Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

UGR R8 vs HKS GTR - Mexico Racing League

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by It'llrun
If more people didn't prefer the Audi, Lamborghini would be the more successful company and not the other way around. It is indeed the other way around and while you're thinking about how great those Lambo's are, keep in mind that Audi has blown them and everyone else on earth out of the game in endurance racing for quite some time now, proving they're not just in this to feed on the likes of Lamborghini.

You're killin' me with this 'I'll tell the world on him... "but I can't afford it" crap. As if you'd even recognize what a $2,3xx monthly mortgage looks like... Where's YOUR SuperLeggera??? I'm sure it sits out back... of your motor home mom let's you sleep in to help you feel independent.

Climb down from the dick...
Vw outsells both of them and owns them both....VW also owns porsche, bentley and bugatti by extention. Sales numbers alone done make one car company better than another. People buy 200K+ 911's and cgt's and soon 918's which cost nearly 3-5 times what the r8 costs.

Vw as a company does lots of endurance racing, lambo has its own racing league, 911's have a longer racing history than most and the r8 does well ( but is rather new to it).

THe r8 suffers from not being exotic enough due it sharing the same badge as an a1. I think its a great car but the gallardo holds a high level of clout which people readily pay for.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:10 AM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iron Man drove an R8. That right there makes it desirable for a lot of people. I'm all for performance, but if FORCED to choose between the two I would take the R8 V10 all day long.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm gona make this easier.

Just give me a massaged sl63 amg.
:deal:
Old 02-15-2014, 07:38 AM
ASSuming On The Tree

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
I tend to agree with most of your arguement, as I like the Superleggera a lot, but I still think the R8 is nicer and subtler(?) as a grand tourer. Point, if comparing the Superleggera, for weight, at least compare it to the proper R8 in price range - the R8 GT which is within 200lbs of the Superleggera. Both gorgeous cars I will likely never afford, even though I wish I could

Also not trying to argue It'llrun as you make some valid points, but I'm not sure Lambo vs Audi success is worth mentioning as one is a specialized supercar maker, and one makes everyday German cars with one supercar in the lineup, and both are owned by VW making there success one in the same essentially.
The R8GT is 3,362lbs, while the superlegerra sits at 3,1xx-3,200lbs.

And to argue the success is almost silly, because VW owns both.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Also not trying to argue It'llrun as you make some valid points, but I'm not sure Lambo vs Audi success is worth mentioning as one is a specialized supercar maker, and one makes everyday German cars with one supercar in the lineup, and both are owned by VW making there success one in the same essentially.
As I said early on, I'd take either. My point isn't and wasn't to compare them. That's what the youngsters do, clearly without realizing how very closely they're built and that the real differences serve two different purposes. When I was young, I also preferred the Lambo vs essentially any Audi, even though Audi positively had the better name for quality and was a more successful company. Today, my mind is more refined, so I prefer the Audi because to me, it's a much better representative of refinement.

Today though, I keep in mind 1 more thing about them... The 24 Hr Le mans... Audi has DOMINATED it for a long time now and I don't have to tell you, it was not done accidentally.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
Vw outsells both of them and owns them both....VW also owns porsche, bentley and bugatti by extention. Sales numbers alone done make one car company better than another. People buy 200K+ 911's and cgt's and soon 918's which cost nearly 3-5 times what the r8 costs.

Vw as a company does lots of endurance racing, lambo has its own racing league, 911's have a longer racing history than most and the r8 does well ( but is rather new to it).

THe r8 suffers from not being exotic enough due it sharing the same badge as an a1. I think its a great car but the gallardo holds a high level of clout which people readily pay for.
I'm fairly certain the fact VW owns them both has already been mentioned. That has nothing to do with their success, frankly, as each was successful prior to being a owned by VW. One was far more successful. I also already said that people buy these high dollar cars because they can and either of the two in range would surely put the other in range of their buyer. The 918 is not in this ball park from what I've read so far, so whatever it costs is immaterial as it appears to be bound to handily outperform these. I didn't mention one company being better than the other based on sales.

The R8 draws less negative attention than the Lambo, but for me it's really more about the overall car. I like either, but one looks better to me.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

As I said early on, I'd take either. My point isn't and wasn't to compare them. That's what the youngsters do, clearly without realizing how very closely they're built and that the real differences serve two different purposes. When I was young, I also preferred the Lambo vs essentially any Audi, even though Audi positively had the better name for quality and was a more successful company. Today, my mind is more refined, so I prefer the Audi because to me, it's a much better representative of refinement.
Today though, I keep in mind 1 more thing about them... The 24 Hr Le mans... Audi has DOMINATED it for a long time now and I don't have to tell you, it was not done accidentally.
Bolded part - agreed 100%.

It's part of why I lust for a Ferrari more than any Lambo, even if it isn't faster in a straight line
Old 02-15-2014, 09:31 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

I definitely agree with the refined part. Same with Mercedes.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Like Hugger 1975, I'd also prefer the AMG SL63 over these two... it's the last car I'd ever need, but I still refuse to move into a car, so I'll keep the house.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:03 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Why not a sl65amg?
Old 02-16-2014, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

That too...

I'd like nearly any SL...
Old 02-16-2014, 05:47 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

The sl65amg black edition is absurd. And with a tune... eff
Old 02-16-2014, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by audacious nick
The sl65amg black edition is absurd. And with a tune... eff

We just got our first Merc, and even though it's an SUV, I am quickly growing more fond of it everyday (we had a BMW before and I swore we would have another, then the salesman blew the sale and we bought an ML from the MB dealer).
Old 02-16-2014, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We just got our first Merc, and even though it's an SUV, I am quickly growing more fond of it everyday (we had a BMW before and I swore we would have another, then the salesman blew the sale and we bought an ML from the MB dealer).
They are nice. My company is owned by Daimler-Benz, and they have unbeatable lease deals to the non-union plant employees(we are union, and in contract negotiations, so could potentially get it at our plant).

Pretty much get a variety of different models for ultracheap. Drive them for 10000 miles, and turn them in and get another.. 1 year leases. No downpayment etc.. just fill out the forms and pick what you want and they pull the lease pmt from the checking account. Simple. Can get a C250 for $270/mo, ML $320/mo etc.. I'll ****** that deal up when they open it up for us. Want an ML also.. love the looks of the new ones.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

I got to ride in a borrowed ML320 back in 2001, from Fl to PA for a race. We towed the car and it was trouble-free and comfortable the whole way. I was impressed how easily it handled the trailer, which was surely more than the vehicle was rated to tow, considering all our gear. I rode in a GLK250? last week... BlueTEC? Anyway, diesel and you could hardly tell inside, or out. Very nice indeed.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

We got a 2011 ML350 Bluetec w/Avantgarde package - fully loaded. It is the last of that generations styling (2012 had new styling) but the overall mechanics are largely untouched. It has 35000 miles. We cross shopped it with the GLK diesel but found (again getting old here) that the back of the GLK wouldn't have enough room for our 2 medium-large breed dogs. Add to that some really good pricing from the dealer on the ML and we made a deal. Will likely upgrade in 4 years to either a one year old or new ML or possibly GL if little ones happen in our life.

A little more on topic, I still love this R8 pulling the GTR!

Last edited by NW-99SS; 02-17-2014 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We got a 2011 ML350 Bluetec w/Avantgarde package - fully loaded. It is the last of that generations styling (2012 had new styling) but the overall mechanics are largely untouched. It has 35000 miles. We cross shopped it with the GLK diesel but found (again getting old here) that the back of the GLK wouldn't have enough room for our 2 medium-large breed dogs. Add to that some really good pricing from the dealer on the ML and we made a deal. Will likely upgrade in 4 years to either a one year old or new ML or possibly GL if little ones happen in our life.

A little more on topic, I still love this R8 pulling the GTR!
Sounds like a good deal. Just be sure to have an extended warranty on it that covers electronics etc. BMW's, and Benz vehicles are known for little quirks and issues out of warranty that can get pretty expensive to fix.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

I like the ML better myself, but part of it is that the "box look" of the GLK isn't as nice to me. On the other hand, this new GLK isn't nearly as boxed as the full size G SUV. The one I just rode in is a 2014 and still has the box styling, but the corners don't appear nearly as sharp as past models. It's also far less expensive than the ML, base MSRP. The ML, way back, had A/C vents that would help keep your soda can cold... The GLK I was in didn't have those and is 14yrs newer, so I'm confident there are standard features in the ML which aren't in the GLK. Even so, the one I was in stickered well over 50k. It's stunning, really, considering base price, but it sure was nice.

And yeah, that R8 looks really good pulling away from a car everyone is familiar with as "VERY QUICK AND FAST."
Old 02-17-2014, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
Sounds like a good deal. Just be sure to have an extended warranty on it that covers electronics etc. BMW's, and Benz vehicles are known for little quirks and issues out of warranty that can get pretty expensive to fix.
The father-in-law is a mechanic at MB in Victoria, BC which obviously swayed our decision in favor of an MB and the ML Bluetec in particular. He isn't close enough to do any work (700+ miles) but his dealership connection is there so the service department can't pull off anything shady even if they tried. We also got extended warranties at cost due to family pricing

I like the ML better myself, but part of it is that the "box look" of the GLK isn't as nice to me. On the other hand, this new GLK isn't nearly as boxed as the full size G SUV. The one I just rode in is a 2014 and still has the box styling, but the corners don't appear nearly as sharp as past models. It's also far less expensive than the ML, base MSRP. The ML, way back, had A/C vents that would help keep your soda can cold... The GLK I was in didn't have those and is 14yrs newer, so I'm confident there are standard features in the ML which aren't in the GLK. Even so, the one I was in stickered well over 50k. It's stunning, really, considering base price, but it sure was nice.

And yeah, that R8 looks really good pulling away from a car everyone is familiar with as "VERY QUICK AND FAST."
We didn't like the rear of the GLK that much, even though I don't mind the front. It is essentially the same idea as our older X3, an SUV on a car platform. Car like driving position and interior with a little more room in the back.

Initially we went to BMW to buy a 2013 X3 35i M Sport, but as said, the salesman treated us horribly, and thought he could pressure us into a sale (sorry bud, I'm not 19 and do not respond to pressure tactics with luxury SUVs - they're everywhere). Anyway, I had already booked test drives with Audi and MB so we could get a good comparison of all the models in our price range. The ML won hands down for space, comfort, and good power with excellent fuel econ from the diesel.

Agreed, love seeing Godzilla taken down every now and then. Would hate to read the Youtube comments on it though
Old 02-18-2014, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Not a fan of Audis and wouldn't want to drive an R8 for day to day stuff. Oh and this:

My car vs my friend's Audi R8. Both of us only had a tune at the time making about the same power (~480whp). He had that car, turboed it, wrecked it and just finished building this beast:

http://www.luxury4play.com/lamborghi...nd-racing.html

He has a new SL with the UGR 2R kit making 1800whp. I don't think many people are going to be able to touch him in Texas.

Last edited by TheHitman; 02-18-2014 at 12:43 AM.

Quick Reply: UGR R8 vs HKS GTR - Mexico Racing League