrades are the way to go on a vette if going the turbo route. Centri on a vette just works though.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotcha wasn't sure if that's what you were saying.

I'd put my money on a centri everyday of the week over pd tho
Old 08-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I personally prefer centri's opposed to pd's. I understand them for heavy vehicles like 5th gens and trucks to get them going but other than that I just don't like them. I do however like turbo's and have zero against them. The TTiX kit or APS with DTK (DKT) upgrades are the way to go on a vette if going the turbo route. Centri on a vette just works though.
I agree with Detoxx. I helped a guy put a whipple on his ls3 c6 and he still wasn't able pull me with a hurt ls6 with a v3-si blower
Old 08-05-2013, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1. Plus the centri packaging in a Vette is perfect. It fits without any real hassle.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
1, I was speaking directly turbo(s) vs centrifugal.
2, The reason centrifugals are soo popular is beacause they fit underneath a stock hood. Remember, these guys like stock looks, typically. And up until the release of the E-FORCE from edelbrock, nothing would fit on top of the corvette engine, without replacing a hood.

As a result, you have only the more harcore guys running a big kenne bell, or something along the lines of that but,...I do not think the VETTE guys are up to speed with that basic setup, when compared to the guys running centri's.

Therefore,...a PD blower or roots will build boost on instant, and make that same boost across the board,..... a centri, wil start off at nothing, and build its way up, and keep build up to it's PEAK boost number at PEAK RPM....it's just the way it works, and the way it is, at least with what is on the market today...

3)...I was comparing supercharging to tubocharging. You cannot compare the two. One use's power to make power, the other basically recycles it, with a mild back pressure tradeoff. Turbos will make power, given the proper setup, mid range, and across the board to whatever you want just about, depending on the layout chosen.

TOP end, PD vs Centrifugal....typically we see the centri vettes that are quicker but, again, thats only cause you never see whipple/kenne bell vettes racing hardcore....atleast on the street. The turbos, vs either, should always win....given two identical cars.
This will be really cool when we start seeing these come to the market for vettes. Variable geometry in a centri.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Idk why centri guys don't run with a bov. They could turn the blower a little faster to get boost to come in sooner then bleed off the pressure they can't use up top..
Old 08-06-2013, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Idk why centri guys don't run with a bov. They could turn the blower a little faster to get boost to come in sooner then bleed off the pressure they can't use up top..
We do run BOV's. You are thinking of a wastegate which some people do run.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Sorry...got my terms backwards.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Word.

Originally Posted by 427zm
This will be really cool when we start seeing these come to the market for vettes. Variable geometry in a centri.

http://youtu.be/pPrL6ebUrDU
Seen this in person at the Performance Racing Industry rade show we attend every year(PRI). very cool idea,..there IS a picture of a Corvette out there with one on it right now,...I have no idea the results,...no idea of how well it works.

What I will tell you,..is that I have turned MANY blowers over by hand,..just playing with the pulley, or just fiddling with them. I have NEVER turned a more difficult blower ever, in my life. That thing must take TONS of power, just to spin it. I would imagine you would need lots of power to make it work.

Basically, this is like a wategated/boost controller setup on a centri blower.

That, and it ain't cheap. I think you would be better or running a wastgate(or softer bov springs),

Quick Reply: my new vettes first kill..