Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2007 GT500 640 hp vs 2013 ZL1 670hp

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 06X6spdGTO
In fact you could probly have a 427 Copo for what your Modded CTSv cost... And who says you can't drive them on the street!?!

Oh for what my V cost I could've built any American car. But at the end of the day I'm going to have a 1500whp V... How many of those have you seen around .

And I also have my 4 speed completely streetable trans/converter... no powerglide... A/C, full luxury interior, banging sound system, and 5 spacious comfortable seats... .
Old 10-28-2013, 01:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Driving legally and driving it anyway are to different things. No VIN to register it makes it illegal, fact gm said it as well. Run into the one dick cop that has your vehicle towed seized etc just ain't worth it.
You go to your local court house, prove the vehicle is "Street Worthy" and they will issue you plates and registration. How do you think custom street legal choppers and sand rails drive on the street? Same exact process ^.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

How exactly do you register/get plates for a car with no VIN ?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
Oh for what my V cost I could've built any American car. But at the end of the day I'm going to have a 1500whp V... How many of those have you seen around .

And I also have my 4 speed, A/C, full luxury interior, banging sound system, and 5 spacious comfortable seats... .
None.... And congratulations! Seriously that is impressive....

Again my point, Who gives a **** which one you buy.... At the end of the day on this forum it's about 1320 times for the ZL1 vs GT500 or Ford vs Chevy battle..

No one is going to change their mind. You bought what you got and your passionate about it. End of Story!
Old 10-28-2013, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

Go ask your local motorcycle club that builds 1 off frames and custom bikes that drive allllll over...
Old 10-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 06X6spdGTO
None.... And congratulations! Seriously that is impressive....

Again my point, Who gives a **** which one you buy.... At the end of the day on this forum it's about 1320 times for the ZL1 vs GT500 or Ford vs Chevy battle..

No one is going to change their mind. You bought what you got and your passionate about it. End of Story!
Thanks.

I wasn't arguing. COPOs are awesome cars. All I was pointing out was you were doggin on the guys spending 50-60k on gt500s and ZL1s when you had spend 3 times that on a 5th gen lol. To each his own!
Old 10-28-2013, 01:51 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks.

I wasn't arguing. COPOs are awesome cars. All I was pointing out was you were doggin on the guys spending 50-60k on gt500s and ZL1s when you had spend 3 times that on a 5th gen lol. To each his own!
I was ******* on Guys spending 50-60K to compare nothing more than quarter mile times vs $ invested... Every thread involving Chevy vs Ford turns up the same in this section...

Very few give credit where its due. Most want to compare cars from Florida owned by some shop vs a average Joe owned car racing in 4000ft elevation...

And when viewed in "simpleton" form of nothing more than 1320 times both cars are terrible for $ invested...
Old 10-28-2013, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
*This particular Camaro isn't a contender against this particular Mustang.

Also, I'm just going to be "that guy" for a minute seeing as there is a valid argument here but none of the Chevy guys seem to be making it completely.

Both the GT500 and the ZL1 base price at almost exactly $55,000. But, to option out a GT500 like a ZL1 (diff cooler, tranny cooler, engine oil cooler, upgraded suspension bits) you've got to add on the SVT performance package and the SVT track pack, (all of those things come standard on the "turd" ZL1 standard btw) which collectively bump the GT500 up to over $62k. At this point, the GT500 still has inferior suspension to the ZL1, costs $7k more, and still has some half-assed 285 road-race tires in the back (lol) that will need some attention.

Also, I'm noticing several other things that are kind of shocking, for example, navigation price differences ($800 for the Camaro and $2,300 for the GT500).

What it boils down to is, the GT500 obviously has the ZL1 on power and acceleration, but once you start looking at standard options on the ZL1 vs cost of options on the GT500 it seems as though

A). perhaps GM didn't build the ZL1 as a *****-out drag car? (IRS and 20's FTL, not to mention the front tires on the ZL1 are as wide as the rear tires on the Shelby). The ZL1 is basically a performance-oriented touring car, and the GT500 is, well, not.

B). It's embarrassing for the Mustang to compare when comparably equipped all the way around because the GT500 will be $7-10k more than the ZL1. The MSRP price difference between a standard ZL1 and a GT500 with the SVT performance package and the SVT track pack is nearly the same price gap between that GT500 and a 1LZ 2013 Corvette Z06.

C). When comparing the GT500 and the ZL1's power-to-weight ratios, it's honestly kind of sad these cars are even being compared in any realm of performance.

D). Throw 3 or 4 check marks on the options list for the GT500, and you'll be competing with the Z/28.

All that being said...I could care less lol. Just playing devil's advocate here. These are muscle cars that are priced like sports cars at this point. Lets not forget that underneath the superchargers and recaro seats, it's built off a $22,000 car. Kind of ridiculous in my opinion, no matter who the manufacturer is.
When I buy a car.. I get the one I WANT... not caring about the other being CHEAPER. The Shelby's suspension does what it was intended to do. 2015 brings IRS to the Mustangs... so the jury is out on that chassis for now... although spy shots of a supposed SVT mule showed Carbon ceramic brakes.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
You should know that rational are not these guys strong points. They all drive there cars where ever they go a 1/4 at a time with 40min cool downs. It takes them forever to get anywhere.
With a dual fan upgraded heat exchanger, I can hotlap my car all day long right beside you Chevy guys.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by automach1
A novel of thoughts based on facts that don't agree with my biases.
Fixed

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
When I buy a car.. I get the one I WANT... not caring about the other being CHEAPER. The Shelby's suspension does what it was intended to do. 2015 brings IRS to the Mustangs... so the jury is out on that chassis for now... although spy shots of a supposed SVT mule showed Carbon ceramic brakes.
Play it cool all you want, but price matters to a mass majority of consumers and that's why these cars get compared in the first place. What people fail to compare is the cars as a whole, not just strictly Horsepower for an MSRP which is frankly idiotic.

Also, do you not want the super snake conversion on your GT500? Do you not want a Ford GT? Hell, I want a Ford GT I'm not one to tell people what to do with their own hard earned money, nor am I one to poo-poo people's passions. The GT500 is one hell of a machine, but if the only deciding factor on any vehicle purchase is *want*, then a GT500 wouldn't even make my top 10 list I don't think. To each their own and props to you if this is honestly true.

I'm interested to see how the IRS will work in the 2015 models, and if it will be in all models or not. Also, I'm sure the carbon ceramic brakes will be an option on the SVT cars, honestly, I'm surprised it isn't already (Z/28 has them).
Old 10-28-2013, 11:49 PM
***Repost Police***

Fixed

Play it cool all you want, but price matters to a mass majority of consumers and that's why these cars get compared in the first place. What people fail to compare is the cars as a whole, not just strictly Horsepower for an MSRP which is frankly idiotic.

Also, do you not want the super snake conversion on your GT500? Do you not want a Ford GT? Hell, I want a Ford GT I'm not one to tell people what to do with their own hard earned money, nor am I one to poo-poo people's passions. The GT500 is one hell of a machine, but if the only deciding factor on any vehicle purchase is *want*, then a GT500 wouldn't even make my top 10 list I don't think. To each their own and props to you if this is honestly true.

I'm interested to see how the IRS will work in the 2015 models, and if it will be in all models or not. Also, I'm sure the carbon ceramic brakes will be an option on the SVT cars, honestly, I'm surprised it isn't already (Z/28 has them).
It's an all-new platform, pretty sure all models will have IRS.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Banned

Fixed

They get compared because they are the top car for mustangs and cameros. The options/price argument is a lame attempt to salvage the *** beating they get in straight line performance. It all goes back to the same ole it's a better overall car because of it's handling capabilities. I forget how many non straight line races are posted in this section
Old 10-29-2013, 01:21 AM
TECH Regular

I got to say a lot of the chevy guys are having a hard time excepting the fact that the snake it faster and justify it be "as good or better" due to the suspension. I'm a chevy guy through and through. I know these same guys would be talking smack just like the ford guys if the zl1 was an *** stomper. I just don't know what Chevy was thinking when they designed the car. They just couldn't have it beat the 100k zr1 I guess. that would be taboo. The snakes are faster. no way around it. That being said I'd still own the Camaro and mod it haha. the snake should really be compared to the zr1 and not the zl1.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by automach1
They get compared because they are the top car for mustangs and cameros. The options/price argument is a lame attempt to salvage the *** beating they get in straight line performance. It all goes back to the same ole it's a better overall car because of it's handling capabilities. I forget how many non straight line races are posted in this section
Originally Posted by stevecritt
I got to say a lot of the chevy guys are having a hard time excepting the fact that the snake it faster and justify it be "as good or better" due to the suspension. I'm a chevy guy through and through. I know these same guys would be talking smack just like the ford guys if the zl1 was an *** stomper. I just don't know what Chevy was thinking when they designed the car. They just couldn't have it beat the 100k zr1 I guess. that would be taboo. The snakes are faster. no way around it. That being said I'd still own the Camaro and mod it haha. the snake should really be compared to the zr1 and not the zl1.
I'd love to see a quote anywhere where I said "the ZL1 is a better car" or any evidence that I'm "having a hard time" (accepting) anything at all. I made no quarrels that the GT500 is faster, and honestly I don't care one way or another which I also made pretty obvious. If it were my money, I'd be shopping for a Vette or a Viper personally. Yay make-believe.

However, It's when the ZL1 gets treated and labeled as a failure or a "turd" when I have to say something, because that's just plain 'ol fashioned nonsense. Just because it doesn't do exactly what the brutal GT500 does doesn't make it garbage all the way around. The ZL1 has plenty of merits, even in comparison to the GT500 in a number of areas. It's the Ford guys that seem to have a hard time swallowing that pill because it's so easy to start screaming about hero runs, 1/4 mile times, and youtube videos when you point out the advantages of a ZL1.

Pointless argument/discussion/debate/educated observations at this point if people honestly can't wrap their mind around what I'm getting at. No real bias one way or another, I'd defend the GT500 the same way if some nutswinger said the ZL1 (or Z/28...ZR1, Z06...whatever, take your pick) "was better and the GT500 was a big pile of dumb doo doo."
Old 10-29-2013, 04:33 AM
TECH Regular

I'd love to see a quote anywhere where I said "the ZL1 is a better car" or any evidence that I'm "having a hard time" (accepting) anything at all. I made no quarrels that the GT500 is faster, and honestly I don't care one way or another which I also made pretty obvious. If it were my money, I'd be shopping for a Vette or a Viper personally. Yay make-believe.

However, It's when the ZL1 gets treated and labeled as a failure or a "turd" when I have to say something, because that's just plain 'ol fashioned nonsense. Just because it doesn't do exactly what the brutal GT500 does doesn't make it garbage all the way around. The ZL1 has plenty of merits, even in comparison to the GT500 in a number of areas. It's the Ford guys that seem to have a hard time swallowing that pill because it's so easy to start screaming about hero runs, 1/4 mile times, and youtube videos when you point out the advantages of a ZL1.

Pointless argument/discussion/debate/educated observations at this point if people honestly can't wrap their mind around what I'm getting at. No real bias one way or another, I'd defend the GT500 the same way if some nutswinger said the ZL1 (or Z/28...ZR1, Z06...whatever, take your pick) "was better and the GT500 was a big pile of dumb doo doo."
lol shoot, why did you have to group quote me with automach-****? That really hurt my feelings as a chevy enthusiast... On a serious note sorry bro, I was in no way implying you. I had actually just read a bunch of other "zl1 gt500" threads and was just owning up to the zl1's lack of performance. Seriously was not directed to you. I'm just bumed that the straight line performance just aint what it should be. which "come on" is what most of chevy fanatics are all about, really what most American muscle cars are all about. lol its just what matters in the end to most. I'm just trying to do the Christian thing and listen to baby Jesus, even though he's wearing his chevy nascar shirt, and accept it for what it is.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:37 AM
TECH Regular

But damn this is a tough era to have to build a muscle car in.. I mean ****! lol if you super car isn't over 600hp you don't have ****! lol thats hard to swallow no matter how you slice them apples.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:04 AM
On The Tree

LoL, have the GT 500 compete with the ZR1 because the ZL1 can't....yeah, you're a Chevy guy through and through for sure.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Heater
LoL, have the GT 500 compete with the ZR1 because the ZL1 can't....yeah, you're a Chevy guy through and through for sure.
Well, duh silly that's what I just said. Your funny mr macky.

Come on little Heater, aren't you trolling a lil now? Over here casing mischief again. shame on you.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevecritt
Well, duh silly that's what I just said. Your funny mr macky.

Come on little Heater, aren't you trolling a lil now? Over here casing mischief again. shame on you.
It was kinda silly to say something like that. Im sure every Ford guy gets off on hearing Chevy guys saying a Mustang should be classed against Bowties super Vette...
Old 10-29-2013, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GotHemi?
It was kinda silly to say something like that. Im sure every Ford guy gets off on hearing Chevy guys saying a Mustang should be classed against Bowties super Vette...

Just another troll to add to the pile

Quick Reply: 2007 GT500 640 hp vs 2013 ZL1 670hp