Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

C5 Z06 vs H/c LS2 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

That's cool. I went with 1.72s on my 95 and people told me I would get piston to valve clearance problems, and when I told them that the piston is waaaaaaaaay far away when the valve is at max lift, their heads almost exploded...but they read it on some horseshit forum and heard from Joe Blow that it's true...that's interesting about stockers running 1.8s, wasn't aware.

Experimenting on stuff is the funnest part, if you ask me. When I ported my upper intake, sure I had never done it before and was nervous as ****, but when it was done and you could visually see the difference in how much air can flow through, that's the cool part. Same with wiring my 86...I hate wiring and have never wired every part of a car, but I learned a **** ton doing it and it's something that only cost me labor, not my paycheck!

I disagree a little on the D/A point, only because let's say I had very similar burnouts/launches and runs but one was in 0 DA and the other in 3000 DA. When going WOT for 95% of the track, the lower DA will allow the denser air to give me better results. Sure, when getting all technical the added power from lower DA may make me break my tires loose on the launch and thus ******* up the entire thing, but on a solid launch you'd still see a benefit.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I agree if the launch is solid d/a will make a difference. But it don't take much to knock the difference in half and just about negate it.

I love experimenting. That's how my car got to where it is. That's also why I like n/a stuff better. You have to work harder than upping boost.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whether it's boost or n/a it can still be applied.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Not really. N/a you're scratching for every .5 hp. Boost your looking to gain much more power and you can tune it up to the point that race gas or e85 can be utilized. Those gains can easily triple what you find on a n/a engine.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 01-30-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Not really. N/a you're scratching for every .5 hp. Boost your looking to gain much more power and you can tune it up to the point that race gas or e85 can be utilized. Those gains can easily triple what you find on a n/a engine.
Wrong. I will probably change my setup eventually to gain just 5-15whp on pump. There is also more to it then just power.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
I think he's been running it a while, sweet99. It seems he knows his car pretty well. Where did you read the don't run 1.8 rockers thing? Kind of sounds like the guys on Mustang forums that say too big of a TB kills torque Do you know guys who have broken their springs with the stock cam?

On another note, have you not ever taken a look at his sig and decided to ask questions before now? Haven't you noticed the band of cheerleaders always batting for his team? His car gets discussed quite a bit, usually because he tells people they should be trapping 130+ with a bolt-on golf cart.
It's just common sense you can't run 1.8's on stock springs. You're pushing the springs farther and it's very common for 02-04 ls6 engines to break springs in stock form... That was the biggest cam GM had ever put in a production corvette I believe and they springs didn't cut it. And no I don't pay that much attention to him. Not trying to start a pissing match, but I don't take him that seriously. I don't believe the times were done with stock internals and he can claim w/e he wants. Cars aren't just magically that fast IMO. AND aftermarket springs are NOT bolt-ons lol. He didn't mention that before.... Are the heads ported too? Where do these "bolt-ons" end?
Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by automach1
Wrong. I will probably change my setup eventually to gain just 5-15whp on pump. There is also more to it then just power.
What ever dude......you've already shown you don't know wtf you're talking about.
Originally Posted by sweet99ss
It's just common sense you can't run 1.8's on stock springs. You're pushing the springs farther and it's very common for 02-04 ls6 engines to break springs in stock form... That was the biggest cam GM had ever put in a production corvette I believe and they springs didn't cut it. And no I don't pay that much attention to him. Not trying to start a pissing match, but I don't take him that seriously. I don't believe the times were done with stock internals and he can claim w/e he wants. Cars aren't just magically that fast IMO. AND aftermarket springs are NOT bolt-ons lol. He didn't mention that before.... Are the heads ported too? Where do these "bolt-ons" end?
LOL......cool man. I'm ok with you not believing it. The funny part is I'm not the fastest ls6. So I guess you don't believe that guy either. There is also another that out et'd me but I out mph'd him. BTW I went over 130 on the stock springs. I just did the 1.8's just to see if there was any power left in it with the stock cam.

Basically you don't believe because you don't know how it's done. Let me phrase this another way. Because you don't know wtf you're doin then no one else can do better.......yea that about sums it up......lol
Old 01-30-2014, 09:13 PM
Banned

What ever dude......you've already shown you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Pot meet kettle derp. Also lol at you claiming stock c5z weight.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Pot meet kettle derp. Also lol at you claiming stock c5z weight.
You proved your worth in the n/a world.....lol

My car is stock c5z weight. Do you know what it weighs? Have you had it on scales? Do you know what c5z's weight?

Do you actually know anything at all????????????????
Old 01-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Banned

You proved your worth in the n/a world.....lol

My car is stock c5z weight. Do you know what it weighs? Have you had it on scales? Do you know what c5z's weight?

Do you actually know anything at all????????????????
Yup I sure did since my old n/a setups caused copious amounts of butthurt. You have claimed 29xx in the past derp.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:59 PM
10 Second Club

Yup I sure did since my old n/a setups caused copious amounts of butthurt. You have claimed 29xx in the past derp.
I've seen 2980 on the scales once. Very low on gas......was even wondering if I was gonna make to the gas station. No floor mats and all my crap outta the car, drag pack and no front bar. I've never ran it like that. Last time out it had all my crap, floor mats and 3/4 tank of gas 3070 or so would be my guess. Car also has a fab 9 in it now. It may have picked up 20lb. IDK cause my scales were broke then. FYI.....c5z's can come in less than 3100.

Your n/a **** never caused any butt hurt. Hell your gt100 causes no butt hurt. Everyone knows you're a joke.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:17 AM
10 Second Club

LOL......cool man. I'm ok with you not believing it. The funny part is I'm not the fastest ls6. So I guess you don't believe that guy either. There is also another that out et'd me but I out mph'd him. BTW I went over 130 on the stock springs. I just did the 1.8's just to see if there was any power left in it with the stock cam.

Basically you don't believe because you don't know how it's done. Let me phrase this another way. Because you don't know wtf you're doin then no one else can do better.......yea that about sums it up......lol
I don't know what I'm doing because I don't hack up my car and go cutting holes in it and put in gay racing interior and ugly ****? I've seen the interior of you car man.... Have you seen your steering wheel and shifter? **** looks like it came straight from fast and furious. And than you don't even list your fulll mods? Why? and what else are you leaving out? Your car isn't a bolt-on car so this discussion really doesn't even matter... You couldn't continue to run 1.8's reliably on ls6 springs even if they were perfect. I'm sure you have dropped waay more $ into that car than I have in my Z06 and for what? Btw are your heads ported to Hio?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
I don't know what I'm doing because I don't hack up my car and go cutting holes in it and put in gay racing interior and ugly ****? I've seen the interior of you car man.... Have you seen your steering wheel and shifter? **** looks like it came straight from fast and furious. And than you don't even list your fulll mods? Why? and what else are you leaving out? Your car isn't a bolt-on car so this discussion really doesn't even matter... You couldn't continue to run 1.8's reliably on ls6 springs even if they were perfect. I'm sure you have dropped waay more $ into that car than I have in my Z06 and for what? Btw are your heads ported to Hio?
No my heads are not ported. I have said I have changed the springs many times before. Sure it's a bolt-on car, engine is stock other than 1.8's and springs. And it had went over 130 W/O those, seems you fail to understand that. Not to mention I was gonna change springs anyway and why the hell would you put stock ones back on it. Sometimes you do **** at a convenience instead of worrying about a bunch of fake rules. Are you a democrat?

I bought my car new.......and most of the parts I ave bought were used and some I have made. So yeah......huge $$$ Why don't you call out everyone on here for spending money are their car?? Hey guys........come of you have bought c6Z's.......shame on you. You guys with ZR1's should have your cars taken and parted out.

Anyone here see a old school t handle in Fast and Furious?? Your dumbass don't even know the why's to me putting it on. You ever see a f-body steering wheel?? that's the worst part of the car IMO. I hated that steering wheel since the car was new.

Nice try. Your about to do the best thing you can do for your self and put that charger on.

Look out errryone......here comes another high 12 sec supercharged c5z.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Now if we could just get the info out to everyone about the stock MAF tables being all f*ed up on the LS2's and needing a hard reboot with the upgraded parameters we could put a huge dent in the bad rap that GTO's have.
Go on.... my friends 06 GTO A4 was a turd completely stock and even with a dyno tune and CAI my bone stock Z28 was still beating him by a couple mph and a couple of tenths on our best runs at the track (Same day, same track, side by side runs) and he had 1.9x 60fts vs my 2.1xs. I always felt something was wrong with the tune...knew nothing about MAF tables being fucked.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:28 AM
10 Second Club

No my heads are not ported. I have said I have changed the springs many times before. Sure it's a bolt-on car, engine is stock other than 1.8's and springs. And it had went over 130 W/O those, seems you fail to understand that. Not to mention I was gonna change springs anyway and why the hell would you put stock ones back on it. Sometimes you do **** at a convenience instead of worrying about a bunch of fake rules. Are you a democrat?

I bought my car new.......and most of the parts I ave bought were used and some I have made. So yeah......huge $$$ Why don't you call out everyone on here for spending money are their car?? Hey guys........come of you have bought c6Z's.......shame on you. You guys with ZR1's should have your cars taken and parted out.

Anyone here see a old school t handle in Fast and Furious?? Your dumbass don't even know the why's to me putting it on. You ever see a f-body steering wheel?? that's the worst part of the car IMO. I hated that steering wheel since the car was new.

Nice try. Your about to do the best thing you can do for your self and put that charger on.

Look out errryone......here comes another high 12 sec supercharged c5z.
Not so much the type of shifter. It doesn't flow with the car at all and neither does that steering wheel. Looks ricer like IMO. And when a person spends x amount of $ on a c6z they get a C6Z lol.

Plus you had to have cut up your car to get it down to that weight. I had a bolt on body with weight reduction. You can't get to that weight without hacking **** up... And you're right I can't setup a car, but my actual bolt-on only stock internal ls1 ran 11's with FULL interior!

I'll give it to you your car traps well weather it is a bolt-on ls6 or not... As for my car being a 12 sec car... We can make that bet if you want. I'm not scared to launch the car. You just have to slip it right to where you cut good 60, but don't shock the parts. It will be 11's and trap upper 120's...
Old 01-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Banned

I've seen 2980 on the scales once. Very low on gas......was even wondering if I was gonna make to the gas station. No floor mats and all my crap outta the car, drag pack and no front bar. I've never ran it like that. Last time out it had all my crap, floor mats and 3/4 tank of gas 3070 or so would be my guess. Car also has a fab 9 in it now. It may have picked up 20lb. IDK cause my scales were broke then. FYI.....c5z's can come in less than 3100.

Your n/a **** never caused any butt hurt. Hell your gt100 causes no butt hurt. Everyone knows you're a joke.
Ha not going to argue the weight of your car as it seems to always change. There is no telling how light it really is. Yea multiple threads on multiple sites filled with hundreds of posts but yea you are right nobody got butthurt lolz
Old 01-31-2014, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Go on.... my friends 06 GTO A4 was a turd completely stock and even with a dyno tune and CAI my bone stock Z28 was still beating him by a couple mph and a couple of tenths on our best runs at the track (Same day, same track, side by side runs) and he had 1.9x 60fts vs my 2.1xs. I always felt something was wrong with the tune...knew nothing about MAF tables being fucked.
From my limited research has uncovered is that the stock maf tables are fine up until the 500 crank horsepower range where they start running into problems. And those problems are ghost issues as the ECU doesn't tell you, nor did data logging show it as the smoothing programs turned the massive voltage swings of the MAF into a averaged out number: got too put the tuning software into live readout dashboard mode with MAF voltage as one of the dials then have a passenger watch it while driver goes WOT through the gears. When it starts messing up, it will show the voltage slamming back and forth from 1 volt to 5 volts very fast.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lmao guy looks heated as ****.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
GTO is a heavier car too.

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 vs H/c LS2 GTO